GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 02:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Optimum way to hold the straps  (Read 5882 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 04:53 PM »

rob thanx for not continuing to polish your balls on the forum

have fun kurt
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 07:47 AM »

Let me throw my method into the ring of options.

For light wind flying i use a pair of the tiny kitec straps, which are about 1/4" wide.
Now, make the vulcan greeting, slide the loops of the straps over the ring and little finger,
rest the line loop against the index finger and hold it there with the thumb.

This gives a very nice direct contact to the flying line and the placement of the loops can take
up the actual load.
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 08:55 AM »

This is how I solved the problem of fingers slipping off. I think Dave Smith did something like this as well. They are shaped such that the strap runs along my first two fingers. You can really feel the kite and have much better connection with these straps.
Ken Bour
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 07:27 AM »

I know that this thread is old, but I didn't see the method I learned from Gomberg's book, "Stunt Kites" (see image).

Does anyone use this technique?

Ken

Note: Edited 6/27/2012 to replace attachment with image link
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:09 PM by Ken Bour » Logged

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
red sweater

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 07:46 AM »

Interesting. Both the wife and I have had wrist pains from operating keyboards, so I take that warning seriously.

I'm new to the forum, so I hadn't seen this yet. Mike's description sounds like what I've been doing lately: strap around the wrist, index finger into the d ring. However, I am short, and I have short fingers. I find more animated motions cause the slack in the wrist strap to allow the strap to slide over my wrist, down to my fingers. So I am looking for a better way. I'll give this Gomberg technique a try. Looks like you'd lose some sensitivity to the line tension, though. (Not that I've developed that sensitivity yet.) I might move on to finger straps if I don't like it.

My bag:
HQ Breeze, Silver Fox 2.3 Pro UL, Nirvana Std, Prism Quantum
ITW Mesa DC, Premier Popper Line Climber
Rev EXP
Ken Bour

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 08:06 AM »

I took two pics of the strap to illustrate what I am interpreting from Gomberg's description.

Like Red Sweater, I also do not have much touch/sensitivity and the kite I am currently flying is an intermediate Skynasaur (Trooper) from the 1980's. Yesterday, I flew it in 10+ MPH gusty winds and this strap technique seemed to work pretty well. No stress on the hand or fingers and no fatigue after 3 hours or so, but also no fancy execution with the kite - just basic maneuvers.

Ken

P.S. My avatar pic shows me holding the straps differently - before I reread Gomberg's advice!  Embarrassed

Note: Edited 6/27/2012 to replace attachments with image links
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:08 PM by Ken Bour » Logged

Kites: SkyBurner WidowMaker-STD, SkyBurner ProDancer-SUL, Skynasaur Trooper
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 08:54 AM »

the only way i use that technique is if i have my finger straps. I will put my straps between the spots that the gomberg book suggests; not all the way onto my wrist but not that far up my hand. Or I will wrap them around my bottom three fingers and bring the the strap up to grip between my index finger and thumb.
I doubt i could get a good feeling by holding it between my two fingers without the finger straps

Sine Metu!
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 09:41 AM »

No mater what else I try, I always come back to Prisim Duo's. I miss the old black ones, they just seem to fit me better, but the red and grey ones work fine. I don't like "D" rings at all, it makes it hard to have your index finger tips on the line.
CV

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 10:55 AM »

This is how I solved the problem of fingers slipping off. I think Dave Smith did something like this as well. They are shaped such that the strap runs along my first two fingers. You can really feel the kite and have much better connection with these straps.

These look awsome.
Do you plan on manufacturing and selling them in larger quantities?
However, they don't seem to adhere to the Gomberg warning scheme...

N.

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document