GWTW Forum
August 29, 2014, 11:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Porsche stunt kite! bargain???  (Read 6107 times)
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2010, 12:10 PM »

if i rememeber correctly, and because i've seen it on promos for local wb station recently. The "porsche" is really a bunch of boxes in the shape of a car that has a car cover on it. Joey says "just put her away, she's sleepin" and then the next shot is one of a guy chasing a football that lands in the "porsche". 
so possibly because it says porsche on the kite it gives it mythical powers? Cheesy

Sine Metu!
Moe
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 12:59 PM »

He's obviously not a kite flyer and is completely out of touch with the kite world. He might know cars but not kites.

Which is actually the key point, here.  It's not really an auction for kite fliers.  It's an auction for Porsche-bilia (Porsche-phenalia?) collectors.  The kind of people who'd pay $800 for a bit of silver painted wood with a Porsche crest on it:

Or $2500 for a pic-i-nic basket with Porsche on the handle:

Which is neither good nor bad.  It just is.  It's meant to appeal to a different market.

And frankly, I don't see it as that big of a deal - anyone who'd be willing to fork over that much money for a kite, as a kite, is either serious enough into the hobby to know what the kit in question is (and more importantly, isn't... and thus, would never buy it), or has so much money that it just isn't a concern for them (in which case, who cares?).  It's not like someone was *going* to buy Blue Moon's latest, but went for this instead.  Or saw someone flying at their local park and decided to drop $1300 on a kite, to have a go at it too.  Heck, most people starting out are shocked that a kite might cost 1/10th that amount.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:44 PM by zippy8 » Logged

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear error, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 01:33 PM »

Imagine if the kite itself had been designed by Porsche, it probably would've been a tail heavy roll-up monster and we would've been calling that flying "German Style" 10 years before the French discovered it  Cheesy

I'm thinking it will be on eBay longer then Charly's Warrior. After all you do NEED a Porsche picnic basket in your Porsche and you can never have too many shiny trinkets. But if you have to point out that little itty bitty tag to get a puff up I think it loses something.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
CD65
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2010, 06:25 PM »

ME: Love,can I buy this Porche kite for $1200.00? Pretty please?

Wife:  Cheesy

Divorce lawyer: you have been served. Tongue

ME: Huh
kitesyoyos

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2010, 03:02 PM »

Only 5 hours and 30 minutes to go. you better all place your bids! : )
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2010, 11:10 PM »

Ended, unsold. Three declined offers. Obviously he's waiting for the coming of the time he knows as The Right Price.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
dragonfly
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010, 02:11 PM »

Second attempt:.... can be found by those who wish to find it.

Like it says here; house rules prohibit links to eBay. Yes, I forget too sometimes.

Moddin' Zippy8

Review in DraMa 8/97.

Freestyle Kite, made by Logokites, based on X-Act, slightly smaller, span 182cm, height 98cm, max. price DM400 ($275), frame Avia 196.
Distributed by Porsche only.
Review sounds pretty bad, was obviously a collectors item even in 1997 ...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:41 PM by zippy8 » Logged

:: a carbon framed out-of-body experience ::
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 05:29 AM »

I tried to find it to remind myself how deluded people can be but I couldn't find it. Amazing, isn't it?

I was amused by Charly's Prophecy listing. The Prophecy is the most sophisticated kite to date. It's only $249 with only a few repaired tears. I also saw some nice looking quads that looked like Rev knock-offs. It's a sad, sad world.  Sad

Bob D.
zippy8

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 06:44 AM »

I tried to find it to remind myself how deluded people can be but I couldn't find it.
Perhaps the key words PORSCHE and KITE entered into the eBay search bar might be of assistance ?  Wink

Mike.

freecheese

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2010, 03:12 PM »

That Porsche kite looks pretty tempting, but I'm saving my money for the 'Fly-Fishing Fish-Flying 1-Line Floating Stunt Bird-Kite.' Bidding starts at $21,000,000,000 USD. Only six days left, people!

zippy8

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2010, 11:51 PM »

the 'Fly-Fishing Fish-Flying 1-Line Floating Stunt Bird-Kite.' Bidding starts at $21,000,000,000 USD.
My new favourite part of that whole event is that payment can either be via PayPal or in person. Grin I think that I'd ask for a discount for cash.

Mike.

freecheese

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2010, 11:29 AM »

Yeah, I'd bet he'd go as low as fifteen or sixteen million if you waved a wad of cash in front of his face.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 12:06 PM »

there was a posting on line about a guy who purchased one of those stoopid itmes that some seller listed at ~20,000,000 and ebay refused it.......and canceled the whole thing.....saying that they were not able to support the sale....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document