GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 12:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: video editing for dummies  (Read 5714 times)
RoyReed
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 03:25 AM »

Maybe a bit late for this thread, but you could check out AVS4You. Their licensing deal is that for a one-off fee you can use any of the software in their suite of programmes which includes video editing, video conversion, DVD authoring and a whole lot more. They currently have a 70% off offer of $59 (reduced from $199) until the end of January.

Roy
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 06:46 AM »

Those were nice programs as I recall, I had checked into all that a year ago when somebody pointed it out, maybe it was Roy then too.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 09:52 AM »

hi roy and funny how things work out.i actually already had avs4u i downloaded it when i first got into converting, for a device i owned at the time. anyway it is free to me, simple and seems to work well for converting from quicktime that my camera uses to any other format i want then i can edit with it and if that is not enough i can play around with pic editing also thanx again everyone KO

have fun kurt
benjai

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 12:16 PM »

I know that Benjai uses some more advanced tools, but they are not free.
Coming in a bit late on this topic I know, but FWIW, I started with windows movie maker, but upgraded to Adobe Premiere Elements 7. It has a few quirks, but basically it's as powerful as you'll ever need, and not super-expensive (about $100)... I do all my stuff on that...
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 01:55 PM »

Free, but generally not on most people's radar.
Microsoft Windows Media Encoder

ATB,
Sam
johnfarl

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2010, 04:38 PM »

Start with Windows Movie Maker.  You can do a lot with that.

Then if you want to go further start downloading demo versions.  There is a lot of software that is in the less than $100 range that is fantastic.  I did this in Dec. and learned a lot.  Some of the packages were not friendly some screwed up my computer and some worked fine.

I settled on Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum package.  That gave me a good movie package, audio package and a DVD burning package.

Key thing is to try out those free demos after you have a little experience on Move Maker which is a good package.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 04:56 PM »

good advice i will give windows another try the reason i stopped was it doesnt work with MOV files that is not a problem anymore-- ben i will NEVER get to your level your vids are way nice
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:00 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2010, 05:52 PM »

As others have said, it's hard to beat free and WMM is free. There are enough features to let you learn the basics of video editing like splitting clips, adding titles and transitions, capturing stills from video, adding music, basic special effects, video speed, etc.

Once you get that down, providing you "enjoy" spending countless hours sitting at your pc, you can upgrade to a better, full featured video editor. All those years ago when I started I chose Pinnacle and have upgraded every other time to the latest version. Not the best editor but it's what I know and I've got no time to fiddle with a different program now.

I tried that AVS4U for converting and did not like the results. I've used DivX for years and it does for me what I need it to which is to convert very large video files (1.5 gigs and up) to more manageable file sizes for internet upload.

King-J

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2010, 07:44 PM »

I also started off with windows movie maker, then got into Roxio and Now I'm using Creator 2010 not sure if its the best, but it does just about everything you would ever need to do with video, Pics, Music, and converts everything to anything.
The only thing bad is if you do complete Manuel editing you better have some time to spend on it, can eat up a bunch of time on the computer.
This is the program I used on my Aerobe Video, there's actually 4 separate videos of that day and that's were I got the fly-a-way transition in this video, I could have spent a little more time with it and did a little better, (Technology and the Learning Process)

Kite, Aerobe SLK MV 2

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
benjai

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2010, 10:55 AM »

ben i will NEVER get to your level your vids are way nice

Sure you will - I don't do anything particularly difficult, I just play with a bunch of settings as I go 'till it looks nice to me. Thanks for the compliment. One easy thing that makes a world of difference is to fit the music to the video. What I do is start with a target duration in mind. Then I edit down to that duration, and really I have to be quite brutal cutting out stuff that is "OK" but not really worth putting in (even then they still end up at least twice as long as they need to be). Then I go through my entire music library picking out tracks of about the right length, or sometimes I'll have a specific track in mind. If the mood and length of the track fit, you are off to a flying start. Don't believe the music makes a big difference? - take your favourite light wind video (Steve's TrickTail UL one is a good example to use) and then watch it muted while playing some hard dance or rave track. Your brain will struggle with the juxtaposition.

As others have said, it's hard to beat free and WMM is free. There are enough features to let you learn the basics of video editing like splitting clips, adding titles and transitions, capturing stills from video, adding music, basic special effects, video speed, etc.

Once you get that down, providing you "enjoy" spending countless hours sitting at your pc, you can upgrade to a better, full featured video editor.

Top advice there. You should stick with something free and simple until you find yourself unable to make it do what you want. I pretty quicky realised I wanted to do some more advanced stuff (multi-layering, keyframes, audio editing etc) and WMM wouldn't let me do it. So I trawled the web and read up on a bunch of editors which I downloaded the demo versions of. I clicked pretty much instantly with PE7 and so stuck with it. I got it with Photoshop elements 7 in a bundle for about $100. You should be aware though, that the more features an editor has, the more options it gives you and the more time it can take to edit things the way you want them. Of course, you can stick with the basic funcitons of the editor to save time, but then what's the point forking out the extra $ for the features you don't use.

For interest (perhaps), here's roughly how the time goes for me:
Fly and film 'till the batteries go flat giving 90 minutes of footage
Download the footage from the camera and get it into the editor  - 30 minutes
Watch it all  - 75 minutes (there's usually at least 15 minutes of blank sky to skip through)
Balance the clips for sound and picture (brightness etc) - 10 minutes
Chop up the clips into the good bits and cut out the crap - 180 minutes - gives about 15 minutes of footage
Preview this rough cut and cut another half out - 60 minutes - giving about 7 minutes of footage
Pick out opening and closing scenes - 15 minutes
Design opening title sequence and add closing sequence - 15 minutes
Select soundtrack, edit, balance and sequence with the video (requires more video editing) - 120 minutes
Add transitions - 10 minutes (I generally only use crossfade and dip-to-black)
Add effects - 60 minutes (optional)
Preview final cut - 5 minutes
Make final tweaks - 15 minutes
Render & export - 60 minutes (for standard def - double this for HD)
Check export file - 5 minutes

So for a 5 minute video from an hour and a half of footage, I need to set aside about 11 hours editing time   Shocked

Bottom line is this - if you want to make nice videos, you need to spend some time on it, and you need to enjoy doing it...
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 10:57 AM by benjai » Logged
johnfarl

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2010, 10:27 AM »

Exactly.  And that is fun Benjai.

Making videos has doubled the pleasure of flying.

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document