GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 10:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your thoughts on these kites please?  (Read 3016 times)
GusG
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 08, 2010, 12:16 PM »

Iím shopping for a new light wind kite.  (I already own a SF 2.5 UL)  Your input would be much appreciated. 

I want a kite that actually tricks in light (1-4 mph) wind, not one just stays up in the air. 
At the moment I have three kites in mind:  HQ-Shadow, Prism-Zephyr, and SkyBurner-ProDancer.  Any price difference between these three kites is not a concern.

1.   Is the new HQĖShadow the same as the old kite or is this a whole new revamped design.  (Iím reluctant to buy another HQ kite because my experience with HQ products thus far is quite negative.  The quality of workmanship in the Maestro kite I own is the worst Iíve ever seen.  Plus Iím having trouble finding a reliable source for HQ parts and it seems every time I fly the Maestro I need a new part for it.)

2.   I heard that the trailing edge on the Prism-Zephyr  wears out quickly.   Have they redesigned the trailing edge on these kites for better wear?  (I like the graphics on this kite the best and I like Prism quality plus theyíre the easiest, quickest, and most reliable for spare parts of the kites I now own.)

3.   The SkyBurner-ProDancer is the kite Iím least familiar with.  From the few pictures Iíve seen it seems an unattractive kite and although thatís a minor consideration for the price its still is a consideration.  How does it trick in low winds?
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 12:26 PM »

For HQ parts - you should be able to get anything you need right from Steve (this forum's owner).  If it isn't on his website already, give him a call and I am sure he either has it in stock or can get it for you very easily.  HQ is one of the better companies out there that actually has a good supply of replacement parts in stock.  They also supply many other manufacturers as well so supply on parts is usually pretty easy with HQ products.

Ok - for the kites you have listed:

The Zephyr - Probably not what you are looking for.  The Zephyr is NOT a UL kite.  It is a STANDARD kite that works incredibly well in the lighter wind ranges for the standard kites.  The Zephyr will not fly that well in the 1-4 mph wind ranges but is an absolute joy to fly in 5 to 8mph.

The Shadow - Excellent kite for the wind ranges you are requesting.  I know of quite a few that have the Shadow's including myself and I don't recall anyone having any type of quality issues with the build of the kite and IMO, the kite is built very well and flies excellent.  The Shadow is on of the main kites that comes out when the winds drop down to the ranges you are talking about (1 - 6 mph).  It will fly fairly nicely in 1 mph but tricks rather well in 2 mph +.  The Shadow is also one of the more trickable kites in the SUL wind ranges you are requesting and I highly recommend it.

Not to sure about the Pro-Dancer as I have yet to fly one personally but Skyburner is one of the best kite builders out there so I am sure you will be very happy with it.  Others who have more experience with the Pro-Dancer will be of more help on this one as far as tricks it can do and actual wind ranges it can fly in.

Hope that helps.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 12:28 PM »

from what i have heard look at the Shadow for more newer skool tricks....
and look at the Prodancer for old skool ul flying flat spins axels and the like....

zephyr............umm..........

issues with HQ kites? really??? did you ask Steve if he had the parts on hand? if he does they might not be on the webpage....but he should also be able to get them pretty handily too...i always felt good about HQ's choices of parts for their kites.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:29 PM »

oh yes and you could also put a UL Blue Moon in the mix for good taste as well.........
and a Focus Designs too........
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 12:35 PM by thief » Logged

kiten00b
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 12:33 PM »

The Sky Burner Pro Dancer SUL is a go-to kite for 0-light breezes kite, but its trick repertoire is very limited. The few tricks it does are done beautifully, though.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 12:48 PM »

The Pro Dancer SUL is a 0-3mph old-skool ballet kite. Really, old skool. It's not a trick kite. The design dates back to the early '90s. Skyburner keeps making 'em every now & then for the few people who want a big kite that's easy to keep in the air in little or no wind. It can do some basic tricks, but it's not what most people want.

I love it, but I'm not normal.   Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
streamhawk

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 12:56 PM »

of the kites you listed, I'm not familiar with the Sky Burner, the Zeph is more of a light standard, but the Shadow would fit the description of what you are wanting the best, if you can deal with the oversteer it has, nice very light wind kite, a more trickable Prism Ozone if you will. Personally, I'd go with a Blue Moon Exile UL, I think it'd fit your wants and needs perfectly, or....for quite a bit more money, a Fearless light or UL.

Bill
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 01:08 PM »

I love it, but I'm not normal.   Smiley
has nothing to do with being normal.......just oooold Skoooool....

my fave super super ul kite is my Kites Unlimited Isis......HUGE kite.....2 pieces of ventex.....and i will not fly it in above 3mph..........pulls like a TANK in that.....but a flat spin in 1mph  is beautiful!

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 01:11 PM »

k2 sul uncut

maybe you want a K2? lots of options out there!!!!!!

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 01:27 PM »

If you want tricks you will not like the Pro Dancer SUL, but it is probably the only kite in your list that will FLY in 1 mph.

The Zephyr won't and it isn't a standard kite either since it better not be in the air above 10-12 mph, probably lower. The short time I flew one it was nice in its range though, but your not planting your feet in 2 mph.

We do this twice a month on average or more, there is no consensus, there is no kite that will do all the tricks under 3 mph without a lot of foot work on your part. A good flier can take a UL/SUL Exile, Widowmaker, Deep Space, Talon etc. under 2 mph with some foot work and finesse.

Us mortals have to wait until we feel the wind in our hair.

Learn to take your standards as low as you can, I can fly a standard Nitro framed Widowmaker or Exile with the top spreader and weights off to under 3 mph in a smooth breeze, you need that technique to appreciate a trickable UL/SUL, you will need to move backwards and learn when you can move forward so you don't end up with your back against the ropes, then you'll get the most out of those light kites. If you've got that down then any of those choices except the PDSUL and any of the other options we will hear should work fine for you, it just depends on which kite fits your flying style.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 01:42 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 02:20 PM »

out of the 2, I'd get the PDSUL and the Shadow. The PDSUL will fly in barely anything, and is fun in indoors too. The shadows also awesome, I'd get that one as well. Haha, save up and get the best of both worlds!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 03:21 PM »

I've had many different SULs that have come and gone, but the Shadow is still in the bag - it is fun to fly in low wind and it also tricks.  For ~$200 and 1-4 mph, I don't think you'll find anything better. 

I have an old Shadow and also one from the last run.  The newer ones are well made, imo - more reinforcement on the trailing edge, nice sewing, little things like that. 

6 kite tom
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 03:48 PM »

i always felt good about HQ's choices of parts for their kites.....

If you damage the stand-off sail attachment on the HQ Shadow repair is waaaaaaay more painful than it needs to be.  Jaco fittings with a mylar or dacron reinforcement would have been much better.  Current setup requires pulling out the seam ripper and resewing at the end of the replacement process.

ATB,
Sam
glider

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 04:24 PM »

PDSUL is a great kite.  It'll be the only thing in the air on a 1 mph day.  That, or maybe a Fearless SUL.  If you call flat axles a trick then you might be happy with PD.

I tried my Shadow once.  The oversteer was too much for my liking.

I wouldn't consider the Zephyr even close to an SUL.  I think it takes similar wind to the SF 2.5 UL.

Agree, Exile UL sounds perfect for what you're looking for.

Dave
Portland, OR

tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 05:10 PM »

I tried my Shadow once.  The oversteer was too much for my liking.

A word of warning - the Shadow is really a love it or hate it sort of kite.  Literally, anyone that has tried mine for any length of time has come to that conclusion - with most choosing "love it".

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document