GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 10:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on Fearless Vented  (Read 6296 times)
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: January 02, 2010, 02:40 PM »

Hi all,

I am currently flying an SD Light and Midvent and recently took proud ownership of a Fearless SUL. I've only had a couple of sessions on the kite, but so far I can say that I have clicked with the kite easily - looking forward to the next couple of months with it to really get a feel for it.

Question: Lam has recently provided me some info about the Fearless vented that it flies in the wind range of 3-30 mph and that really all I would need is two kites, the Fearless SUL and Vented.

Bearing in mind that Lam is a brilliant flyer and I am not, I was interested in people's experience with the Fearless Vented, particularly trickability across the wind range.

cheers

steve
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 03:45 PM »

hi steve, all i know is that tom bought 1 and his son took ownership no more vent for tom!! he will pitch in here i'm sure but from what i hear it does what he(lam) say's it does i know all of mine are a joy  and the wind range of the standard is up there   KO

have fun kurt
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 03:45 PM »

Ignore the quoted top end, most people would not consider flying in a true, measured 20 mph, let alone 30 mph.  At that wind speed you will have trouble standing upright at the beach, you will be sandblasted, and pelted with airborne trash.  Your lines will sing (screech, actually), your kite will travel extremely fast and you will fear damage as it passes the power zone.  Tricks? No way! Don't believe me?  Get a wind speed gauge! <rant mode over.>

More important to consider is whether there is sufficient overlap between the SUL and the Vent at the intermediate wind speed.  Does the Vent fly well at 4 mph?  Would you fly the SUL at that wind speed?  I've seen Lam fly a SUL all day in "standard" winds - but like you say, he is Lam

Best of luck with your search Steve

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
tpatter

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 04:10 PM »

I think you could get by with an SUL and Vent - SUL goes pretty high and the Vent goes pretty low.  For sure, I don't think you need both a Standard and a Vent if you are looking to save a little.   

The Vent also tricks like a dream - the turtle is even more stable than the standard.  I think that the venting changes the airflow enough to make this happen.  Many other vents I've flown sink like a stone in a turtle - not this one, its the easiest Fearless to get to do a riser.

KO is right - my son (a better flyer than I am for sure) usually only flys the Vent and the SUL.  For sure, he has sort of taken the kite over - I will need to get another one so that we can both fly!  Smiley

Having said all this, and probably due to my light local winds, the Light is my favorite - I would not do without that one. I end up flying it probably 75% when I go out.

The Vent is pretty sweet - and Lam now has 2 bridles for it so you can trick even higher! 

6 kite tom
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 04:42 PM »

+1 on the lite

have fun kurt
steve.hobart

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 04:47 PM »

thanks for all the comments and views.

Interesting comment on the lite - I currently fly my SD lite more than any other kite , leaving my SD midvent for around 10 mph and above (I find the midvent a little heavy and it's low end not particularly low).

If I was to move to the Fearless vented and SUL as my only two kites I would need to sell off my SD's....the question in my mid is will the Fearless SUL and Vented have a smooth crossover wind range or will there be a gap that my SD lite is currently filling....

cheers

steve
tpatter

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 09:13 PM »

Eli usually flys the Vent when I am flying the Light in probably 5/6 mph of wind - he really likes how it tricks and flys it whenever he can.  I think Rx has the SUL/Standard combination of Fearless if I recall correctly (no Light) and he seems happy.

If it were me, I'd go for all 3 since the Light is my favorite.  Like I said, I almost always fly the Light since it has such a wide range - its a great option if you are only taking out one kite.

6 kite tom
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 02:37 AM »

There is sufficient overlap between the SUL and the Vented, especially if you use 3pts lower spreaders, on the SUL.

According to Lam, and others, the Vented does lazies like the SUL. The Vented sits flat on its back, just the SUL. People have gotten two lazy rotations on just one pull, with the Vented.

Jay
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 10:28 AM »

I was all set to buy a std Fearless last summer but business has been slow so I put it off for a while. I like the standard vs. the light. I can fly it in almost as low of wind and when it picks up even a little, the standards extra mass is nicer.

Because i've waited, I guess I'll have to throw the vented into the mix now. I don't think I would buy a vented without trying it first since I've tried the others. That could be a problem for me. It's also a 100 bucks more than the standard.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 01:36 PM »

I happen to have all four of the Fearless kites. If I  had to pick two of the kites, I would take the lite and the vented kites. With the sul and the vented, there is a very small overlap in winds that I would feel comfortable flying in. You could always get both the 3PT and 5PT lower spreaders for the lite to extend the upper end of the wind. Also, flying the sul at 8 mph of wind, you are always praying that there will not be a gust of 12 or 15 mph because there goes your kite.  Cry

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
Dolphinboy

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 12:45 PM »

Have any of the vented owners flown it with the 3pt LS on?

How well does the vented handle bumpy winds?

Thanks,

James

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
tpatter

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 01:14 PM »

Handles bumpy very well - as expected, the vents smooth it out more when compared to the non-vents.  I have not yet tried 3pt lower spreaders, will give it a go next time I am out with it.

6 kite tom
Dolphinboy

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 10:34 AM »

Handles bumpy very well - as expected, the vents smooth it out more when compared to the non-vents.  I have not yet tried 3pt lower spreaders, will give it a go next time I am out with it.

Thanks Tom, obviously I'm mostly interested in what you think about the vented with 3PTs at the bottom of it's wind range.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 07:38 PM »

I think Rx has the SUL/Standard combination of Fearless if I recall correctly (no Light) and he seems happy.

I do, but I also use my Sea Devil UL to fill the gap between the Fearless SUL & STD

I am not sure which to get next, The Light or another STD.

I also would like to hear more about this Vented bussines.
Rx
steve.hobart

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 09:51 PM »

I have ordered my Vented (to match my SUL) , so I will be happy to report my thoughts when it arrives.

At this stage I am keeping my SD Light to fill any gap between the Vented and SUL....

Tom, Lam tells me that you have a lot of experience with the wind brakes on the Fearless...Im curious as to what wind speed you start attaching them and how they affect the handling of the kite.....(Lam is sending me some of these with the Vented ).

cheers

steve
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum