GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 10:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tablet computer concept  (Read 7040 times)
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 04:12 AM »

We just got Terminator, Salvation from the library! And that's a pretty new release. (I deleted it from my NetFlix queue.)

(BTW, I was disappointed. I expected more of a continuation of the story line instead of filling in the history of John Connor. The effects were good but the first two were definitely the best.)

Bob D.
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2010, 06:24 AM »

first terminator is still my fav, but 2 and 3 dont really measure up for me after watching the fourth. Even tho Ch. Bale's in it. It was still pretty good
fworley
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 08:03 AM »

Or ... how about this from Lenovo ... the best of both worlds ?

http://gizmodo.com/5440922/ideapad-u1-hybrid-hands+on-meet-voltron-he-could-be-amazing?skyline=true&s=x

-Frazer (I work on that processor)
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 08:37 AM »

Can we please beat the living crap out of the person who decided to bring back shiny, reflective displays (only thing worse is surrounding it with a piano black... read shiny case/chasis).  This is unfortunately a trend in the past 12-18 months.  Someone really, really needs a trip back out to the woodshed.

ATB,
Sam
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 09:00 AM »

http://gizmodo.com/5440922/ideapad-u1-hybrid-hands+on-meet-voltron-he-could-be-amazing?skyline=true&s=x

-Frazer (I work on that processor)

Close & would be exciting but why two computers? that detachable screen needs the full processor & OS in it, OS would be Windows 7 Touch, second battery in the keyboard for extended use. Then we're talking.

And yes the glass on touch screen needs a matted finish, the lid the screen snaps into needs to snap off the keyboard and be reversable to protect the screen if I just want to carry the tablet. Do that and I'm first in line.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 09:01 AM »

I like the way you think, Mike.  Smiley

ATB,
Sam
fworley
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 09:08 AM »

Close & would be exciting but why two computers? that detachable screen needs the full processor & OS in it, OS would be Windows 7 Touch, second battery in the keyboard for extended use. Then we're talking

Why ? Because tablets are going to be the hot ticket ... Kindle's, iSlate ... the industry banking on them and smartbooks. This crossover product would likely have more appeal ... a tablet when you want one (surfing) and a netbook/notebook when you don't (office apps etc).

The tablet runs on a ARM processor ... its always on (when undocked) ... battery life will be > 8 hours ...

The laptop is Intel based ... is running Windows 7 and battery life will pretty much suck.

I don't know if its a good idea / big seller or not ... but it is something interesting and different at least.

-Frazer
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:10 AM by fworley » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 01:57 PM »

I like the way you think, Mike.  Smiley

Been dreaming of it for years, but you can't make an all in one product to replace a half dozen devices though can you? See that logic below.

Why ? Because tablets are going to be the hot ticket ... Kindle's, iSlate ... the industry banking on them and smartbooks. This crossover product would likely have more appeal ... a tablet when you want one (surfing) and a netbook/notebook when you don't (office apps etc).

Because I need my office apps 100% of the time, even if I had to run them using a half size virtual keyboard on the touch screen when all I have is the tablet with me, it allows me to work without lugging a ten pound computer case around. I need to be able to do invoicing, email and have my scheduler, and most importantly the GWTW forum.

The tablet would only need a 32 gig solid state drive, since when I'm using it exclusively I don't need huge storage, a couple books, a selection of music maybe a movie for lunch breaks & access to the futures ePapers & eMag's. So it has to have the wireless, blue-tooth & a Verizon card onboard too. But give me a nVidia graphics processor and a dual core Centrino minimum. The base/keyboard would have the optical drive and a huge hard drive for storage along with that second battery. Now I'm thin and light as a tablet and with two batteries I have 10 hours + unconnected life when I'm traveling. Batteries are interchangeable if I need to extend the tablet life on the road when I haven't made it to the hotel yet, since on an extended trip I'd be packing the whole shebang anyway but still I'd only need to carry the tablet in my briefcase for those meetings or classes I've come to attend.

Oh and while your at it stick a GPS unit in there like on the Atigo so I can dock it on my dash for use as a Garmin.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 02:06 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 09:18 PM »

I still want something to read a book on without wrecking my vision.

I'd like to see a hybrid that incorporates epaper somewhere in the design.

Maybe something like a Kindle but with a virtual keyboard/LCD screen for web.

Or Kindle one side netbook t'other.

fworley
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 09:20 PM »

I still want something to read a book on without wrecking my vision.

I'd like to see a hybrid that incorporates epaper somewhere in the design.

Maybe something like a Kindle but with a virtual keyboard/LCD screen for web.

Or Kindle one side netbook t'other.

Surely the iSlate will be a reader/Kindle too ... its fugged otherwise ...

-Frazer
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 09:47 PM »

Possibly.. one would think likely.. but who knows at this point?

Still waiting for a really viable all in one device.

Apple probably has the best shot at it, going by the iPhone.

If they can work that kind of user interface into an eBook/netbook/phone.. that'd be something.

Might even be worth a Grand.  Undecided
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 03:09 AM »

Might even be worth a Grand.  Undecided
more like, 24 easy payments of $99.99/mo with unlimited data plan and $399 up front. Roll Eyes

Fdeli
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 06:42 AM »

That Atigo in another thread supposedly had an "All Light" screen, having never seen one I can't say it was. My sister likes to write while in the park so I set her up with a hot key to run the Microsoft Accessibilty features into a high contrast mode, basically black & white environment, and she was quite happy iwth that.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 11:32 AM »

a bunch of tablet stuff from the CES show...by boingboing

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/07/ces-in-brief.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boingboing%2FiBag+(Boing+Boing)&utm_content=Google+Reader

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
fworley
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 05:48 PM »

Heres an interesting display technology ...

http://www.marketwatch.com/video/asset/yho/%7B690F7FA8-24A6-4BC2-87C4-7EF44CA1E878%7D?siteid=yhoo

This could definitely be used into a compelling-Kindle-killing type device.

-Frazer
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change