GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 02:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bridle adjusting  (Read 448 times)
Palmahnic
Trade Count: (0)

« on: December 02, 2014, 01:06 PM »

Hi all,

Today, trying my hand at tricking at the beach, I decided I had enough of my attempts to properly fly my Prism Quantum ending with wobbling, kite's loss of energy, poor direction control and inability to snap stall like a ninja. I figured it's either complete lack of motoric skills on my part, or perhaps, and this is after reading bridle conversations here on the forum, something's wrong with the kite.

After consulting Ian Newham's bridling tips (http://www.ian.ourshack.org/kitedesign/bridling.html), altering the "sweet spot" and what not, I measured the bridle strings and found out the outhauls are not equal on both ends of the kite, by about an inch. Huh Could this explain all that I've been experiencing?

In any case, I intend to take it apart tomorrow, and work out a way to even the lengths. Any ideas? I tried tying a knot at the beach, but the difference is too little. Tried compensating with the turbo, which ended up with even less control, as did the uneven setting of the light wind/strong wind on each side. I hate to clip the bridle as it's one string, inhaul and outhaul, with nice loops at both ends for the larkshead.

Any thoughts shared on the matter, especially if you have specific knowledge on this kite, would be more than welcomed.

Thank you kindly.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 04:47 PM »

Before you do anything you need to make sure the measurements are correct.

http://fracturedaxel.co.uk/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9743

If one side is too short you cannot simply cut the other side to make it even and expect the kite to fly correctly. If one side is too short you should either be able to exchange the kite or obtain a replacement bridle from Prism.

Also, make sure everything else is set up correctly:

http://www.prismkites.com/download/quantumProInstructions.pdf

Thinks like the bridle being wrapped around a rod and thinks like that.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 04:49 PM by tcope » Logged

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
cerfvoliste

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 07:39 PM »

Are sure the length is off? Or is one of the knots in the wrong place? Pictures would help.
@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There  You Are.

Palmahnic

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 03:18 AM »

First off, thanks for the links, @tcop, the fractured axle one really helped, the other one was for the Quantum pro, and I have the regular Quantum.

@cerfvoliste: It's not any knot related difference.

I measure the bridle today. The outhauls have a difference of 14mm. That's 0.5inch. Measuring the outhaul and uphaul together and comparing both sides, resulted in the same difference. Is it that big of a difference, to make such an impact?

The measurements were 557mm or 21.75inch spar surface to upper edge of strong wind tab on one side, and 571mm or 22.25inch on the other.

Thank you kindly.
cerfvoliste

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 09:05 AM »

In my opinion it should not make the difference you are describing. I like to get my bridle legs as even as possible and if it bothers you, shorten up the long one. I would.
I have set up my kite with one of the bridle lines wrapped around a lower spreader and not noticed right away. Did it make a difference? Yes. Was it a big difference? No.
@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There  You Are.

dmcneil

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 07:48 PM »

I have set up my kite with one of the bridle lines wrapped around a lower spreader and not noticed right away. Did it make a difference? Yes. Was it a big difference? No.

I did just this with my Hypnotist the other day and noticed a minor difference but was still able to trick and had no problems keeping the kite in the air. I would look for other issues. Also have you checked that your lines are equal lengths?  I had one stretch once and was constantly over steering until I noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Palmahnic

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 02:43 AM »

I did just this with my Hypnotist the other day and noticed a minor difference but was still able to trick and had no problems keeping the kite in the air. I would look for other issues. Also have you checked that your lines are equal lengths?  I had one stretch once and was constantly over steering until I noticed.

Well, here's what I did. After taking one side of the bridle, the outhaul side, off, measuring and comparing, I tied a knot no the string. It pretty much evens both out. Checked the lines, and their equal lengths. There are also minor tears on one of the leading edge sleeves, but I don't think those make any difference. I'll cover those with ripstop patch anyway. I also made sure to readjust the inhaul strings, to match ones described on the Fractured Axle forum. Hopefully all this would make my snap stall and axles come out. Although, I think nothing would help more than a new Window NG  Grin

So far no wind though   Cry

No reply from Prism yet.

Thank you kindly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum