GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 12:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kite History...  (Read 389 times)
Trip
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 28, 2014, 06:07 PM »

As of late, I've added a few kites to my bag. So, while I was updating my kite page on the web, I thought it might be good if I include a full description of each sport kite along with the specs, etc. etc. So, I started collecting data and found that I lacked the history for each kite and where it was manufactured. So, what better place to get the history of certain kites than from the GWTWForum Connoisseurs. Many of you have been around kiting for many, many years. Below is a list of the kites I'd like some history about. I would be grateful for any historical facts you might be able to through in that's not on the web:

Skyburner NikNak - Who designed it, any history...

Prism 3D - When did Prism start making it, stop making it... versions and any history... made in the USA?

Prism 4D - Why did Prism replace the 3D with the 4D... history...

Sky Delights Jaws by Joel Schultz - When did Joel start making it, stop making in 2001? How many did he make... any history

Diving Lady by Crystal Kite Company - I got some history on this kite, but I don't know how many were made and when they started and stopped making it... any other history?

Prism Quantum - When did Prism start making it, any other history

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
Kite bag:
Charles G
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 06:42 PM »

I have a Crystal Kites Diving Lady number 10, dated 12/91, so that gives an approximate start date, but I don't know how many were made.

Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:35 PM »

Can't speak for Prism, but was under the understanding that the 3D was redesigned and then changed to the new 4D.  There were a couple upgrades/changes that Prism wanted to incorporate into the 3D to improve the overall design and to make it more appealing to the end users. One of those things was a collapsible leading edge and spreaders.  The 3D used single length leading edge and lower spreader rods which made it quite cumbersome to carry around.  They went to a two piece leading edge and two separate lower spreaders to allow for the kite to fold down to a very nice compact size.  The sail and layout also went through various changes as did most of the fittings mostly for performance improvements and flight characteristics.  Prism originally was going to continue calling the kite the 3D but the changes were so profound that it warranted it's own new name: the 4D.  This also helped Prism, shops and end users associate replacement parts for this new kite separate from the older two designs of the 3D.  There is very little similarity from the 3D to the 4D other than they are both Prism's answer to indoor or ultra light wind flying kites.

Hope that helps.  Please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 08:17 PM »

My memory is that the 3D was introduced in 1996. the kite was made in Settle until 2003 at that time 3D was redesigned from the ground up. The 3D 2003 was just a shade bigger for more stability and lower wing loading, and a Tri-Axis bridle was added.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 03:54 AM »

Trip you should search here on the forum for a post from Lex (http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=344) about the history of sport kites, I think you will enjoy it!

BTW sounds like you should get familiar with putting Prism kites website into the way back machine....or any kite website......
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:59 AM by thief » Logged

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 04:12 AM »

The other great resource for info on '90s kites is the rec.kites newsgroup. Archived and searchable on Google

Allen, AKA kitehead
Captainbob

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 12:44 PM »

The Skyburner Niknak is designed by Jon Trennepohl and Wayne Brunges, the same folks  that designed the Widow NG and Widow Maker and many other excellent kites by Skyburner.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
bt
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 09:23 PM »

Well my Joel Sholz Jaws is now history...it`s going off to a new owner tomorrow actually....it`s boxed and ready to go...
It is signed and dated (12-1-99) but not numbered. Nor does another Neptune I have....it is signed and dated 2-2000 but again, not numbered.
I have a pair of matching Neptunes that are signed, dated AND numbered from 1992 so I don`t know when they stopped being numbered.

https://plus.google.com/photos/yourphotos?pid=5804546705293718450&oid=111336101935145383287

I remember flying Jaws, Neptunes, and Kestrels in the mid 90`s but I didn`t get mine until the early to mid 00`s.
I think they were stopped being made by Sky Delight and then licensed to gfak in 2001....that`s another discussion....
bt
Trip

« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 10:32 AM »

Thanks for the info everyone!

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
Kite bag:
DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 01:08 PM »

BTW sounds like you should get familiar with putting Prism kites website into the way back machine....or any kite website......

thanks for this tip Thief.

Simple but I didn't think about using this one. I've just gone through some of the old BMK Site.   Great stuff!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document