GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 11:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KTAI January (Any Rumors?)  (Read 3355 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: December 30, 2009, 03:36 PM »

This use to be a bid deal on the Forum.

Of course, so was the AKA Nationals.

Prisms showing a new foil, at least from the ad in Kiting Magazine.

Anything else? Bueller?

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 03:38 PM »

I hear crickets.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 03:40 PM »

I hear dead crickets.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
KaoS
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 05:04 PM »

Maybe a new Robert Brasington / New Tech single liner...

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 06:52 PM »

well i, for one, am excited kent is going to show off his great ivanpah race buggies. they really are an a-class piece of work.

anyone coming to the show, be sure and put your butt in one. it's as comfortable as my living room couch.

Fdeli
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 09:26 PM »

well i, for one, am excited kent is going to show off his great ivanpah race buggies. they really are an a-class piece of work.

Indeed.... the head tube, gooseneck, and footpegs are works of art.  If they ever made a matte/bead blasted one, I would have to start selling blood.

ATB,
Sam
kiten00b
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 10:53 PM »

fidelio

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 02:34 AM »

If they ever made a matte/bead blasted one, I would have to start selling blood.
you might make an appointment, 'cause you can get it powder coated in any color you want and i'd imagine matte would be part of that. i can ask him on friday, or you can ring him up.

out here in vegas, my thought for a really cool one would be a matte desert tan, like an army humvee.

Fdeli
DGomberg

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 07:24 AM »

No secret that the economy/kite industry/kite community is in a slump.

There are certainly fewer kite manufacturers than ten years ago -- and fewer stores too. And in that environment, remaining store owners don't need to spend $$$ to attend a show when they get the catalogs weeks earlier, are offered the same discounts, and expect sales reps to drop by for a personal visit in March. They can buy everything they need from one supplier and keep things simple. And then stores all start to look the same to knowledgeable kiters.

Actually, there are a few more exhibitors signed up for KTAI this year. But they are auxiliary products for kite shops and of little interest to readers here. Magic or juggling anyone??

Generally, kite stores are minimizing inventory and focusing on product of interest to their mainstream buyers. And kite manufacturers are investing in stuff that will sell in the primary market. Again, not too much for more serious kiters.

We have a new Double Delta Conyne, several larger/longer tails, and the BullDog Parafoil (under license of course!). We also have some new 7 foot deltas and a mini windsock for car antenna.

GKPI product for advanced fliers will be introduced on our web page throughout the year rather than shown to the stores in January. Simply not what they are looking for. And not whom I'm selling it to either.

Looking for a new product buzz? Check the small commercial designers (who don't sell wholesale), or the web pages that cater to serious fliers and search out exotic cool new stuff.

KTAI needs to focus on the basics -- how to sell a $50 kite package to a family visiting the beach for a weekend. That's how the stores pay the bills and stay open. Turning those occasional kiters into the kind of consumers who frequent this forum will take time, education, and some luck.

dg
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 07:28 AM by DGomberg » Logged
fidelio

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 08:09 AM »

having rejoined the sport almost 2 years ago now after a 15 year hiatus, what i've noticed is 'the community' and 'the industry' and 'the association' has a pervasive exclusionary attitude. by this i mean single liners don't want to talk to dual liners, and dual liners don't want to know about quad liners, and nobody wants to talk to power kiters or surf kiters. this all serves to fracture into tiny groups, groups which are already fractured by age and lifestyle.

someone, or some group with some influence needs to reiterate the idea, we all hang kites in the sky for one reason, the fun of it.

not being part of the trade, i can't comment on internal forces, but from the outside, this would seem to be the biggest reason for the slump.

all in all, when compared to other ways people have to spend their money for entertainment, even expensive kites are cheap entertainment. so i don't subscribe to the idea the economy is to blame. ask walmart if their sales are slumping.

Fdeli
fidelio

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 08:22 AM »

by my statement i certainly don't wish to step on any toes or contradict what others have said, i simply offer up my perspective as a fresh viewpoint from a relative outsider.

Fdeli
kiteking

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 10:02 AM »

what i've noticed is 'the community' and 'the industry' and 'the association' has a pervasive exclusionary attitude. by this i mean single liners don't want to talk to dual liners, and dual liners don't want to know about quad liners, and nobody wants to talk to power kiters or surf kiters. this all serves to fracture into tiny groups, groups which are already fractured by age and lifestyle.

I don't see this at all!! Maybe i fly with a different class of kiteflyers but when I am in a group its all about flying not the type or number of lines

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

DGomberg

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 10:06 AM »

No offense taken! And while I'm not sure we are as fragmented as you suggest, I agree completely that we're all in this together.

BTW -- GKPI specializes in large single-line kites, we organize the World Sport Kite Championship, and this week we'll announce a special new custom Rev on our site. But I'm too old and fat for kite surfing....

dg

indigo_wolf

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 10:25 AM »

But I'm too old and fat for kite surfing....

dg

Pretty sure I know someone in Japan that would disagree with you, but....

Could we interest you in some pontoons then?  Operators are standing by now....  Wink

Wink  Wink  Wink

ATB,
Sam
DGomberg

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 12:47 PM »

Cool. That takes care of the fat part..... Wink

dg
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography