GWTW Forum
August 03, 2015, 06:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Shore Radical stack  (Read 322 times)
kodama
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 31, 2015, 01:34 PM »

Hello, I have 2 North Shore Radical that I would like to stack to try something different. One is nylon and framed in Prospar, the other I think is Icarex (maybe not) framed in A/C rods. The A/C framed one is newer, so the sail is somewhat crisp, the Prospar one is much older, with a lot more air time, so the sail is more stretched and not crisp anymore. Two questions: 1) Which one should be the front kite with the bridle, 2) How long should I make the link lines? I know someone had done this before, so any suggestions are welcomed!
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 01:43 PM »

i would say that the front kite would be the newer skin.....
and then link lines rule of thumb (and some are going ot come up with specific exacting lengths) is 2/3rds length of the LE....

pictures!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
kodama

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 02:22 PM »

Individual photos of the kites. I'll definitely take pictures when done!
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 02:31 PM »

Mike Dennis can give you the FYI on stacking these, along with all build info.  You can send him a pm here:

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=1346

Which one is the a/c framed kite?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 02:33 PM by whitebirdlover » Logged

Anthony
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 02:48 PM »

Gave Mike a quick call and the main point of emphasis was to use Spectra line for the connecting links and flying line.
150# should do the job on a double stack. Start gettin' your arms in shape.

Love the white rainbow striper...

Anthony
sews a lot
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 06:32 PM »

Anthony ask if I had seen this.  I had not.
Lee Sedgwick is the person that told me about using spectra (old broken line sets) for low stretch in trains.
If you do not have Spectra;  Dacron will be OK for the two kites ,  maybe go a little heavier on the test strength.
As far as line length goes 66% to 75% of LE length on a short stack is fine. (43" to 50").  So make the lines 49"
finished length, before they are put on the kites and you will be fine.
I would put the stiffer (& hopefully heaver frame) as the lead kite.  Age/wear of the sails will not make that much of a
difference in this case. 
Try to pull and not use punch turns at first.  If when doing a smooth ground pass the following kites nose likes to
peek-a-boo ahead of the lead kite,  then set that kite a little heavy by tying a couple of extra knots in each of the lower
three connection lines loops. 
Pretty kites, and after 20+years as nice as any (imo).
Mike

Michel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 01:27 PM »

Hello, I have 2 North Shore Radical that I would like to stack to try something different. One is nylon and framed in Prospar, the other I think is Icarex (maybe not) framed in A/C rods. The A/C framed one is newer, so the sail is somewhat crisp, the Prospar one is much older, with a lot more air time, so the sail is more stretched and not crisp anymore. Two questions: 1) Which one should be the front kite with the bridle, 2) How long should I make the link lines? I know someone had done this before, so any suggestions are welcomed!

The Prospar frame is much stronger than the Easton 3-30 A/C/H.

That's why it would be better to put the kite framed in Prospar at the front IMHO.

North Shore Radical 3 Kite Stack by Top of The Line

kodama

« Reply #7 on: Today at 06:01 AM »

Thanks everyone for your input. First, let me introduce myself, this is my first post to the forum and forgot that (is there a place for introductions in the forum?). Anyway, my name is Nilsen Micheli and I live in Puerto Rico. Had been hooked with stunt kites since early 90’s when I got a cheap stunt kite from a nationwide department store. This got my interest. So I borrowed a kite catalogue from my father and bought my first “real” stunt kite, a Hawaiian Maui. I wanted the full size Team Kite, but not being experienced and weighting about 120 at the time, decided for the smaller one (now I regret not getting the full size one!  Cry ). From then on I was hooked! Have been following the stunt kite phenomenon since then, mostly by reading (AKA, American Kite Magazine, SKQ, kite catalogues, etc.), and was able to attend an ECSKC at Wildwood in 96.
Again, thanks thief, I’ll post pictures as soon as this is done; Anthony, the white rainbow is the a/c framed one, glad you like it, and sure will need to get my arms in shape, I know one is enough to sometimes get a workout; Mike (Mike Dennis from The Flight Squadron?), thanks for all the tech info, I might have some spectra around (will need to sleeve them?), if not I might have some 150# Dacron around, and yes, the NSR is still my favorite kite!; Michel, I will put the Prospar one on front, see what happens, and thanks for the vid!, now I will need a third one!!!    Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum