GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 04:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your thoughts on these kites please?  (Read 3186 times)
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 09:18 PM »

Gus what type tricks are you talking about? The kites you listed are very different with different wind ranges too.

Out of the three you listed the Shadow is the only UL that would do more modern tricks in the stated wind range.

I haven't flown a PD but from what I understand, it's an old school SUL.. I've flown old school SULs and they are generally easier to power up and fly than modern SULs but the trick bag is smaller / different. Nothing wrong with that if it's what you want. Many old school tricks in light wind are a blast. If I'm going old school, it's SUL / UL old school. Wink

The Zephyr will trick fine but not in the 1-4 mph range. Seems more like a STD.

Like others have mentioned, there are many other choices out there. Think about what tricks you're trying to do and your style (and budget) then research some of the UL / SUL kites available.

Good Luck

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
fworley
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 10:08 PM »

The Zephyr will trick fine but not in the 1-4 mph range. Seems more like a STD.

Perhaps a light.

Its tricky enough ... but its no UL thats for sure (and I was flying Kevin's at Wrightsville in the "lab grade winds").

When the wind picks up it can pull and get quick ... a handful.

-Frazer
DonCrash

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2010, 05:07 PM »

To also answer one of your original questions, to my knowledge, people who have bought a later Zephyr, the trailing edge was not wearing as fast as the earlier batches.

Like everyone has said, its not a UL, but rather I personally consider it a Light Standard. However, Mark Reed has posted in the Prism Forums that removing the upper spreader and moving the bridle setting up against the light wind knot, or perhaps past it, can be done to help the kite in much lighter winds.

I did happen to find this vid a while back, you can see the upper spreader missing, doing a fade and a turtle in a supposed 0mph with the Zephyr, with footwork of course.

StuntKite - No Wind

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
DaveH
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 06:30 AM »

Off your list, but I would suggest the Exile UL. Tricks will be slow, however.  If I want to do current tricks in light wind I fly my DS standard or Exile std. With some footwark and light wind technique they'll both fly in pretty light winds.  The extra mass really helps the trickin'.  So my opinion is if you want to do the whole range of tricks you might do well to get a kite for its tricking ability which flies in light winds and spend time on technique. 
I can only speak from personal experience, but for my limited skillset trickablility and super light wind performance are two different things.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:51 AM by DaveH » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document