GWTW Forum
May 20, 2019, 06:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: With regrets ... the Forum is closing permanently on JUNE 8th
to contact us email: kitekid@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Optimum way to hold the straps  (Read 31912 times)
dayhiker
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2014, 06:29 PM »

Prism Duos straps work best for me.
Prism Duos have finally ran me out of business. I just couldn't compete with the quality or color selection they provided. Then they drove the final nail in my coffin when they introduced the adjustable line-equalizer. I can't thank them enough.
I too have wondered what would eventually become the best way for me to connect to the kite.  Tried many types the last couple years & seem to be holding the straps very close to the connection to the line except for strong pull situations.  On short line sets or light lines I have now abandoned straps of any kind & just put the sleeved loops over my ring fingers & hold the line pinched between my thumb & forefinger with the line running off my fingertip for sensitivity.  Recently used a Prism line set with the Duo straps & the adjustable line-equalizer.  It was funny because I did not know about this new feature & just thought "Wow, look at dem leaders".  Well I launch the kite & quickly realize I should have checked the line set for equalization.  Prism's new record for me personally is the line set a whopping six inches off.  So what did I do?  Land & tie a big knot in the leader down line from the strap.  Later I realized the true function of the adjustable strap but equalized the line set the conventional way.  Appears Prism can now send out line sets with fourteen inch variations & expect the consumer to be satisfied with a handy but goofy adjustment in the field.  My gripping of straps will continue to evolve.  I will cut the excess leader line off my equalizer straps & use them for Rev handle leader lines.  The colors will be nice compared to the stock Rev black leader lines that they send out on their handles.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 06:39 PM by dayhiker » Logged

"Well him & my uncle tore that engine down
 I still remember that rumblin' sound"   Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
SHBKF
N4XRD
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2014, 09:41 PM »

I normally do something simple with a little webbing and bridle line like this:

[/url
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2014, 05:44 PM »

My post wasn't directed at anyone, simply sharing what works for me.  I chuckled at the number of references to the Prism Duos.  I like the strap, nice and simple, just a little long for finger straps. Wink

I normally do something simple with a little webbing and bridle line like this:
Trust me, if I had your sewing and building skills I wouldn't be messing with the likes of Flight Straps.  Wink
RobB
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2014, 06:29 PM »

The old Prism Duos have a wrist strap & a pinky loop for light wind flying. They're pretty good, but I like the Norm Straps much better !

aaron j.
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2014, 06:12 PM »

Thank you to every body that contributed to this thread. Today I flew using my new HQ finger straps and my Boas in the finger configuration.  I am not new to flying and can do tricks but after trying just my fingers I don't think I will go back to wrist straps unless I have my HW in the air. My inputs were so much more reactive!
aaron j.
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2014, 03:05 PM »

Seriously I feel like I been missing out for the 2 yrs i have been kiting. Cant wait till it starts to warm up here on the East coast. Thank you Norm for the pictures demonstrating the technique of a finger on the line, I will have to give it a try next time out.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: