GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 02:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Axels  (Read 7564 times)
spence602
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 08:43 AM »

Most of my take offs are axel take offs.   Cool  Easy, and tasty looking.

obi

If I'm just out flying for the fun of it (not working on anything in particular, or if someone is watching), I like to pop a reverse coin-toss but not let it settle onto the tip - just fly off parallel to the ground.

It always puts a  Grin on my face when they come out low and flat.

Spence
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 11:31 AM »

Yeah, a nice flat full 360 reverse launch is quite satisfying. Even civilians like it, especially if you pause a few feet off the ground after and then proceed. Looks really intentional to them. That's the key for spectators, things must be obvious.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Tom P
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 12:50 AM »

Here's some info which i had posted at our local Illinois club (i.e., Illinois Kite Enthusiasts) site for people needing some basic instruction on axels (first tricks).  Also see the included video; on the day of that video, as one can plainly see (and hear),the winds were extremely high... but i can axel in a hurricane.  i hope the following helps...

From the IKE posting on beginner tricks:

At the last Club Fly , i was helping with a couple of the basic tricks, which i would like to quickly review here.  Winds were a bit brisk and even choppy that day, but nevertheless, people were still doing very well. 

Tricks take time to learn (but learning in itself is a load of fun!)... oftentimes one has to try at them for many sessions before any progress is noted at all; never be discouraged... unless you get physically hit by a huge load of bird droppings!

STALLS:

One of the first things that one needs to learn, when wishing to trick a dual line kite, is how to put the kite into what is called a "Stall" or "Snap Stall".  This maneuver involves getting the kite to hesitate in the air, cutting off its natural momentum, thus placing it in a basic position wherein you can get it to do a number of trick-oriented things that, otherwise, would be difficult to do.  Stalls, in and of themselves, do not merely have to be a means to an end; if done properly, they can even look very impressive by themselves alone.  The kite is moving along, then suddenly is freezing in the sky, which can be quite impressive indeed!

The action which you are performing, when doing a Stall, is getting the kite to negate the friction of the wind on the sail.  So you are getting the kite to dump wind from the sail and suspend itself without as much wind momentum. 

One of the best ways to do this is to think of yourself as if you were holding the steering wheel of a bus that has its steering wheel on more of a horizontal (rather than vertical) plane.  Have your hands as if they are holding opposite ends of that steering wheel without sliding or letting go.

1.First get the kite toward the outer edge of the wind window (i.e., at the edge of where the wind pulls the kite); go slowly, let's say with the kite going toward the right!
2. Tilt the kite nose up by suddenly pulling your left hand.
3. Simultaneously push with your right hand (remember: as if you had those hands affixed to that steering wheel!)
4. Then quickly reverse by pulling with your right hand and pushing with your left.
5. If you do this rapidly (in quick succession) like you are shaking that steering wheel back and forth like a rather crazed bus driver... you will have a nice Stall; watch the nose of the kite and try to have it end straight up at 12 Noon.
6. Shake the wind right out of that baby with those opposing motions!  Walking/moving forward, toward the end of the process, may also help to keep the kite in a nice Stall; the amount of forward motion would be adjusted according to the wind conditions at the time.

AXELS:

They say that once one learns how to do an Axel, one is hooked... one wants to learn more and more tricks! 

There are many forms of Axels and a number of ways to get the kite into an Axel.  Some of the techniques for putting kites in Axels, on some of the Training tapes and DVDs, seem OK... and others seem rather absurd, to me; but that's just my honest opinion.

Here's how i suggest doing them (which may or may not be right 4 U):

1. Stall the kite or place it slowly at the edge of the wind window (fairly high up in the sky).  For our purposes, let us say that we are on the left side of the wind window.
2. Have the kite's nose facing to the left with little or no momentum to the kite (i.e., the kite should basically be Stalled, though it can be flying gently to the left without much momentum).
3. Pull your right hand back and downward moderately, getting the nose of the kite to turn up and toward the right; this movement is a bit more like a light pop toward the end of its movement (rather than merely being a pull).
4. Right before the nose of the kite hits High Noon, pop your left hand down and back with a nice, quick but moderate pop.
5. As you are popping with your left hand, still tug the right hand down a little but then quickly give measured slack with your right hand.
6. Immediately after, give slack with the other (left hand) so that now both hands are giving measured slack. Give enough slack so that the kite spins horizontally, around 360 degrees.

Timing is everything!  You can also, once you get good, give the kite a little additional help by again giving a little pull with the right hand as the kite comes around toward you again, toward the end of its 360 degree rotation; this keeps the nose down (from being uplifted) and helps with the spin!

There are also Spin Axels, Axel Landings, Axel Take-Offs, and a number of other Axel oriented moves, like the Half-Axel and Half Axel-to-Fade... and a lot of other neat Axel-type stuff...

One other thing.... You need a nice trick oriented kite to do these things.  Invest in a better kite (save up and get a nice flying-machine) and you will be far better off than trying to do tricks with a kite that is not designed to do them well; in other words, try to get a decent, trickable stallion kite, not a Merry-go-round thing that will keep you going in circles!  Some new trick-worthy models are coming out, or already exist, that are very reasonably priced.

Knoted4ever's Axel Tips

Excerpt lyrics from Rush:
Follow men's eyes as they look to the skies
The shifting shafts of shining weave the fabric of their dreams...
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 04:35 PM »

does the axel launch start with a tipstand?? dont believe ive seen it done  video maybe?? i would like to vary my launch a bit something new is always good thanx KO

have fun kurt
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 05:55 PM »

You can axle take-off by starting with both wing tips on the ground. One way is to rotate the kite into a tip stand and then axel input to the top wing. Do it all in one fluid motion from both tips on the ground to the take-off.

The other way is to offset your hands a couple of inches with both wing tips on the ground. Pop the lines just enough to get the tips off the ground and do axle input to the wing furthest from you, the hand offset out the most. To make it easier, you can jocky the kite and wing tips before the launch so one is further away from you to begin with. Pop the lines to get a couple of inches off the ground and axel input the wing furthest away.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
ko

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 06:59 PM »

thank you copied and in my bag KO

have fun kurt
Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 04:31 PM »

axel Animation Test
Dano
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 06:07 PM »

Nice animation!
nosedive

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 09:29 AM »

Last Saturday, w/ Jon T., he was showing us ....and basically ..while at the outside of the window, think of reaching out and flipping the wing tip and throwing it around the other tip ....

So....off to the right of the window, ....pop/pull the right moderately and push hard w/ the left and let her come around ...boom!

I think some instruction on kite tricks tends to be "too detailed" (not that it's not correct mind you Wink ) ....but, ....I can axel w/ this simultaneous motion...

Which reminds me ..I wonder if I can get out today!  Tongue

Jeff
Vents?! I don't need no stinkin' vents! Cheesy
Beachbum
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 02:01 PM »

This was one of the truly original resources back in ye olde days.  There's an axel tutorial in there somewhere, but the first minute with Andy talking is golden.

Tricky Flickery Part 1 of 3

Tricky Flickery Part 2 of 3

Tricky Flickery Part 3 of 3
st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 02:49 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  you   dug  that   out  so  us  old   guys  can  rember  how  to   do  axel  across     ourself   didn't  ya    big     guy   loving  it  Grin Grin Grin

Good air always Bobby
SMG
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 08:32 PM »

those vids are amazing. I cannot believe how flicky those Psycho's are. Now I know why they get snapped up pertty quickly when they show up on the secondary market.

Just cause I am a noob at this, who were the two guys in the vids?

Cheers,
Sean
Beachbum
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 09:08 PM »

Andy Preston is the kite's designer with the dreds.  Paul Latham is the other guy. 
ko

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 09:21 PM »

thanx for the vids beach.. great stuff  KO

have fun kurt
kiten00b
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2009, 01:27 PM »

I wish those classic Andy Preston & co videos were available on DVD.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography