GWTW Forum
November 25, 2014, 01:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: level one kites sliding weight systems?  (Read 3332 times)
tommymcmillan
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: December 23, 2009, 08:52 AM »

can someone please explain in detail how to use the sliding weight system on these kites?
#1 c21
#2 jtm
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 08:53 AM »

i thought that the idea was to add a bit of centrifugal force to the weights position...that i during a pitch based trick the weight would slide and give a bit of extra kick.....
not certain how well it actually worked though.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
johnfarl
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 09:00 AM »

I heard the sliding system was not very good.  I was flying genesis' where they had dropped the sliding system.  I would fix the weights on the nose and/or tail to suit your own personal needs.

I think the problem with some sort of moving weight is the changes in inertia would make everything more difficult.

John
kiten00b
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:02 AM »

It's the kite that clicks!
file under gimmicks
fworley
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 11:24 AM »

file under gimmicks

Have you flown a kite with the TWS ?

Have you designed a kite or your own ?

And or some alternative weighting system ?

I'm just wondering what you think qualifies you to make such a statement ?

-Frazer
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 11:29 AM by fworley » Logged
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 12:42 PM »

file under gimmicks

-Frazer

And WHAT qualifies YOU to make such a statement? Cool

"Do what you like"
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 01:02 PM »

My C21 and C21x had that weight system and it was fun. The way it is made is with 2 pieces of elastic on each and to dampen the impact of the weight when it was sliding from one end to the other. Let say you would flip the kite on is back you had to wait a little for the weight to slide to the front and then the kite would sit deeper (same for other pitch stuff) pretty neat but....Not the greatest inovation!!!

The new Frank!
fworley
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 01:34 PM »

And WHAT qualifies YOU to make such a statement? Cool

I wasn't making a statement ... I was asking a question ...

Next ...

-Frazer
kiten00b
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 04:18 PM »

Yes, I had a C21 Extreme

Yes, though nothing groundbreaking. I've made several dozen kites over the years for my own amusement.

only if you count substituting an appropriately sized pebble when I lost the one for my Cesium.

-Frazer
just my opinion. I am allowed opinions here, aren't I?
Fast EDDY
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 04:33 PM »

Ya I have made a Couple different types of this system. One on Strings through holes, One one elastic like the the two kites mentioned, and another Kite that just used the sail as tension to allow the weights to slide around. For the most part in ""MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE"" None of the systems I tried to get to work really did much good. I found that the Weights Moving usually had the kite either falling behind my Motions. Or just lagging in what I needed it to do here and now.

Have you designed a kite or your own?
I have designed 4 different Kites in which I fly one still to this day. However now a days I am just a part of Team Kite Krafters in which I am just a Kite Tweaker and usually just twist and turn a Kite up and get all the performance out of a Kite that can be found. Once I have watched a Pilot fly and know there flying style and hand motions etc.

And or some alternative weighting system?
I can safly say I was the first one to put a weight system into my Elixir by Prism  and my Gemini by Benson that were both c interchangeable with each other. That was in 2001 but I used Lead for the weights and Aluminum for the center T's. The Trick was Making TWO of everything for the Gemini and once that was done the equal weights was easy!~!

I didn't make the statement, however I have been around the block now for 24 plus years in the industry and a comp pilot and Test pilot as well as a Instructor. Does that qualify me for anything in your eyes or mind set???
711jrp

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 04:56 PM »

Watch out JW looks like fast EDDY is out for your crown....

Pigs might fly, but only if you bridle them right!!

Pete
Fast EDDY
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 12:34 AM »

Have you designed a kite or your own?
I have designed 4 different Kites in which I fly one still to this day. However now a days I am just a part of Team Kite Krafters in which I am just a Kite Tweaker and usually just twist and turn a Kite up and get all the performance out of a Kite that can be found. Once I have watched a Pilot fly and know there flying style and hand motions etc.

Hi Eddy, Did you design and build the Mach I & Mach II that's hanging in Buz's shop?
thanks, Norm

Nope  Norm  I was not the person who designed that kite and its remake. I was around furing that time and I had a Mack 2 at one point and it flew Great in its day. Then the Elixer and Gemini came out and they just Topped it hands down.
  Even Still its a Nice Intermidiate Kite and will do most of the Old school tricks with some effort. 

Fast EDDY

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum