GWTW Forum
March 01, 2015, 09:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nirvana Question  (Read 113 times)
Dave362
Trade Count: (0)

« on: Today at 03:56 PM »

First post here.....
Until today I hadn't flown a kite in a few years.  Kinda got the itch again, so today I took my Nirvana out for a spin.  funny how difficult simple moves can be after so long......
Anyway, can anyone tell me how much the weight inside the bottom of the spine weighs?  Also, years ago Randy Greenway told me the optimum tail weight for this kite is a little more than the included weight. I looked at my spine and it has one of those 5 gram Blue Moon weights on it plus the internal one.  It must be pretty close to right because the kite is flying and rolling up quite nicely.  Iits been so long, I can't remember how much weight I should be using.  I'd appreciate any insight. 

Nice to be here, and I look forward to discussing kites with you.

Take care,

Dave
KeithG
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:22 PM »

I'd have to go look at one of my Nirvana's but as I recall the inside weight is 15 or 20g. I've flown with Randy quite a lot back in the days the Nirvana was new and we both really liked a total of 20 to 25g. If you're happy with it as is I'd leave it alone as it's probably just right.

Keith

Kites & Corvettes, both, a great way to fly.
Dave362
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:52 PM »

Thanks Keith.
With the extra 5 g I'm probably very close.  Once I got my sea legs back, everything felt just right.  I wll do as you recommend and leave it as is.

Dave
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:59 PM »

17gm keeps popping into my head as the weight for a Niv.
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:50 PM »

The std Nirvana came with 15g and I added 5g. Anything more and the weight started to mess with other flight characteristics of the kite. In combination with the added 5g I shortened the upper spreader to 49cm.

It might be important to note that the later versions of the Nirvana came with a copper rod insert in the spine that was 15 g. I preferred to add the 5g right at the base of the spine as opposed to removing the 15g insert and adding 20g. IMO it positioned the weight too far up the spine. If you want to remove that inserted weight it should be secured with hot glue so carefully using a blow dryer you can remove it to verify the weight.

Hope that helps. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

Smooth Winds
Smooth Winds

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum