GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 10:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skyburner WidowMaker- Windscreen Video.  (Read 6228 times)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« on: January 13, 2010, 03:57 PM »

Here's a video of the Skyburner WidowMaker with windscreens in High winds.
I did most of the flying and Jon Trennepohl did the effects while filming.
Winds are 15 to 17mph. Hope you enjoy it!

Widowmaker Windscreens

Edit- the settings on the kite are the bridal on the setting that dumps the most wind, the heaviest tail weight that comes with the WM, 125ft 150# lines, and the Inner-standoff Breaks.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 07:03 PM by adx1592 » Logged

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
adx1592

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 03:58 PM »

Also, keep your eyes peeled for a Delta Drive video on the Horizon!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 04:53 PM »

Very nice video! Not much videos of the Widow Maker been flown well displaying its abilities out there. What is the configuration of the Windbrakes? Upper spreader to lower spreader, lower spreaders to tail, lower spreaders to wingtips etc..that would be helpful.

While you're at it, a suggestion is also to do a video of the WM with the Quad Line QFlaps. I have a set but after a few tries I couldn't really figure out how to best leverage its abilities  Smiley

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
adx1592

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 06:19 PM »

Hey Darryl, I'll take to Jon about the Qflaps. He did mention it earlier.

The windbrakes go on the innerstandoff towards the Center T.
Jon Makes them. They help a TON. They felt like they took a good 4mph off, easy.

The kite was on the setting that dumps the most wind out of it, and had windbreaks with 150# at 125 foot on them.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 06:47 PM »

Very nice, not many video's of the Widowmaker out there at all. Makes me envious to see all those things I can't do on mine in the best of conditions and you're doing in 15 mph. Those brakes seem to work well, even as small as they are, I didn't see you doing too much running.

Really looking forward to seeing the Delta Drive video, I've been thinking a lot about getting mine out again, sure like the looks and details on that kite. Let us know how many nickles or quarters you're sticking in the flap will you?

Great video quality, shooting and editing too, need to get Jon behind the camera more often.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
adx1592

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 07:00 PM »

Thanks Mike, and yeah, the wind-brakes work wonders. Sometime you can really see the kite really moving (durring the spins after the 1st commete), but most of that was when the wind was down just a bit more. There are a few shots where (i think during the cascade) you can see the kite moving farther and farther back as it rotates. Most of it was just VERY hard, fast inputs, because the snow was so deep- we couldn't really run. Towards the end, the back round changes- we moved to the parking lot because the wind was just a tad less there below 25ish feet above ground (more trees behind us). Again, the kite was with the biggest weight that it came with, the highest wind setting, and screens. You can't hear it because I put music over it and disabled the audio of the clips, but that thing was makin' some NOISE!. It was a good time though. The WM's an awesome kite

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 07:04 PM »

Nice job Devin.

I'd like to see a Delta Drive in action too.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Radian
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 07:58 PM »

Thanks for the video, very nice. Honestly I had not been a fan of the layout of the sail on the Widowmaker but it looks really nice in its element. Good flying too considering the wind Smiley Those adjustments look like they work well.
John Welden

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 08:31 PM »

Doesn't look like 15 to 17mph. Trees aren't even moving at all. I call BS.
adx1592

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 08:45 PM »

There's nothing on the tress for them to move.
Heres a webshot of the forcast at 11pm in plymouth when the day was dying. the winds where higher earlier on.

also

7th to 9th row down. Wind speeds in Plymouth from weather.gov

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Kitemac
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 08:13 AM »

Devin:

Nice video and good to see a Widowmaker in action.

The WM has a range of 3-20 mph.  Since the stock kite was still within the design range why do you need the windscreen? 

Tom
adx1592

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 10:00 AM »

Just takes the edge off a little bit, Slowed the kite down a bit (adds drag), etc.
Since the screens don't inter-fear with anything but yoyo's (speed), I figured it'd be a good time to use them and see how they work. I must say, I was extremely happy. It was just like flying a standard in it's best wind range.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 03:37 PM »

Doesn't look like 15 to 17mph. Trees aren't even moving at all. 

I wondered myself during those JL's at 0:40 too but you can really see the effects of the wind at 1:45, he starts with an axel at the edge then does a reverse axel and the kite is blown back to the center through those two moves. Sure the first axel would've moved the kite towards center but then it continues to center at a good pace during the reverse, there's some wind blowing there. Plus the Widowmaker isn't a fast kite, considering the speeds I'm seeing with wind screens no less IMO the winds were near the stated range through most of the vid, I still think he caught a loll at 0:40 though.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 03:45 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
moegeo
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 04:33 PM »

Hey Darryl, I'll take to Jon about the Qflaps. He did mention it earlier.

The windbrakes go on the innerstandoff towards the Center T.
Jon Makes them. They help a TON. They felt like they took a good 4mph off, easy.

The kite was on the setting that dumps the most wind out of it, and had windbreaks with 150# at 125 foot on them.

Jon had taken video at KP7 of a WM UL with Q-flaps. I'd love to see that one.
Geo.

Say Good Night Dick
adx1592

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 04:40 PM »

Hey Guys,
Jon has the footage, and was thinking about doing a video, I'll drop him a line sometime soon and confirm.

I think we're going to do something again before I go back to school on the 24th (yeah... brakes that long..). If you guys have suggestions, PM me and I'll send them to Jon asap.

I still think he caught a loll at 0:40 though.

Mikenchico- before I read that I thought you meant at the end when I ran it into a tree on its wingtip by accident hahaha

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum