GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 06:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tablet computer concept  (Read 6418 times)
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 30, 2009, 06:43 PM »

Really great video about a concept tablet/digital magazine.

Hopefully this is what the possible apple tablet will be.  I personally love magazines, so I find this concept pretty cool. I like lots of big pictures and the digital would allow for a limitless number vs print media.  And you don't have to get rid of stacks of old magazines.  There could be an app store for magazines and other media, one click to subscribe/buy.  I'd read way more magazines if I didn't have to deal with subscriptions and all that bs.
John Welden

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 07:19 PM »

i know size, price, weight, battery life, and the like all play a role, but those things didn't keep people from adopting laptops or cell phones. so why not the tablet pc?

I think size, price, weight  and battery life are all less important than the user interface.  No one has got it right so far.  Having  unique tablet media will be key.  If it's just a web browser for web pages, it will fail. It can't just be a touch screen lap top with  osx or windows. It will probably be similar to the iphone os.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 07:45 PM »

you're absolutely right, and once beyond a certain capability, the hardware itself becomes irrelevant, but both those things are subjugated to the quality of the content. it's good to see in the video they're focused on the appropriate things, but you're talking about remaking the entire print industry. they're all scrambling to find the right new way to reach their audience, hopefully before they run out of money and go under, but it's hard to imagine enough consensus among content providers and their lawyers, to make this a reality anytime soon.

on that basis, i'd put this 5-10 years out, not 1-5. at least in the form on display in the video. too bad too, because what they're showing, looks great.

what is shown is also not general purpose enough to call it a tablet computer in my opinion, in the way a digital picture frame and an amazon kindle aren't computers either.

we don't as yet have a good name for it, other than repurposing the general term 'tablet' to refer to this new type of device since the word tablet itself has no significant relevance to anything in our world anymore.

Fdeli
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 08:31 PM »

Its tough to re-make an industry like magazine (or cable) over-night.    I think the key will be for someone like Apple to deliver a real tablet product and start the ball rolling with a few magazines to start.  Their success will lead to everyone jumping on-board - just like it did with music and videos through iTunes.

I think its inevitable - 1-3 years at most.

6 kite tom
fidelio

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 11:18 PM »

bezos is pretty committed to leading this market. with the head start the kindle has i wouldn't bet against him at this point. amazon being the digital equivalent to walmart, he could also flex his muscle to bring content providers on board and in line. the big problem he faces with amazon is they were pretty late to the party on the digital distribution front, but they're catching up fast. will they be able to cement their lead before other major players make their announcements into the arena? ie. apple, who have yet to say anything official.

Fdeli
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 11:28 PM »

I agree with John in that we really need someone who an make a decent UI for a tablet.  I like the Kindle ok - but it just looks cheap and why, oh why, can I not turn a page by just swiping the screen (you know, like an actual book would do).  All those buttons - its so 2006!  Smiley

I also wonder if people who aren't technical folks really want to read on a screen.  I use a computer all day so I don't think twice about it, but I'm not so sure everyone feels that way.  I guess, if what happened with music can predict the future, this will follow and we will all trade quality for convenience, selection, and price.

6 kite tom
fidelio

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 02:48 AM »

the rumors on the next kindle say it'll be an 8 1/2 x 11" touch screen. i'd bet the reason it's not today is to meet a price point.

ereader, epaper, eink screens are technically very different than flat screen lcd's so the ability to do extended reading on them isn't as tiresome to your eyes as a computer screen. whether or not people will want to was kind of answered this christmas season with amazon selling more kindle books than physical books. the real question is did amazon sell more kindle books than brick and mortar retailers sold physical books? beats me.

Fdeli
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 08:40 AM »

Good idea. if it'll last all day like a real newspaper i buy, then price is the tie-breaker. I dont own an ipod or a kindle cuz im picky about size, price, weight  and battery life are all just as important as the user interface. I've decided a netbook like the samsung go works fine during the day for 300$. But i'd love to get behind something sooo Jetsons.
Oh yeah and im not paying 1500$ bucks plus. Sad
Who owns all the newspapers and radio stations in the US? I think he'll have something to say about this. Roll Eyes
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 09:27 AM »

Apple iSlate coming January 26th  Huh

Steve
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
John Welden

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 09:56 AM »

It boggles my mind that Amazon, with a zillion dollars in the bank, can't hire an industrial designer who isn't an idiot.  The kindle is awful. What were they thinking? Maybe it's one of those products that the board of directors had a hand in. I guess it's selling well; maybe I'm the one with bad taste.

It would be cool if the potential magazine app store was open to everyone, big or small.  Kitelife could go on there and charge a small fee.  Users pay Apple, Apple pays kitelife.  The AKA magazine would be cool too because they wouldn't be so limited by high publishing costs. Adobe Page Maker will probably have a publish to app store button.  One click and your magazine is distributed.

fworley
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 10:03 AM »

Apple iSlate coming January 26th  Huh

You might want to wait a little for a Google based competitor - for less than half
the money.

Something like this perhaps ?

http://www.sci-tech-today.com/news/Google-Devices-May-Be-Just-Research/story.xhtml?story_id=13000EILCMNK

I'm sure the iSlate will be a gorgeous piece of kit - but I'm also sure it'll be $799 or worse  Sad

-Frazer
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 10:06 AM by fworley » Logged
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 11:27 AM »

If it's just a web browser for web pages, it will fail.

Using HTML/CSS to render print or print based media would be the height of idiocy. TeX/LaTeX would probably do better and at 30-35+ years has stood the test of time.

ATB,
Sam
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 04:56 PM »

See, I received one for Christmas and love it.

It is not a be-all end-all device. If you are looking for a big iPod you will be disappointed.

But as an eBook with the bookstore built in.. it is great.

That and the fact that it draws absolutely no power when it is not online.

Oh, and it is readable even in bright sunlight.

It's the perfect thing for the person who likes to read a lot of paperbacks or for vacation where you won't need to drag Ten books along.

Eventually, someone is going to have to develop a hybrid device with a split screen for eInk and the web.. now that will be something.

For right now, the Kindle is a pretty usable device for readers.

It boggles my mind that Amazon, with a zillion dollars in the bank, can't hire an industrial designer who isn't an idiot.  The kindle is awful. What were they thinking? Maybe it's one of those products that the board of directors had a hand in. I guess it's selling well; maybe I'm the one with bad taste.

It would be cool if the potential magazine app store was open to everyone, big or small.  Kitelife could go on there and charge a small fee.  Users pay Apple, Apple pays kitelife.  The AKA magazine would be cool too because they wouldn't be so limited by high publishing costs. Adobe Page Maker will probably have a publish to app store button.  One click and your magazine is distributed.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 05:26 PM by JimB » Logged
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 05:09 AM »

My brother-in-law has a Kindle and he likes it when he commutes to work. Me, I like technology and I've worked with PCs since 1984 and I've seen all the promises and the failures to deliver on those promises. I can appreciate what technology can I do but I'm not a sucker for the next thing.

Personally, I put a book from the library in my brief case and take it to work. I like turning the pages. I like skipping back to re-read something that I might have missed. I like reading the end if I'm not sure I want to read the book. And I REALLY like going to the library because everything there is FREE!

Bob D.
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 07:39 AM »

Yeah huh. I sont even know why i pay for netflix, the library has all the same movies the same day they come out! And for free!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography