GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 06:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOW's Kite Making and Kite Repair Workshop - January 23rd  (Read 1380 times)
jsking
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 16, 2009, 05:59 PM »

Howdy team! We'll be holding a kite making and kite repair workshop on January 23rd. This will be held at our "indoor place", the Bay Area Community Church in Crownsville, MD. I'm still coordinating the exact room and times with the church, but I'm shooting for 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM. This is way more than enough time to make our project kite, so don't feel as though it will take that whole time. As a kite making project, we'll be making Stan Kellar's "Gentle Giant Buka" (http://www.members.tripod.com/stanley119/gentle_giant_buka.htm). This is a very simple buka dako plan, and it is a very nice light wind kite. At 26 1/2" x 19 1/2", it's bigger than your average buka fighter, hence it's slower and easier to fly. A nice thing about this kite is that it can be flown as a fighter (or "in fighter style", if you will), or you can attach a small drogue (or tails) to steady it down so it can be flown as a stable single line kite. The rectangular sail is nice for applique for more experienced kite makers, yet the plan is very simple and easy to make for novices. In addition, we'll be discussing various simple construction options during the making of the kite. (I know this is a very easy plan, but I hope you will join us in fellowship at the workshop)

If you wish to attend and make the Gentle Giant Buka, we would prefer for you to bring your own fabric. For this kite, less than half a yard (in 54" wide fabric terms) is needed. The plan requires one piece of half-ounce nylon or polyester fabric at least 26.5" x 19.5" (or 27" x 19.75" if making no-sew side & trailing edges). The kit (parts) fee will be $15.00 per kite.

Alternatively, if you happen to have the materials (or some of...) on hand, you may bring your own and/or purchase or borrow some supplies from me at the workshop. We'll work out cost case-by-case. I will have some limited fabric available for purchase as well, but not much. A "full" kit including fabric will be $22.50, however the preference is for attendees to bring their own fabric, if possible. See the attached copy of the plan for a supply list. Note, however, that there can be many substitutions for a lot of the materials, so the list is not set in stone. Because this kite can be flown fighter style, I recommend an additional color fabric(s) to applique or join seams to create some sort of pattern or design that will make it readily apparent to the flyer which edge is the leading edge. We hope to have some scrap fabric available for this purpose, if anyone cares to explore this option. This is not absolutely necessary, however; a single color will make a fine kite. Further, we can also take the time to knock out optional drogues for the kites, if anyone wishes to do that.

Also, if you have another design you're working on or would like to work on, feel free to do that at this workshop if you'd like.

Bring the following recommended tools/accessories, if you have them, as you feel you may need and according to the complexity of the work you anticipate. But please note: These are not all required by any means for the workshop, nor is this list all-inclusive. A simple, single color buka will not require much of this. Many of these items are more relevant for somewhat more complex applique/kite making work:
hot knife
hot tacker
sewing machine, needles, and thread
power strip
extension cord
desk lamp (free standing or table-clamp style)
cutting mat
rotary cutter or x-acto/breakoff razor knife with fresh blade(s)
spray adhesive and cleaner(solvent)
blue painter's tape or duct tape
super glue
9460 'no-sew' tape
pencil(s) and sharpener
metal yardstick or straightedge
carpenter's square
dremel tool with cutoff wheel(s)
fine-toothed hacksaw
scissors
applique scissors
sandpaper/emery cloth/emery board

Many or all of these things will be available to borrow, so don't feel you have to buy them just for this workshop. Further, I hope to have some masonite sail patterns to work with so as to make it easy and quick for all to cut sails. I hope to have one pattern for a raw, hot-cut edge (per the plan), and another pattern for fold-over, no-sew sharp side and trailing edges. (Note here that this is one of the options for construction)

This will also be a kite repair workshop. If you have a kite in need of repair (or if you have a project of your own you'd like to work on or could use help with), this workshop is the place. We should have some experienced kite makers on hand to assist.

Please RSVP to me by January 13th if you'd like to make the Gentle Giant Buka so I know how many kits we'll need. As it stands, I believe we'll have enough materials to make around 20, but we can get more if needed.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:25 AM by jsking » Logged

Jeff
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 06:13 PM »

any chance someone could just purchase the kit???someone who is not a WOW member....and lives in Massachusetts???

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
jsking
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 06:14 AM »

I reckon I could set one aside for you when I'm putting the kits together next month. Drop me an e-mail & let me know if you want fabric, too, and we'll work it all out.

Jeff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document