GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 09:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frequency Of Repair  (Read 2283 times)
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« on: March 18, 2009, 12:33 PM »

Here's one from about five years ago.

Could be filed in the "I feel your pain" category.  Cheesy

Topic:  Frequency Of Repair

Topic author: MojaveJam
Subject: Frequency of repairs: stunt & trick kites
Posted on: 03/05/2004 08:47:18 AM
[/i]

Okay, I'm new to this sport. But recently I bought a stunt and a trick kite. Now both are out-of-service and in need of repairs. My
trick kite --- the first time out yesterday -- broke the leading edge graphite connecters after about 20 minutes flying time. The conecters seperated about 8 inches down in four pieces. And the stunt kite had to be sent back for repairs. Now I have to wait for new graplhite connecters to be sent, and incurr UPS charges, etc. Even then it's going to be a challenge to try and fix it myself.

Are constant repairs of these kites the norm?

mitchellnj
Replied on: 03/05/2004 08:57:44 AM

First off welcome to the forum.

Yes they are prone to breakage. They're not that difficult to repair depending on the break.

Not sure on how long you've been flying or what kite you have. My first kite has around 10 snapped rods while learning.

Chris

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/mitchellnj

kitehead
Replied on: 03/05/2004 09:21:54 AM

Hi MJ and Welcome!

Without specifics on your kites, I can say in general some sport kites are much more durable than others. It's not nescesarily cheap kites being weak and expensive kites being strong. Many inexpensive kites intended for new flyers are built very tough. Many expensive kites have the tradeoff of much more fragile frames to achieve a lighter and/or more responsive kite. Generally, the folks flying the fancier kites have more control and break fewer sticks, but many times aggressive flying styles and dedicated experimentation leads to a lot of breakage. 

So, sport kites break and the frame components are generally very easy and inexpensive to replace. High end kites often have more expensive framing materiels, but it's still not a major expense in most cases. It's common for flyers to carry replacements, or at least have them at home.

Allen

Flight deprivation experiment #626

Alberto
Replied on: 03/05/2004 09:33:17 AM

Welcome to the Forum MojaveJam !!!

Those kite you own have names or you just bought them at Kmart ? Is important to now becausein this days you can have a real unexpensive but wonderful kite which is virtuallyundestrucblie called the Addicttion for 50 bucks. 

I have learnt with an alpha+ and I have broke every single rod of it at least two times ( lower spreder more than four times )

When i get a new kite I allways invest in aditional rods....

Alberto

vash_241987
Replied on: 03/05/2004 10:30:09 AM

Breakable occurs alot when first learning, I've broken the spine on my Adrenalin once, and (if you have'nt read a previous post of mine) broke the hotrod which rip thru my E2's sail. It's all part of the sport, just like skateborading, something is bound to break when learning. Luckly you have manufactures who built their beginner kites that can take the abuse a first time does. I always bring extra spines for my adrenalin in case my friends break it when flying. It would be good if you posted what kites you have...

Oh, and welcome to the sport And forum.

shanerowse
Replied on: 03/05/2004 10:47:26 AM

I've been flying a lot in the last year and have broken:

1 Elixir lower leading edge spar
2 Gemini lower leading edge spars
1 bank account buying 6 kites in the last year (and compared to a lot of the people here I'm a serious lightweight).

Shane

Aw h*#! no Mudhead - right after I graduate I'm gonna' cut the soles off my shoes, sit in a tree, and learn to play the flute!

tram2000
Replied on: 03/05/2004 11:06:18 AM

I just finished cutting a new lower spreader for my Nirvana. About a month ago I had to cut one for my UL Nirvana (trying to learn the Mult-lazy superstart can be expensive). Seems like I'll go through a rash of breakage and then go several months without breaking anything.

See ya,
Bill Rogers

Poulsbo, WA
member team 6th Sense
member pairs Fly By Nite

icenum
Replied on: 03/05/2004 1:01:08 PM

Try bezeling edges of rods....Bill I think I've broke two (rods) is about it in near two years. But I guess that's 2 too many LoL.. Of course I'm sure Bill is doing a lot more advanced moves than I am now..Like to see the Super Start ML..I'm just up to the SS no ML there yet..

RonG
Replied on: 03/05/2004 1:11:41 PM

I still see breaking the occasional rod as a sign that you're willing to take some chances - let's call it the cost of doing business . Can't say I ever learned anything in kiting by being excessively cautious.

To preempt the predictable retorts, I do of course see a distinction between being reckless and foolish, and pushing the envelope of your skills.

BTW I have found that multilazy superstarts are even easier than multilazies started from the air. Still haven't quite figured out why though...

Juha
Replied on: 03/05/2004 1:38:00 PM

Originally posted by RonG

BTW I have found that multilazy superstarts are even easier than multilazies started from the air.

... but not as easy as multilazies started from an Insane rotation. IMO.

Juha

Jason Paul
Replied on: 03/05/2004 2:00:47 PM

It depends on the kite and how careful you are. I sort of baby my kites, but I'm agressive if I need to be. I'm just the sort of person who always wants my stuff to be in good shape.

I probably wouldn't get a second glance in competition, but I'd consider myself a fairly decent flyer. So, you can learn new things without necessarily breaking sticks.

I've been flying almost two years and I've broken two spars (and one of those wasn't mine). One was a freak gust, and the other was just a fragile frame. My Rev 2 framed in P100s simply fell out of the sky and the center spar broke when it hit the ground.

Jason

jls
Replied on: 03/05/2004 2:20:45 PM

In the last year I've broken

Psycho: LLE, lower spreader

Desire UL: lower spreader, spine wore through nose webbing.

Gemini: LLE

Profile: 2 LLEs

Matchbox: LLE

Dynamite: LLE, lost standoff

Minigem: standoff, wore out bridle

Adrenaline: standoff

Gem UL: lower spreader

STX 2.1: spine came through tail velcro

STX 2.3: 2 lower spreaders

Plus assorted C-clips coming loose and other little stuff I'm forgetting.

-- Adam

tiprap
Replied on: 03/05/2004 2:31:40 PM

Originally posted by vash_241987

just like skateborading, something is bound to break when learning.

yup...just like it.

broke my ankle three times, my arm twice, a herniated disc and fractured femur.

its a little easier than skating vash.

welcome MJ and i think steve can help you out no problemo

winl-r
Replied on: 03/05/2004 3:17:32 PM

Adam, you're the kite destroyer. Your such a brute! LOL

Win L-R 
Burlington, WA.Website
Sometimes I flail like a nut, sometimes I don't.

rod247
Replied on: 03/05/2004 3:56:01 PM

One of the injuries to watch out for in kiting is carbon fiber splinters. Eye protection is a good idea too when messing with spars.

As for spreaders breaking, I've had problems with 3PTs. Right from the launch into the window and "snap", split at the center T. Another time, flying across the window. Luckily, the sail was okay.

I replaced the 3PTs with 5PTs. Problem solved - but I still hold my breath during the gusts. Nothing like solid P200s. 

Rod
h4VVa||

tram2000
Replied on: 03/05/2004 4:32:18 PM

I think my problem on the MLSS is I had a spine wrap with one side of the bridle. With that and the hard wham to get it started I cut the lower spreader in half, just like butter  I am pretty sure I had the same problem on the first break too, that was a nice clean slice too.

See ya,
Bill Rogers
Poulsbo, WA
member team 6th Sense
member pairs Fly By Nite

icenum
Replied on: 03/05/2004 5:27:01 PM

"BTW I have found that multilazy superstarts are even easier than multilazies started from the air."
I can do the SS, never tried the SS..ML..Could it be the deepness of the nose of the kite as you throw it back, then momentum takes over?

Lee S
Replied on: 03/05/2004 7:52:42 PM

Hey Mojave,

Again, welcome not only to the Forum, but to the insane world of kite breakage. Sounds to me like you've got a classic case of enthusiastic inexperience. Good news is that it clears up in most cases. It's been put down here quite eloquently, and in most popular kite DVDs that you should spend some more time mastering the basics. Stalls. Snap stalls. Side slides. Boring stuff, so it seems, but through that you'll learn not to force things so much. Initate a trick when a kite is well set up for it and magic things happen. Try the same trick with the kite fully powered in the wrong part of the window, and "ker-snap" 

Certain kites are more prone to breakage than others, either by design, or by the tricks they seem to encourage. I went through so many lower spreaders on my Box of Tricks that I re-did them in full length one piece 6mm spars, back when they were common. My Psycho was a spar history lesson. Keep at it, you'll improve if you pay attention. If you're not near a kite store, consider ordering up a supply of replacements. Saves on shipping, too. Probably costs the same to send 6 spars as it does one. Repair is not hard at all if you're the least bit handy. I've cut spars with a Ginsu knife a time or two. 

Have fun,
Lee

eallen
Replied on: 03/06/2004 12:21:30 PM

In the 8 years I've been flying Revs, I've broken maybe 3 spars.
Since I've started back at dual lines (maybe 3 years), I break things all the time (8 or 10 spars total) It's depressing. I'm always getting replacements.

ikky68
Replied on: 03/06/2004 12:44:28 PM

Welcome MJ,

What kites do you have?

Give a man fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man on fire and he'll warm for the rest of his life.

{Mamba, JITB, Gemini, STX 2.3, Elixir, Desire UL, Baby Tana, Easy Light, 3 french hens, 2 turtle-doves, and a partridge in a pear tree}

Jan Anderson
Replied on: 03/06/2004 9:52:55 PM

I had a discussion about this with Mark Reed. Had asked if I wanted to pick up any spare sticks for one of my new kites and then answered his own question with..."no,that's right, you aren't one of the pilots who breaks sticks are you". True, I seldom, maybe 3 in a year and a half and all deadlaunching on rough grass, otherwise nilch. 

He was telling me that it does seem that there are those who break a lot and others who might fly the same amount and never break much at all. He said he likes the ones who break stuff, cause then he gets to sell them more. 

Then he told me the secret for not breaking...don't hit the ground. Now I know someone will come up with their kite snapping in mid air in a 4mph breeze while doing a gentle axle but me, myself and I have never seen anything break away from the ground or other hard objects.

Jan "In the end, only kindness matters" (Jewel)

winl-r
Replied on: 03/06/2004 10:03:52 PM

Flying hard and having fun can break a stick on occasion, or even worse, tear a sail. Admittedly, I broke a lot more stuff early on. This stuff is very repairable and the repairs are great experience in kite construction and modification.

Speaking of modifications, Bill, put a couple of keeper lines on your Nirvana's bridle. Just like on the Mamba or STX series. They will keep your bridle from spine wraps.

Win L-R 
Burlington, WA.Website
Sometimes I flail like a nut, sometimes I don't.

kriswong
Replied on: 03/07/2004 5:42:04 PM

I like to know leaning and doing which kind of trick will have bigger chance of breaking a kite, and usually which part of the kite too? I have learnt that ground trick uauallly have bigger chance of breaking the LLE, so I will be extremely careful in doing those ground level trick, actually I avoid doing those trick in the mean time as my skill is not good enough.

mitchellnj
Replied on: 03/07/2004 6:17:08 PM

Snap stalls, dead launches and lazy susans can snap lower spreaders.

Acid drops can blow out both lower leading edges.

Yo-yo's can be stressful on upper leading edges as well as the trailing edge material.

Superstarts are supposedly harmful if not done properly. I don't recall which part.

Lawn darts produce various results that may include every part of your kite. When in doubt throw your hands forward as you move towards the kite. I've avoided many potentially harmful darts by moving forward into a belly landing.

I've broken a few standoffs for reasons unknown to myself. I've been told I'm hard on them but I don't really know what that means. I once fractured both standoffs on my Masque at the same time. I swear I was just flying around not really doing anything crazy.

I've not found anything that is overly abusive to upper spreaders or a spine per se. It's not that you can't but I haven't had one go yet. The only thing I can think of for a spine break is a real bad dart.

Oh yeah, car doors and trunk lids can cause breakage also.

Chris

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/mitchellnj

Mauler
Replied on: 03/07/2004 6:43:19 PM

Originally posted by mitchellnj

Superstarts are supposedly harmful if not done properly. I don't recall which part.

Lower spreaders. I broke a lower spreader on my UL by pulling too hard with the kite too far tilted back.

Andrew
Buffalo, NY

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 02:34 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document