GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 12:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virus / Spyware on Webshots.  (Read 11949 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: January 16, 2010, 01:44 AM »

OK, who else has noticed that Webshots is pushing out spyware/viruses just by looking at someone else's pictures ? As if those annoying pop-up adds aren't bad enough, now the site is pushing out this garbage. I was just looking at a nice SUL kite that's for sale, pictures on Webshots, and I get the dreaded 'Your computer may be infected with... blah blah blah...' message. Click here to clean your PC. Roll Eyes

I get paid good money to clean this crap off of my customers machines, so I know to kill out of IE through the task manager when you see that... DON"T CLICK ON ANYTHING on that page. It's better to pull the power cord out of the machine than to click on that screen !

Webshots has been going down hill for a while, but this is really sad. It's not the first time, I've seen this a few times from WS in the last few months. There are some great photo archives on WS, and it's too bad that you have to risk your computer's security to see them.

I have one word for webshots users... Flikr.  Cool

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:28 AM »

I've written to the tech department on the subject. I'll post their answer. I haven't had that problem on my Mac, but I do get pop-up ads to use their printing service every time I upload now. (They call it a service, not an ad).

Sadly, I still prefer the folder management system Webshots uses to the other services. I am open to enlightenment on this aspect of other photo websites.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ko

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 11:29 AM »

thanx for the info i guess i will be looking also although i dont have much to move i will go with whatever john decides if that is copacetic i share pics for pleasure not to screw friends and family up thanx again KO no pressure john Cry

have fun kurt
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 12:04 PM »

That is a symptom of the IS2010 family of virus's that is going around, whether it is being served by a Webshots advertiser or you got it someplace else, once you have been infected you will get that message all the time.

Like Must said NEVER CLICK ANYTHING IF YOU RECIEVE A MESSAGE LIKE THAT, that downloads additional malware to your computer. CTRL/ALT/DEL and end task on your browser immediately. Educate everybody in your family of the same.

I just had to help my sister in law for an hour over the phone in an attempt to get rid of that one. She's an IT person for the miltary with security clearance, but has not educated her kids yet. Also doesn't know about msconfig, where the reg keys reside etc, etc, I often wonder how people get these $100k a year jobs with so little knowledge but to make a long story short.

It's a nasty one, she had her banking and credit card info stolen and it killed her computer before we got it off. Like any tech her solution was to lose everything and buy a new drive. She was frustrated after that hour with me and didn't want to finish the job, oh well.

I've avoided Webshots for years, and have mentioned it to John before over the last couple of years but get the same song & dance - that he's emailed them - but they have the best folder management so he'll continue to expose all the forum members to these threats. To each his own.

Activate your status bar in your browser, hover over any picture link and look down there BEFORE CLICKING, if it's going to Webshots DON"T CLICK IT! If it's in John's post DON"T CLICK ON IT!

Jeez webspace is free, Windows has a nifty built in FTP agent where organizing and uploading is done right in an explorer window just like you would do any file organizing on your computer, what could be easier? There are 100 freeware progams that will write you a thumbnail page from a folder of pictures in four or five clicks then you save that to your site. No add's, no malware, no info harvesting.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 12:10 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 12:17 PM »

Top 9 Photo Hosting Site Reviews

other reviews

Flickr
Zoto
Smugmug

Others I have located, have not tried all, no personal recommendation

Photobucket

Keep all your pics and videos in one place -
room for up to 5,000 photos and hours of video! For free.

Image Shack

You can upload as many files as you want, as long as each one adheres to the Terms of Service.

Flicker

TinyPic

Tinypic® is a fast, simple and reliable video and image hosting site that you can use to share your experiences.
There is no registration or log-in required, simply submit your picture or video. That makes it the perfect site
for linking to MySpace.com®, eBay®, Orkut scrapbooks, message boards, forums, blogs, journals, e-mail, IM, and
other websites.

Best of all: it's FREE!

How it works is you upload your video or image and we provide you with a simple URL (e.g. http://tinypic.com/1)
that is guaranteed to be unique. It will point to your, and only your, video or image. You can then copy and paste
the link that we provide to share your pictures on your favorite sites all without having to upload your image or
video all over again. That's it.

List of some image host sites

VillagePhotos

Free plan
50 Images    Unlimited MB

WinSoftMagic

Our photo hosting's advantages:

* No registration required
    * Extremely easy to use and simple
    * Unlimited number of photos/galleries
    * No photo resolution limits
    * Direct image linking
    * Thumbnails are automatically created
    * Fast and reliable servers, fast uploads/downloads
    * Unlimited bandwidth
    * Platform-independent service (compatible with PC, Mac, mobile phones and other devices)
    * Security - high level of security for most legal purposes. Your photos/galleries are not available for public viewing. You get unique URLs to your photo galleries and particular photos. You can share any links you choose with your friends, family, etc., post URLs in forums or send by e-mail, but you decide yourself what to publish (and how) and what not. Someone who has a URL one of your gallery/photo cannot see your other galleries/photos.
    * FREE

Limitations:

* The maximum file size of one photo is 2 Mb (our Advanced JPEG Compressor easily helps to forget about this limit)
    * Legal use - read our Terms of Service
    * If a photo has not been accessed for more than one year, it may be deleted if we need to spare more space for other photos. So please do not use this service for archiving or back-up purposes

ImageCave

huge bandwidth, lots of storage! Simple and direct - reliable photo hosting on fast servers.
Free accounts get enough storage for hundreds of images, and 1GB/month of data transfer!

Links to 16 hosting sites

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

kiten00b
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 11:38 PM »

I won't even click WebSh1ts links anymore, but if you want to, I advise Fire Fox, with the  AdBlock & NoScript extensions.
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 12:26 AM »

Could one of you fine individuals show me a webpage on any of these hosting sites showing a good album storage display system?

I'd love to see it, really.

I have about 7000 photos with text accumulated over several years on Webshots and would love to have a similar Website on a more secure site. When I started on Webshots, it was the best of what was available, and on my Mac, for the most part it still is. But I am open.

Please point me to a well done site with large amounts of photos and text.  Smiley

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 04:57 AM »

I know that picasa will accomadate you just fine John.....get 1g free and then you can pay a modest amount for more space. and the decided to keep runninhg the deal of - if you upgrade you memory with them you get a free "eye fi" sd card for your camera....wirelessly upload your pix fromthe camera to the computer or direct to a couple of hosting sites...
picasa is a program that runs on your computer and identifies every image file on you drive - does not move them just identifies them and provides a great user interface to mull through of them.....

picasaweb.google.com

I have been using it for about three years and still love it.

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
RobB

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 07:03 AM »

Hey there...

John, I'm sorry that this post seemed to be aimed at your huge collection of pictures, which is the best archive that I've seen. I risk going to webshots to see your pictures, and although I've seen junk pop up with your pictures, the problem I had the other day was from another user's pictures.
I know this garbage is coming from webshots, and not resident on my machine before I went to webshots. Pop-up adds are one thing, annoying, but this is malicious software that's being distributed and is going to mess up alot of people's machines and cost them alot of $$$ to fix if they can't fix it themselves.
I haven't seen any anti-virus software that identifies and blocks this garbage before it's all ready on the machine. Now, of course, Mac users are immune to alot of this stuff, but some of us have to do business with our computers don't have a choice but to run PCs. I've gotten all of my PCs for free from work, and I'll be darned if I have to pay for a Mac, no matter how cool they are. I'd rather spend my $$$ on more kites.

As far as which hosting service to use... I use Flikr, but couldn't say that it's the best. I would think with a serious archive like that, you should consider doing your own webpage. That way it's always yours, and you have full control over what goes on.

~Rob.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 07:35 AM »

edit: oh and John, like Rob, I have nothing but respect for your photo's and efforts to archive so much history. Watching the forum and posting relevant pictures, your contribution here to everybody is ... well... . Change isn't easy, you're comfortable, but really it's time to change.  Sorry if I came across personal, it's webshots, I had a bad experience the other day too

The main problem with Webshots is the amount of advertising, I'm sure Webshots isn't sending virus's, that would be one of the advertisers. But when profits take priority over customers things degrade and Webshots went over that line 2-3 years ago. As a PAYING customer like YOU visitors to your site should not be bombarded with advertising to the point that your albums are unusable. As you stated, now as a paying customer even you are being harassed - that is sooo over the line it's time to leave.

I use Flickr & it's OK for what I do. I understand you needing more so do check out Picassa, it's "Synch to the web" feature may make you very happy. In short, you create a folder on your computer (not in iPhoto's on an Apple though, just someplace else", select that folder as your synch folder. Now any changes to that folder including editing of photo's, tags or descriptions and any additions, deletions or changes to your folder structure are automatically reflected on your Picassa site.

I don't know what could be easier or more convenient then the capability to work on your albums whenever and wherever you choose on your own computer, using your own preferred operating system and programs, online or offline. Then having any changes automatically reflected to your website when you are connected. 1 gig is free and you already have it if you have a gmail account, 20 gig is $5 a year, 80 gig is $20, 200 gig is $50 and you get that free wifi card.

Switching, unless you have your webshots site mirrored on your own computer won't be easy, but just imagine if you had been on Picassa it would already be mirrored and portable  Wink

I'm not a big fan of how big & powerful Google is getting but so far their aim seems to be customer service & innovation. Of course they are making money off every click you make but it is still kept so deep in the background you are not too bothered by it and the info they gather isn't so personal as to be scary ... yet. That may change if the Google browser, Chrome O/S, and Cloud Computing become the preferred way of computing. At that point though I'll probably go back to land lines and snail mail, or just dropping by your house. Remember that?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 07:59 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Sketch

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 11:32 AM »

Hummmm? One Question? Cry

How can we retrieve all our albums off WEB&%#*S' without doing further damage?
Dumb n nummmmer...What a bummer??

I have a new external hard drive and wonder if I could just tranfer those photos of mine on Web&%#*s' without doing more damage?

kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 12:45 PM »

How can we retrieve all our albums off WEB&%#*S' without doing further damage?
Dumb n nummmmer...What a bummer??

Hopefully you don't rely on a website to be the only source of your pictures.

My personal method of handling photos

Load all the photos to a folder on the computer "in-coming"

copy (not move) all files to another folder named with the date/subject on my external HDD in a "2bburned" folder (when this folder size gets close to DVD capacity I burn them to disk)

I then begin to edit the new photos in the "in-coming" (delete, correct, and crop)

once all the editing is done the files are copied to the external HDD to a folder (named with the date/subject) to a folder named "photos" (and again when the size is large enough to fill a DVD I burn a disk)

so what I end up with is a DVD with all the original files, and a DVD with all the edited files plus any I elect to keep on the HDD

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 01:11 PM »

Test link below.

My Mac does not have an Intel processor (6 years old), so I can't use the super cool Mac interace. I can upload photos in groups of 5. Finding and adding the text along with the upload works out to about 3 minutes per photo. Or, in other words, if I worked about 8 hours a day for 6 weeks, I could transfer my photos and text to Picasa.

Gentlemen, until a faster system is found, it appears I will stay with the blight that is Webshots, just as many of you will stay with PCs instead of spending your money on a safer computer.

Overall, I do like most of the features of Picasa™.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HwvGSRSrpczhwrny_gq5bQ?feat=directlink
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:20 PM by chilese » Logged

kiten00b
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 01:20 PM »

is this what you're trying to do?

right click/copy image location, nest in img tags

something like this?

this one points to your Picasa Web album, you could substitute the larger image's location instead
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:40 PM by kiten00b » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 01:21 PM »

No right clicking on a Mac.

And no, I was attempting to link to the photo with a thumbnail, not embed an image. Couldn't quite get the correct text. But then, my computer savvy isn't that good.

Thanks though.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 01:24 PM by chilese » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum