GWTW Forum
August 20, 2014, 07:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Optimum way to hold the straps  (Read 5958 times)
chrispie
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 14, 2010, 09:22 PM »

How do you guys hold your straps?

I tried to hold it like Dodd gross, with fingers.. only to have blisters after some time... I find that the pops are done with more of the hand then wrists.. so that sorta ended up having exagerated movements in a way.

I then tried to hold it like RandyG, with wrists looped in strap and a finger guiding the line.. (prism video pilots hold it this way too) but find it very hard to keep fingers in position, although i do find it very effective in helping to trick as that somehow translates wrists movements more precisely into the lines..

Any input?

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:19 PM »

Whatever way feels good to you, I would say.

I also can't stand straps around my wrists, but I know some pretty decent flyers that do it that way.

I loop them around my ring finger and then hold them between my thumb and index finger.   I tried many different ways of doing it, but this worked out best for me.   I just don't like alot of strap between my hands and the lines.  Even in high winds, I fly this way.  In really light winds, I skip straps all-together and just use a loop of bridle line.

Find what works for you and go with it.

6 kite tom
sluggo
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:56 PM »

I loop them around my ring finger and then hold them between my thumb and index finger.

I use the Jest of Eve "Finger Straps" (should be simple enough to find the relevant links...), which have loops for your ring and pinky fingers. For me they are quite comfortable, and the small finger loops make me feel more securely "strapped in" than with wrist straps (though I might hesitate to use them in gale-force winds for that same reason).
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 02:55 AM »

Hey Chrispie,

As Tom says, "whatever works for you" is the goal, so given that...

This is what I've been using, by no means a perfect solution but I modified a pair of 'Prism Duo Straps' to make them a little closer to 'what I wanted'.

They suit a light to medium wind range, aI've discovered that in a bit more wind they put a strain on the fingers after a while.

Again, I don't think there''s a one size fits all solution, so in that spirit I'm throwing this option into the mix  Smiley

Regards,

WD

WinterDaze AoF
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 03:27 AM »

Anybody have a pic of Dave's straps/torture devices? There would be no slippage with those. Wink

It is true my fingers slip off from time to time however the benefit of including the length of your fingers into the "input equation" far, far outweighs that issue. I would never go back to finger straps or anything else, ever. You lose so much control. Of course once the wind gets up I becomes more difficult and I resort to holding the straps without the fingers extended.

I build my own straps mostly our of Petzl webbing purchased at a nearby outfitter store:

Most comfy straps I've ever tried.

YMMV.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 03:29 AM by randyg » Logged

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 04:12 AM »

when I first started working in a kite shop I came in one day and my boss tossed me a pair of straps....."I know that you will use these" she said to me....
1.5" wide leather straps with a big metal D ring....
I have been flying on them now for 12 years easily and these are still my favorite straps to fly on.....
in lighter winds I will put my wrist through the strap and let th rest hang loose....then if I pop an Axel the weight of the ring gives a nice big centrifugal kick to the pop....double axels are nothing!!!and triples on the right day are possible too....(bruising about the knuckles are a possibility as well)
in higher winds I hold the straps by pinching the sawn area with my thumb and forefinger....
now:
1) I am not a new school trick flyer so I am not certain if these straps would hinder at all
2)I am not a precision flyer....my lines are probably not the same length at all....and the straps are no longer the same length either....
3)they have molded to my hands and wrists over the years and fit - well like a glove Wink
they were originally sent as a sales sample but the guy wanted llike 15$ a pair to him and 30$ to sell them.....yeah how many fliers are going to pay that for a stretchy pair of straps???
gotta find the pix i took of them...
r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
RobB

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 04:13 AM »

Hey CP...
Whatever works... I use the RandyG/Prism method most, keeping you finger on the leader gives the ultimate control. In light winds, I'll use the pinky loop if the starps have it, but I still keep a finger on the leader.
Sometimes, if I'm in a rush, only have a 1/2 hour to fly, I just grab the lines and fly, Dodd style. It takes 10 or 15 seconds to loop your hands/fingers through... that's wasted flying time !  Cheesy
~Rob.

jaydub

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 05:24 AM »

I flew for 6 months quite happily until somebody made a negative comment about my wrist straps.

Since then I've spent a small fortune trying to find the optimum strap and I'm still searching.  I like to feel connected to the line, so I either use short finger straps around my ring and pinky fingers in light winds or short wrist straps around my wrist in stronger winds.

The best advice I can give is to just get out and fly on whatever straps you've got in the way that is most comfortable for you. Undecided
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 05:27 AM by jaydub » Logged
chrispie

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 06:20 AM »

im so happy to have so many replies! Thanks all..

i guess like what many bro said here.. find something that works.. haha..

I had never tried using the 'finger on leader line' style until that day.. i tot it works amazingly.. just a quick flick of the wrists and here is a beautiful and clean half axel.. very small movement, but very effective. Only that it became quite a task to keep finger there in the first place.. esp on high wind. I think somehow that grip forces you to use more wrist movements than forearm.. and an expert in my area also commented that its all in the wrists... I guess somehow that clicked..

Now I just need to mod a handle to make the kind of finger on line hold easier...

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 06:40 AM »

Hey Chris, here's a general rule of thumb that applies to the human body  Smiley

Wrist will always be faster than the arm
Arm will always be faster than your legs (unless you are Usain Bolt that is).

Incorporating wrist into your trick input will help greatly. Just be careful not to stress them too much. Wrists are pretty strong and immediate but can be vulnerable to injuries at the same time Smiley

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 07:02 AM »

What I did for years is wrist straps but instead of placing a finger out at the end or on the line I inserted my index finger through the D ring to the first knuckle, it takes a decent size D ring and does blister you sometimes. I even did this with Hawaiian Team Kites and Flexi Foil 8's, flying off just the index finger (yeah they are about an inch longer then the rest now). But I still found I would drop a strap at times even with them around my wrist since I wasn't gripping the rest of the strap.

I'm currently trying to switch to the finger strap method, around my pinky & ring finger and grasping the strap between thumb & index. I find I don't drop a strap with this method but sometimes get a sore pinky from the sideways pull on it's upper joint.

Whatever works for you is the right way. I have a set of "Good Grips" you could try, they have a padded wrist strap and a handle, will fill a good size bag and weigh a pound or two.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chrispie

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 08:47 AM »

its a pity i didnt notice that JoE sells straps too.. would had bought a set and have him sent over with the Talon... Cry

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
sluggo

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 08:58 AM »

No pity, he doesn't sell them directly anyway  Wink

its a pity i didnt notice that JoE sells straps too.. would had bought a set and have him sent over with the Talon... Cry
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 11:04 AM »

I most often use wrist straps held with the loop around a couple of fingers.

Most "finger" straps are too short and I end up with thumb or forefinger rubbing against the seams. The real nice JOE straps too, though I use the single loop JOEs on one lineset.

Some of my favorite handles are made from soft rope, maybe 1/4". Just a bigger version of using sleeved loops on your fingers.

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 11:36 AM »

there are 2 sets of my favorite indoor/light wind handles.....just larkshead onto the end of the line and you are good to go! the ball is in your palm and very comfortable....
i know that some people fly on handles like this all the time too..

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document