GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 06:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need some FYI on a "Phantom"  (Read 817 times)
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+20)

« on: September 15, 2014, 07:15 PM »

Picked this up on the 'Bay and need some help figuring out the configuration.
I haven't seen a Phantom with the extra (missing the rods) standoffs that this one has. Framed with AFC .2200 on the spine and le. carbon spreaders. Never seen this kind of standoff to spreader connection before. No tag sewn in the sail. Kite appears to be unflown. Not sure if this is a "build" or an original. Any help with this one is greatly appreciated.

Anthony
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 06:09 AM »

That looks suspiciously like a copy where the builder tried to make the kite less noisy by adding the outer standoff to keep the sail vibration "free" in the outer panel.
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 06:40 AM »

Those look like Goodwinds standoff fittings.

I'd use a fairly flexible standoff rod for the outer standoffs and experiment with the lengths.
Framed in AFC .2200s, it should fly quite well in lighter winds.

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:39 AM »

I don't know if I've seen a Phantom like that without a Fizz or Highflyers emblem on the tail below the T, so who knows who made it. Nose looks kind of wide too. Looks nice and crisp, though. Probably flies great.

The extra standoffs are most certainly experimental/custom. As Steve says, a flexible rod will work best. Fiberglass is generally used rather then carbon for this.

Here's a similar Fizz Phantom with it's designer:

https://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej/KitesDesignersBuilders#5429459307906169010

I framed (Skyshark) and bridled that skin from scratch as an experiment and was aghast when John handed it to Tim at Kite Party. I guess it flew pretty well.  Cheesy

Allen, AKA kitehead
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 08:52 AM »

PM Bill Lancashire - you can find him in the members list - He is the expert on the Phantom and its variations and should be able to tell you if it's a genuine Benson/Fizz/ Highfliers or a self build.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
bill lancashire

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:41 AM »

PM Bill Lancashire - you can find him in the members list - He is the expert on the Phantom and its variations and should be able to tell you if it's a genuine Benson/Fizz/ Highfliers or a self build.

I just saw this thread.

I too think that this kite is a 'self-build'.  It certainly looks well made from what we can see in the photographs.

The only time I have seen Phantoms made without a sewn-on label is with the post-1992 Highflyers kites which had more panels than this one (14 in total) and the kite name was printed onto the sail and would be called 'Shadow' as they dropped the name Phantom.

Also I have never seen white thread used for the stitching.

It will be interesting to see how it flies.

Bill. 
whitebirdlover

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 06:16 PM »

Thanks to all who chimed in on this one. It'll get some air time soon! Seemed like a "build" to me also. Very nicely done with good attention to detail. I have some fiberglass that will fill the bill for the second spreader. Somehow, I like the hot pink Carrington on this one, made me smile when I came home from work and saw it hangin' on the wall... Smiley

Anthony
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 05:39 AM »

Theres no benson/fizz tag sewn to the kite down by the tail, so I'd assume a self build.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
bill lancashire

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 08:14 AM »

Theres no benson/fizz tag sewn to the kite down by the tail, so I'd assume a self build.
Yes, this has been mentioned above twice.
Charles G

« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 09:37 AM »

I may have some clues to help identify the builder of this kite. I just picked up a batch of kites on ebay, and there were two Phantom kites as well as a Cheetah included. Both the Phantoms came in bags with 'Cheetah by Wind Toys' tags sewn into them, and the same 'Made in USA' labels sewn into the kites. The bags are definitely not for the Cheetah, the Phantoms fit in them full length.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:55 PM by Charles G » Logged

whitebirdlover

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:53 PM »

No tags of any kind Charles. Carrington fabric according to "sew-a-lot". Won't fit a "Cheetah" bag fully assembled, at least not the two Cheetahs and their bags that I have.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:59 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
Charles G

« Reply #11 on: Today at 06:06 AM »

Both of mine are Carrington, are framed with AFC carbon, and have white thread in places on the kite. The bags are both the same for each of the Phantoms, they both accept the kites full length.
It seemed odd to me that someone would sew the same tag in the Phantom that's on the Cheetah, and would make a bag sized for the Phantom with a 'Cheetah by Wind Toys' label sewn into it.
Next time I see sews a lot I'll take the kites with me and see if we can figure this out.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum