GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 02:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on Fearless Vented  (Read 6096 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 10:19 PM »

They slow it down - probably around 20% or so.  It's doesn't pull much as it is, so the speed reduction is the main thing.

I've actually flown them on the Light and the Vent.  The Vent does very well without them, so its not needed there until the wind is truly crazy.   

The breaks allow me to fly the Light around 20 or so with no issues.  I got mine with 5pt lower spreaders which I really like and the kite sheds wind well as it is, so it can take some high wind (frame is under no visible stress, etc) - the only issue being speed.  The breaks slow it down so I can still easily trick.  I have even tried them in lower winds (say 15 or so) just to play around with different speeds, but you don't really need it then.

I'd say they are definitely worth having for the Light, Std, and Vent.  Easy design - they just loop over the standoffs.  I don't do much precision, but would imagine it helps there in order to slow the kite a bit more so you have more time.   

With or without the brakes, the Fearless is easy to stall and control in high wind.  I've watched Lam fly (and seriously trick) his standard with no brakes in wind where other well-known vented kites were just plain out of control. 

6 kite tom
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 10:26 PM »

hi tom please post a little on the brakes if you would please, both types if you use them. i have the Q.P type and also the ones lam sent that fit between the standoffs thanx KO

have fun kurt
tpatter

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 11:36 PM »

hi tom please post a little on the brakes if you would please, both types if you use them. i have the Q.P type and also the ones lam sent that fit between the standoffs thanx KO

Not sure what the Q.P type are - you mean the Quantum Pro?  My QP didn't have breaks - just variable vents.  The only ones I've seen for the Fearless are the between the standoff style.  I think the SeaDevil used the same  type.

I generally do not use them, I just move up to the next kite.  But, its nice to know that you can take some speed out of the kite if you feel the need to. 

6 kite tom
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 01:46 PM »

I think you might start here http://www.cuttingedgekites.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40  Smiley

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
steve.hobart

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 02:07 AM »

So, My vented has arrived. Only had half an hour on it in awful bumpy winds that I wouldn't normally bother flying in at all.....The Vented handled them very well - in fact was still very easy to trick (JL's, backspin cascades, comete's, roll ups etc).
The vented certainly smoothr=ed out the bumps and was very well behaved on its back.

Now waiting for lower smooth winds to try it out - should be magnificent as it handled the bumpy winds so well.

thanks for the advice everyone.

cheers

steve

[attachment deleted by admin]
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 06:47 AM »

Very tasty Steve..........
  Is the mesh on the vents charcoal or green?  sorry color is not my forte Sad

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
steve.hobart

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 11:57 AM »

Hi jim, charcoal.

cheers
steve
tpatter

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 12:02 PM »

I've seen Jims vents - very sweet looking "blue" vents, they integrate perfectly with the color of his kite.  Lam did an amazing job on it.  Of course, you can only see it when you are looking closely at the kite (not  while flying it), but its a nice touch.

6 kite tom
Kantaxel

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 12:57 PM »

I've seen Jims vents - very sweet looking "blue" vents, they integrate perfectly with the color of his kite.  Lam did an amazing job on it.  Of course, you can only see it when you are looking closely at the kite (not  while flying it), but its a nice touch.

Oh I don't know.....I can see it in this picture, ......however, when I first saw this pic, I didn't think it was our vent.......
But then......reality set in and I KNEW Kiss

I don't think I've ever seen an ugly Fearless,..........well........................maybe once Sad

Jim

jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 11:37 PM »

Oh I don't know.....I can see it in this picture, ......however, when I first saw this pic, I didn't think it was our vent.......
But then......reality set in and I KNEW Kiss

I don't think I've ever seen an ugly Fearless,..........well........................maybe once Sad

Jim

Jim,

Whose vent do you think that is? The last time I checked it was in my bag.

Steve,

I really like the colors on your vent. Best color combo I've seen to date.

Jay
Kantaxel

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2010, 08:01 AM »

Jim,

Whose vent do you think that is? The last time I checked it was in my bag.

Steve,

I really like the colors on your vent. Best color combo I've seen to date.

Jay

Jay,
Either yours got up and flew to my bag or there are two, then.

Got ours in early Oct...........yours?

Maybe Lam now has a cloning machine and just makes one and the rest are test tube babies? Embarrassed

Oh no!  The horrors......................Modern science Cool

Jim

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change