GWTW Forum
July 25, 2014, 02:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: video editing for dummies  (Read 5601 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: January 07, 2010, 10:53 PM »

Hi All, i am looking for really basic video editing software  free would be good any help?? thanx ko

have fun kurt
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 02:20 AM »

If you are on a PC running XP, Microsoft Movie Maker is not a bad starter product

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Adicakes
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 02:22 AM »

You'll really be rockin' if you can get access to a Mac running OSX with iMovie '06 or '09.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 07:11 AM »

kitegirl (Rhonda) has done some nice stuff with Windows Movie Maker, basic editor, transitions, text, add music, a decent timeline which shows a sound level graph of the music so you can attempt to time things to the music. As far as cutting up the video itself I don't know, we never did that since we were using small clips already from the camera's.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:25 AM »

You'll really be rockin' if you can get access to a Mac running OSX with iMovie '06 or '09.

+1.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
ko

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 09:04 AM »

thanx guys i am running windows and using there media player anyway sooo i will give it a try thank you KO

have fun kurt
ko

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 09:45 AM »

well---- seems movie maker is available for service pack 2.1 i use 3  tried windows live that was supposed to work it didnt-- updates, no help  any ideas i know you guys love a challenge! i will keep looking but even cnet sends me too 2.1 the reason i want this is i was flying my tattoo yesterday and decided to try my old camera on vid. it worked GREAT at this point i just want to cut bits out to make myself look a little better and to condense  thanx again KO i just looked at corel 30 bucks but  it takes up 30 gb of disk space
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 10:02 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 12:07 PM »

I used to use Movie Maker - it was ok, but very annoying.  It is terrible for splicing together many seperate videos.  Its ok for pulling something off you camera and doing the basics, but I found it very slow, cumbersome, and time consuming to do anything even mildly involved (also very buggy - hangs, etc).

I moved to using my Mac with iMovie and it is much better, but still has some some of issues.  It's easy to do easy stuff, but not to do more involved editing. 

I haven't yet decided if I am going to stay with iMovie or move to something else - it gets the job done fairly quickly and the results are good.

I know that Benjai uses some more advanced tools, but they are not free.

6 kite tom
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 12:53 PM »

You should have it then ko it isn't always in your programs though, another thing M$ sort of glossed over, do a search for moviemk.exe, you should find it at C:\Program Files\Movie Maker\moviemk.exe.

I did a quick convert of one of our .Mov files to an .Mpg and brought it into MovieMaker and didn't see any way to edit the clip itself, just add clips into one longer clip.

I depend on nonags for freeware, here's a couple, I haven't used either of them so I can't vouch for them

rated rated 6 out of 6 ducks - Avidemux

5 out of 6 ducks - ZS4 Video Editor

and if you need to convert from one format to another you'll need a converter, I have used SUPER with good results, lot's of options though to confuse you and I have picked the wrong ones and dropped the audio.

Let us all know if you find something that works well

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:54 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 04:41 PM »

well---- seems movie maker is available for service pack 2.1 i use 3  tried windows live that was supposed to work it didnt-- updates, no help  any ideas i know you guys love a challenge!

You might already have it on your hard drive somewhere, just not listed in your Start menu.  Do a search for the file moviemk.exe
It may be in \Program Files\Movie Maker

I did a quick convert of one of our .Mov files to an .Mpg and brought it into MovieMaker and didn't see any way to edit the clip itself, just add clips into one longer clip.

Click on the Tasks button.  In the section Movie Making Tips, it tells you How to edit clips
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 04:45 PM by KaoS » Logged

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
RobB

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 05:12 PM »

Hey K...
I use Cyberlink Power producer, it's less than $100, and there are way more features than I've even explored. I'm pretty sure Ben uses Adobe Premier (?). I should've spent the $$$ for that, they usually have the best media tools, but they come at a price.
The basic Power Producer came with my video camera, so it was easy to learn the fully featured one. It's also downloadable if you're into instant satisfaction...
~Rob.

ko

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 05:37 PM »

thanx guys the biggest problem with the pay for is that they are huge i dont need a 10th of what they do yet ,and more than likly never will  i just want to play around a little I will say this watching yourslf fly is interesting

have fun kurt
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 11:32 PM »

*Kevin* thanks, didn't find that this morning while I was sitting at the airport. Interesting too that when I opened it tonight it recognized the .Mov files as an acceptable video format when this morning it wouldn't & I had to convert them to .Mpg's.

I haven't gotten into video editing yet, believe me you all don't want to watch a clip of me flying  Cheesy  unless Steve makes a "Fun & Jokes" section.

*KO* there you go 3 decent free programs, one you should have already. Let us know what you find out & use.

RobB

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 04:10 AM »

Hey K...
One thing I'm reading here is that you seem to be concerned about your HD space... The fully featured Cyberlink program takes up less than a gig on my HD. It's not the size of the program.... it's the size of the files that you create that should be of concern if you're short on HD space. Nothing will eat up a HD faster than a bunch of video files.
I am looking forward to seeing your Tattoo in action, I hope you find something that works soon.
~Rob.

ko

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 10:09 AM »

ALLRIGHT  finally found movie maker. i had it but it wasnt where i thought all of my programs were there is an online conversion deal that will convert most of my needs i will let you know about that othewise i will try mikes  ATB KO

have fun kurt
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document