GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 01:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KTAI January (Any Rumors?)  (Read 3717 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 01:31 PM »

But you're the man, Mr. G, and that goes a long way.

Stay young at heart.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 02:25 PM »

OK... on a semi-serious note.....  Huh  Huh  Huh

HQ has anounced a bunch of kites for 2010.... dual lines for the most part.  Their single lines historically have not been heavily promoted.  I expect new models of the latter will be snuck into stores throughout the year.  I expect there are a few 2009 SLKs that most people aren't even aware of.   

FWIW: I am still not ready to condemn HQ for the Yon yet.  The big thing about the Skydance was that it was a variable camber quad.  On the Yon the leading edge looks braced.  It might have the same shape but fly totally differently as a result of that.... time will tell.

Premier just flat out mystifies me at times.  Val Deale and some of the others are great and I expect they would give you the shirt off their back, but new model information is like pulling something out of a rusty bear trap.  New colors for the Trick & Track as well as the Vision.  Complete redo of the Aero-Gliders.   They already market/license some of Carsten Domann's kites, so why they heck they won't do the same with his Genki eludes me (it's been available in EU/UK for a year or two now).  The Dimension X looks new. The Corner Box looks new.  The Excaliber isn't new (maybe 2 years old, but this is the first year they have included it in the public catalog with any prominence).

I expect that Prism might have something besides the Tensor at KTAI.  However, 2 (?) years ago I think Mark decided that instead of doing annual releases, Prism would realease kites as they reached point X in the production cycle. Pluses and minuses to that, but given some of the slippages from both Prism and other manufacturers, not totally without merit.

R-Sky brought out a whole bunch of SLKs.  Some more iterations of the Nirvana seem likely. It also seems like they might add a couple of entries on the lower rungs to get people interested at a lower price point.

I consider the Rev Zen a 2010 model for all practical purpose. I think the 1.5 travel frames came along late enough to be counted as 2010 or at least 2009.5.

Ken is baking cookies at Blue Moon... so that looks pretty promising.  Wink

Maybe it is narrow margins or distributor exclusivity, but I really, really wish more than one retailer carried stuff by Elliot.  At the very, very least, I wish more of the product line was represented in the States.

Things (including marketing) seems to work differently on the other side of the fence.  However, with the exception of cross-border manufacturers, not sure some of these folks will be at KTAI.

Ground Industries has a new board line-up, as well as new running gear for 2010.  The have been promoting stuff on their Facebook page for weeks now and shipping out 2010 merchandise as fast as they can get it from their warehouses. Not even sure they are KTAI members.

Chargers from Peter Lynn are making their way to the US for 2010.  And there are rumours of a Phantom II.

Ozone got a 2010 refresh for their kites and an entry level Fixed-Bridle Snowkite in a box.

HQ has new models of most if not all of their 2009 Power Kite lineup.

It really, really would be a nice thing if there was a 2010 New Kite Booklet/Pamphlet (even e-format) put out shortly after KTAI.  Roll Eyes

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 02:28 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
Revgod
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 05:33 PM »

No secret that the economy/kite industry/kite community is in a slump.

I'll agree with that

Actually, there are a few more exhibitors signed up for KTAI this year. But they are auxiliary products for kite shops and of little interest to readers here. Magic or juggling anyone??

Generally, kite stores are minimizing inventory and focusing on product of interest to their mainstream buyers. And kite manufacturers are investing in stuff that will sell in the primary market. Again, not too much for more serious kiters.

We have a new Double Delta Conyne, several larger/longer tails, and the BullDog Parafoil (under license of course!). We also have some new 7 foot deltas and a mini windsock for car antenna.

GKPI product for advanced fliers will be introduced on our web page throughout the year rather than shown to the stores in January. Simply not what they are looking for. And not whom I'm selling it to either.

Really? Interesting. How do you know what I am or am not looking for? I'm tempted to start a debate with you on this one, but I will refrain.

Looking for a new product buzz? Check the small commercial designers (who don't sell wholesale), or the web pages that cater to serious fliers and search out exotic cool new stuff.

Hmmm, another interesting comment urging kite fliers to bypass kite stores for their kite purchases?

KTAI needs to focus on the basics -- how to sell a $50 kite package to a family visiting the beach for a weekend. That's how the stores pay the bills and stay open. Turning those occasional kiters into the kind of consumers who frequent this forum will take time, education, and some luck.

dg

My first reaction to this post is not a favorable one.....I need to think about this one a bit more and perhaps make a phone call to Mr. Gomberg.

Steve's CTR
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 06:41 PM »

revgod..i would love to hear your thoughts.....i worked in a shop for 9 years...and have seen/experienced  both sides of the industry......and that also caused me to branch out in my own direction.....
feel free to drop me an email if you would like a chat!!!!
rob

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Revgod
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2010, 08:01 PM »

After a very nice conversation with Mr. Gomberg, it appears that I misinterpreted a few of his opinions. All is good and I am now clear and agree with Mr. Gomberg. We plan to have a good laugh about it at the KTAI in a week or so!

Steve's CTR
rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 08:17 AM »

Well New Tech has an assortment of new kites from Rob Brazington and a new line of Dual lines  sport kites. More details .... The pressure from powers at KTAI is to make attending the show something special for the shops that commit. SO more info to follow.
Rob

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change