GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 04:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas $$ ????  (Read 1725 times)
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 03, 2010, 10:07 AM »

Most of the Relatives all pitched in and gave my some Cash for Christmas and My B-day towards new Kite. 300.00 Total.
Trying to figure out what to get? Been looking at Blue Moon, Focus, The P.D. SUL by Skyburner, and maybe a Benson if I add a little to it.
Any and All help would be Appreciated.
Thanks, John

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
Francois
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 10:19 AM »

You need a Nirvana Wink

The new Frank!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 11:41 AM »

It's more about what you don't have.

If the picture shows all your kites, you might want to add an SUL of some sort. The Pro Dancer really doesn't do any modern tricks, but it will fly when all your other kites are sitting on the ground.

I'm partial to Mr. McNeill's kites, but your list will yield no bad results, just different.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:24 PM »

any of kens kites, or the PDSUL.
I love mine. Totally solid kite when the winds barely kickin

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 01:15 PM »

Quote from: chilese

John hit it on the head. It starts with what you have and what else you want to do. Define your goals to narrow the field.

I, too, am partial to Blue Moons. You can't beat their capabilities or the quality of Ken's craftsmanship.

Bob
King-J

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 01:44 PM »

Quote from: chilese

John hit it on the head. It starts with what you have and what else you want to do. Define your goals to narrow the field.

I, too, am partial to Blue Moons. You can't beat their capabilities or the quality of Ken's craftsmanship.

I am leaning towards a SUL, and something that that can do most of the modern tricks.
John C. mentioned that the PD SUL doesn't really do Modern tricks, so this might eliminate it from the list
Which of the Moonies are the closest to an SUL?

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
fworley
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 01:52 PM »

Which of the Moonies are the closest to an SUL?

The Exile UL is all but a SUL. It retains good drive in very light winds.

It'll trick pretty nicely too ... not a yo-yo monster - but most everything else is there.

-Frazer
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 03:31 PM »

+1 on frazers EUL comment.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 03:54 PM »

The PDSUL is very old skool. Super easy to keep in the air and fly around in low/no wind, but an axle is the top of it's trick repertoire. You can do 540s with it, and I've gotten it into a fade, but it wasn't easy to get out. Don't even dram about it on it's back. It's a really nice old style non-trick ballet kite, if that's what you want.

A somewhat more modern SUL that you could round up for that kind of $ would be the Prism Vapor. Much happier with a variety of tricks. Still, not a modern trick kite by any stretch.

Allen, AKA kitehead
DaveH
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 05:44 PM »

If light wind is high on the list, I think the Exile UL would be good.  I flew Mtnflyer's for awhile and it was a joy to trick.  Not a yo yo monster, for sure, but it would roll up, and was easy to do all the JL derived combos.   Its tricking speed is so slow compared to my Exile STD.  Truly a delight to fly.  But if you don't already have an Exile std, my opinion is its a kite you deserve to own.  Wonderful feel.  Different enough from what else is out there to warrant a spot in the "A" bag.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:52 PM by DaveH » Logged
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 06:15 PM »

Two Talons, two Widowmakers...

John, are either of those kites a UL?

If so, you might find it disappointing getting another UL.  Most high end ULs fly down around the same bottom end as each other. You might not find a huge difference over (..under?) the Talon UL, which is a very good light wind trickster (will roll up!).

If you want a kite that flies when virtually nothing else does, the ProDancer SUL certainly fits into that category. I have one for those "In case of emergency, break glass" whisper wind days, but as others have said it doesn't trick.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
fworley
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 06:38 PM »

If so, you might find it disappointing getting another UL.  Most high end ULs fly down around the same bottom end as each other. You might not find a huge difference over (..under?) the Talon UL, which is a very good light wind trickster (will roll up!).

The Talon UL is indeed a very fine UL trickster.

I have one in my bag too.

However, the Exile UL will fly when the Talon UL will not.

-Frazer
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 01:13 AM »

With a Talons and Widow makers in the bag, a Benson or Blue Moon Kite isn't going to add much variety. The Talon is going to be similar to Deep space, and the Widow Maker is similar in feel to a Mantis.

If you are enjoying free style kites, you might be interested in the Hydra from Focus Kites. When I flew one a few years ago, it had nice drive in low winds. Did very flat axels and stalled easily.

Depending upon your wind conditions, how about a vented Talon?  My bag is put together to fly anywhere from 1mph up to 20mph. When I am able to take a trip to the coast, I want to be able to fly, no matter the wind conditions. I don't often need a vent or SUL, but when I do, it is nice to have them in the bag.

If you are really after an SUL, my favorite is the Mantis UL. It flies in next to nothing, but has the mass to trick. I'd really be surprised though, if the Mantis UL, flew much lower then your Widow maker UL. I'd think they'd be pretty close in range.

Jay
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 04:18 AM »

I don't know about the Exile UL but my Exile std goes lower than most of my other standards. The WM goes pretty low too but the Exile probably goes a bit lower. It tricks wonderfully so I imagine the Exile UL love even lower wind and still trick nicely. Ken makes wonderful kites and I'm adding my vote for a Blue Moon.

(The only downside is that the standard seems to get a bit overpowered when the wind is up and it's hard to through slack into it. But you probably won't care about that with an UL.)

Bob D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document