GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 01:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Beginning - AKA's BIG DILEMMA???  (Read 561 times)
Trip
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 12:39 PM »

You're right Schnervel.... do whatever makes you happy when it comes to kites. I've been adding kites to my kite bag for the last several months. I've bought some nice, high-end kites and middle-of-the-road. I've also bought some dual-line kites that I haven't mentioned, such as the Premier Stingray Bullseye and the GFAK Blaster Budweiser "Get Wet" kites.

Whatever floats your boat in kite flying.

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 06:18 PM »

Firstly.. G'day Steve Smiley Still stick my head in to see whats going on, and chat with Adicakes weekly about kites and stuff  Cool

flew the Talon UL and the QPro SUL the other day, 2nd time in a month I've walked the bag down to the park Cool so still flying when all my ducks line up Smiley

Todd, Robert, Allan, Hi guys!

I'm in no way blaming the AKA per se but it does have a place in this discussion. I know it's not the Juggernaut we perceive it to be but it is, and should be at least, a first point of contact for some of the newly interested persons to kiting, and with that, I feel should have a reasonably clear 'my first time on this site' sort of path clearly marked.

I did a little looking through the site and credited, it does have some great resources but I just feel with some tweaking of the tabs and links (no need to reinvent the wheel) you could create a 'yellow brick road' for a beginner or someone wanting to help a beginner to start up in this game. The PDF 'How to fly a kite revised' is a terrific free resource but it's a little buried inside the tabs, all that work needs a bit more of an airing and pride of place. It is after all the burly that will bring in new blood more so than something like 'the rules for team flying' etc.

The rest of the discussion in regards to 'personal contact with random interested folk' is exactly what I hoped to hear, as that's how I've been playing for quite a while.

And to prove it... me out with my nephew, getting our zoom on with my Talon Cool

WinterDaze AoF
Captainbob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 06:39 PM »

I just tried signing into AKA, It forgot my password, I asked for a new one, then with the new one I signed in and tried to change my new 15 digit password to something I could remember, but it wouldn't let me. Now I am locked out of my account all together. Not a very user friendly website.  Embarrassed

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 07:00 PM »

I don't know... kind of given up on the AKA, I mean, I like the magazine, but there's nothing else around these parts, region 1 1/2. Unfortunately, the regional directors are totally unfamiliar with my area, and the local events (1 per year) have dropped off of the calendar the last few years.
I fly a few times each week, and am so happy when someone walks up and asks about my kites. I've learned to put the line or lines (depends on what I'm flying) in their hands before they have a chance to say no... That's the only way I know to promote kiting. If they're curious about getting their own kite, I refer them to Google, and tell them to avoid buying a kite at Wal-Mart.
Sorry AKA, after years of being a member, I've lost hope that next year's going to be better... Maybe we should just face it, kiting isn't for the masses, there are only a few people who get the kiting bug, the rest think it's just a silly waste of time....

dragonfish
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 10:39 PM »

I agree the AKA website needs some more work.  So many people get information through the internet now, that a good and informative website might just make a difference for the AKA. I know it went through an overhaul recently, and things were getting migrated to the new AKA website.  The migration never felt finished to me.  Sometimes I wonder if the process is still going or if it has stalled. 

I think there are some good ideas in this thread, especially WinterDaze's "yellow brick road" idea for the AKA website.  I have some usability issues with the website that I would like to see fixed as well, but never got around to writing someone about it.  How can those of us with ideas or comments make suggestions to the AKA web site team (who is part of this team anyway?)?  I vaguely remember there used to be webmaster information, and possibly a contact email.  I can't find that anymore.  Does anyone know?  Does anyone from the web team or the AKA leadership check this forum? 

Hmm...I guess someone is still paying some attention to the website, because I recently used the "Contact Us" form to report a broken link.  I just checked it again now...it has been fixed.  Maybe those of us who care to help improve the AKA website should start using the "Contact Us" form more.  There is a "Web Site Concern" inquiry type. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document