GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 05:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Christmas Story ... of sorts  (Read 1871 times)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« on: December 24, 2009, 03:53 PM »

I have been shipping packages via the US Postal Service every day for the past eight years. Given some of the horror stories I have heard (though not as many as when a certain Florida "kite builder" used to frequent these forums  Roll Eyes) you might conclude that the post office can't do anything right.

Here's a story that I felt I had to share.

Email received this morning (12/24) -

"Hi Steve- I work at the Post Office in Cambridge Massachusetts. We received a pkg from your company today with the addressee's information completely ripped off. Since it's probably a xmas gift I didn't want to return it to you. What is intact is your return add and a delivery confirmation number : 420 02139 9405 5036 9930 0092 5590 65. If you can track down the recipient we will be happy to deliver it. Or if you prefer we can return it to you. Please contact me- Adrienne - or Patty @ 617/575/8700 ex 200 at your earliest convenience. Thank You

PS Tried to call you a couple of times, but line was constantly busy. I guess that's a good thing. Happy Holidays!!!"

Called and spoke with Adrienne and the package is now on its way!

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 04:44 PM »

It often seems like USPS & the shipping companies barely do the minimum, it's nice to see someone take the time & do the right thing.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
ozonejim
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 07:34 PM »

There is a SANTA Smiley

moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 08:09 PM »

Merry Christmas Steve, Chris and family. You're good people and I'm blessed to know you.
And a Merry Christmas to all.

Say Good Night Dick
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 08:24 PM »

That is awesome, Steve! Thanks for posting the story. I need a big thumbs up emoticon here. Oh, like this...

A Merry Christmas to you, Chris and your growing family. And to all the members of the forum. 

Bob
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 12:53 AM »

good thing you called them before i did, and had them send it to me. Tongue

all kidding aside, it's nice to hear a positive story. thanks steve. merry christmas.

Fdeli
kiteman
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 04:13 AM »

A Merry Christmas to Steve and Chris and all of you who read this. Have a Great New Year, and hope for our country in the coming year!!!

Don
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 04:16 AM »

Have sent and received many items through the USPS.  All have been good experiences except one. I always ship insured now.   Wink

There are good people wherever you look.  Thanks for posting Steve.

Merry Christmas!  Grin
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 07:31 AM »

Perfect Christmas story, that's a little above & beyond, bravo  Smiley

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
onlye
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 10:39 AM »

Merry Christmas Steve.

Great story.  Maybe after a few days it would be cool to print your story and comments and mail them to the USPS Post Master as a complement to the outstanding service provided.

I have been trading kites for years via USPS and in all that time only ONE bad experience.  Steve in Canada got a kite from me with some extra metal weights added to the box.  Seems my box and another got broken open and they just mixed the items.  Aside from that, the postal service does a great job getting the package there.  The people working the front counter at my local Madison, MS post office are as nice as any business in town.

eric
forum member since 04/21/2001
and still can't fly like those darn videos
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 11:11 AM »

That's pretty cool. Even with all the extra pressure, the holidays brings out the good in folks.

We had a similar experince very early Christmas morning. Our daughter flew in from Ireland late on the 23rd with one suitcase lost in transit. Of course it was the one with all the presents! After hours spent on a snipe hunt at two airports on Christmas eve we gave up.

A knock on the door came at 1:30AM and a cheeful guy was at our door delivering the suitcase. He was Santa in disguise. :-)

Allen, AKA kitehead
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 05:02 PM »

Kite was delivered this morning.  Turns out it wasn't a Christmas present but that takes nothing away from the story.  I will be contacting the Postmaster in Cambridge to express my gratitude for these thoughtful employees.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum