GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 08:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aerobe tension and tow point measurements  (Read 2247 times)
iwannafly
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 11, 2010, 07:09 AM »

I have a small problem with my daughters FW Aerobe. When I tried to put it together for the first time, the tension on the spine came undone. Angry I am not sure I set it right. I flies pretty good, but not as flat as it looks in the video posted by WinterDaze. Nice video by thy way.
AEROBE 1._0001.wmv
Can anyone give me the lengths for each part of the bridle and the tip-to-tail measurement of the spine when the kite is assembled. It may be helpful if there was a maximum measurement to show the distance of the spine to an imaginary line drawn from the nose to the tail to show the right amount of flex there should be in the spine.
Any help would be great.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 07:29 AM »

on mine there was actually a good curve in that spine.....
the best thing to do is to play around with the tension..see what works best for you......this is also my way of covering up the fact hat i lost the original tension as well.....they should put a mark on the tension line to give you a place to start from.....

your bridle did not have some knots in it? i remember seeing something about there being a couple of different bridle setups.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 07:44 AM »

Yeah no marks, others have stated that you can do a bit of tuning with the spine tension, flatter gives a better glide, more curve and it'll rock back & forth like a leaf falling requiring you to keep some tension on the line to achieve a glide. The high curve was the stock setting since I fought the rocking thing without much success the first flights.

Definitely play around with it to find something to your liking. The first batch had differences in the bridling too when people started comparing them, I don't recall ever seeing a consensus on the proper bridle, I have not played with mine at all since it seems to work as-is, but I did allow the spine to be a little flatter after I undid it per Frazer's suggestion that it assembled a bit easier if you undid it.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:46 AM »

There are some measurements here for you iwanna...
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=1295.msg15711;topicseen#msg15711
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 09:50 AM »

Bridle spec i have noted is
16"top, 5"bottom, 3"towpoint

that doesnt sound right, maybe i got the top and bottom transposed. ??
iwannafly

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 10:03 AM »

others have stated that you can do a bit of tuning with the spine tension, flatter gives a better glide, more curve and it'll rock back & forth like a leaf falling requiring you to keep some tension on the line to achieve a glide.
I found that the kite likes to weave back and forth until you get some string out. This is of course without the tail in SUL/UL winds. If I take a bit of curve out of the spine it should glide better correct? Will it also help the zig-zagging when flown in light winds?

WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 03:30 PM »

Hey Jim, my pleasure! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Smiley

Hey IWF,

I too, have had the tensioner come undone, but I've just measured from the end of the sail to the tip of the spine at 3.5cm, it's a 'my setting' but it's what I was using in the video I shot.

With regards to the bridle, Bell's early examples of the Aerobe came with multiple knots on the upper leg, in discussion with Bell it was explained that the need for multiple settings was not necessary as the kite was doing well flying off the 'default mark'. I have an early version so I have the 4 'settings'. I've had a go on the others but I think Bell was pretty much on the money with the default mark...

But... if you want to play....

Mark 1: 130mm
Mark 2: 210mm
Mark 3: 240mm
Mark 4: 270mm

WinterDaze AoF
iwannafly

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 06:01 PM »

Thanks WinterDaze. I will check the Spine tension and the tow point and give it anoter try.
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 10:56 PM »

If you come out to one of the Toronto Kite Fliers events in the Spring or Summer, you'll see a bunch of other Aerobes, SOME of which haven't lost their original settings!

Norm in Toronto
iwannafly

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 07:46 AM »

Thanks Norm. I might just take you up on that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography