GWTW Forum
November 29, 2014, 01:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virus / Spyware on Webshots.  (Read 11868 times)
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 01:40 PM »

{url=img.jpg}{img}thumb.jpg{/img}{/url}
replace{ with the appropriate ]

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2010, 02:41 PM »

Just got a phone call from my puter-savy friend who works for Microsoft....and he said---------- "Shultzie, if you want a little sobering info about "WEB&%#*S" and other photo storage web sites similar to those....just go to Google and type in "WEBSHOTS-VIRUS"

After that...Yes, he highly recommends storing important photo on more than just one place. Starting with USB Slider Flash drives, external hard drives and hopefully time tested DVD's.
Trusty any computer..no matter how fail safe it may appear...to hold precious memories or other sensitive $$ matters on just one place is a pretty risky affair.
However...I was surprised that he couldn't or wouldn't recommend any kind program or concepts in how to stay cyber-safe in this fast changing new world?
(pretty uncomfortable feelings he left me with...Hummm? Roll Eyes Huh Cry
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2010, 04:26 PM »

I have my computer hard drive for main storage.

My backup is an external 2TB drive which I keep totally unconnected inbetween 10 day backups.

Webshots is for sharing photos with everyone else.

Thanks for the virus info. I'll go check it out.  Huh

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2010, 05:56 PM »

Right click is supported by Mac.

They just don't provide anything to click on the right.

Try control click.
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2010, 11:19 PM »

Thanks big guy.  Smiley

RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2010, 12:22 AM »

Test link below.

My Mac does not have an Intel processor (6 years old), so I can't use the super cool Mac interace. I can upload photos in groups of 5. Finding and adding the text along with the upload works out to about 3 minutes per photo. Or, in other words, if I worked about 8 hours a day for 6 weeks, I could transfer my photos and text to Picasa.

Gentlemen, until a faster system is found, it appears I will stay with the blight that is Webshots, just as many of you will stay with PCs instead of spending your money on a safer computer.
Overall, I do like most of the features of Picasa™.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/HwvGSRSrpczhwrny_gq5bQ?feat=directlink

Macs aren't for business, that's the biggest reason there's not one in my house. If there were a place for them in the business world, I would have to learn them, too, and there would be one or two at my house.

The reason there aren't AS MANY viruses for Mac is why would a hacker waste his time going after less than 20% of the computer population ? The purpose of a virus is to take out as many computers as possible.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2010, 07:02 AM »

The purpose of a virus is to take out as many computers as possible.

No jolly's in telling your friends you infected 12 computers?

In a recent hacking competition at a major University the Apple was the first to go down, under 15 minutes. In reality it is the least secure O/S out there, it just isn't targeted. Since there isn't much market there also isn't much security software written for it. I don't know how much the chanting helps ...

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2010, 07:41 AM »

Always a pleasure to tweak the PC/Mac thing.  Smiley

Yes, you both have given excellent reasons why PCs aren't as safe as Macs. And I'll even agree with you. The fact remains, that Macs are safer. I am almost happy that the hackers don't want to waste their time on Macs, except I have a PC also.

You people could run Macs and the software Parallels Desktop. Then run Windows for all your business apps. The company I do part-time work for switched last year to that configuration. But PCs have their place and are certainly incredibly strong with excellent bang for the buck.

I'll contact Picasa about ways to speed my upload bottleneck. Thanks for all the suggestions. I am saddened Webshots has deteriorated. Frazer offered to help with the transfer a while back.

Maybe their is a way to copy over the photos from Webshots to Picasa. I'd still lose all the text, but it would be a start.

Still open to suggestions, and feel free to keep the Mac/PC thing going. It's always fun.  Well, I'm off to the dentist to get a crown, then the gym. Back later.  Lips sealed

Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2010, 05:36 PM »

I am sure that the other picture hosting support would have a way of transferring webshots data and pics to their system.  Just have to contact their customer support and see what they got.

On another note, that is an awesome picture of that Rev Stallion! Grin Grin

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 05:26 AM »

That is the section of the picasa page that creates direct links to your images....makes it REALLY easy to post in ANY forum!
on the right hand column there is blue text that says "link to this Photo>" and this is the drop down box that appears....
my preference is for 400px pictures and "image only (no link)" option....then you copy the "embed image" url (what ever way you do it on a mac etc) and post in the standard image tags on here.....works very well!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2010, 06:59 AM »

Test link below.

My Mac does not have an Intel processor (6 years old), so I can't use the super cool Mac interace. I can upload photos in groups of 5. Finding and adding the text along with the upload works out to about 3 minutes per photo. Or, in other words, if I worked about 8 hours a day for 6 weeks, I could transfer my photos and text to Picasa.

Are we reading this as you can't currently use the Picassa program and it's Synch Folder feature? That really throws a wrench in the works, eh? I would've just said work on it at your leasure until completed then tell Webshots to bug off. You could put that PC to use, setup a Synch folder and work at your leasure, or is it a hopeless dinosaur like a couple of mine?

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2010, 12:07 PM »

Mike,

More than reading it.

I downloaded the software and attempted to load it on my Mac. I got a window telling me the computer was not an INTEL based Mac and the software wouldn't work.

I went to the Forums and read in addition that:
1 the software for Macs hangs up a lot of the Intel Mac computers after uploading a few pictures
2 the upload software severely compresses the photos leaving visible artifacts
3 there doesn't seem to be a way to grab the Webshots pages and bring them over directly to Picasa

It also looks like there is no way to rearrange the albums and/or pictures within an album, although I may have read that incorrectly.

I couldn't find any contact information to get any technical support. Maybe if I signed up for additional storage, that information might appear.  If you have any contact info, let me know and I'll use it.

MEANWHILE: Webshots wrote back to say:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Webshots Customer Support.

Webshots downloads are 100% free from viruses. We scan and verify ALL files before we make them available. Download with confidence! The software is safe!

So I wrote back and asked them again, directly if they or their advertisers are pushing spyware in any form at any time.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2010, 07:23 PM »

Of course you could always download Microsoft Internet Explorer for Mac  then you'll have unlimited upload capacity  Grin  Grin

I saw something about a plugin for iPhoto I thought, odd though since I also saw that you could not set a folder in iPhoto as your Synch folder since it is protected and Picassa can access photos in there as read only.

I wouldn't believe that Webshots is knowingly doing anything harmfull, but often advertisers are not thoroughly screened and even if they are what's to stop them from changing their advertisement or possible picking up an infection themselves that could be passed along. My problem with Webshots is the amount of adds, and amount of Flash, until last year I was dial-up like 50% of the country still is and Webshots was completely inaccessable to me unless I wanted to leave the computer running for an hour to get that first page downloaded. Once the popups started that meant you had to sit there for that hour to dispatch them so the page could continue loading. Now even after you've dispatched all the popups when you click to view a picture it takes you to an advertisers site instead rather then to the picture, forcing you to start all over. And you have to pay for that? They are taking money from you, then using your site to make money from advertisers and never letting me see your pictures that you wish to share with me, there is something very wrong with that.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 08:18 PM by mikenchico » Logged

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2010, 08:43 PM »

Ah found a couple other upload options for the Mac here

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=45155

iPhoto Uploader

Upload an entire album at once by selecting an album in iPhoto's Source List on the left side of the page.

Comments added in iPhoto will be uploaded to Picasa Web Albums along with the photos.

Checking the box next to 'Make Picasa Web Albums tags from iPhoto keywords' to convert iPhoto keywords to tags in Picasa Web Albums.

Upload your photos faster and save storage space by choosing from one of the options on the 'Scale Large Photos' drop-down menu. Here are your options:

• Actual: Same size as original file on disk, preserves all photo metadata, such as camera type and exposure settings
  • Better Quality (1600 pixels): Great for prints, sharing online albums, or for use as a screensaver
  • Fastest Upload (1000 pixels): Good for sharing online albums with friends and family

People visiting your web albums will be able to click the Download button at the top of any photo to download the photo at the same resolution and size as you uploaded it.

Anything other then Picassa or another site being able to transfer your webshots albums themselves direct from webshots is going to take time.

Bummer you can't run the newest Picassa it will put the tags and descriptions right into the EXIF info of the picture making all the info totally portable.

Sketch

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2010, 08:46 AM »

Uhh...Here's a dumb question?
Does Picasa take up any of my very limited disc space on my 85% filled Windows XP 2005 Media Addition Dell from Hell puta'? Undecided

I have so many photos placed all over cyberspace...starting with Photoworks.com, Websh1ts and flickityfloppa-poopa-paapa and even a few others I can't even remember my usernamealdo's or peewords!!!!
(forever lost in cyberspace.comeback home) Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum