GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 06:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virus / Spyware on Webshots.  (Read 11484 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 09:11 AM »

Picasa is a program that runs on your hardware.....it identifies all of your image files and shows them to you in one user interface....you can have it set to continuously search for new image files or you can scan when you want to...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 09:23 AM »

caution!! when i ran the auto load for picassa i thought i specified "MY PICTURES" only it decided it wanted to catologue all the cd info+the cover pics on over 400 albums in a different area what a mess! i just 86d the program   maybe i will give it another shot when i get a little more patience JOHN i truly hope a solution can be found for you !! your collection is priceless and without captions i would not have a clue THANK YOU for all that you do  KO
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:34 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2010, 12:30 PM »

Here is the 3rd email I received from Webshots. It's from Dennis, whom I usually get to by the 3rd iteration.

I read the link's privacy statement. They certainly harvest information. I don't know how their harvesting compares to other websites. You may want to read the privacy statement, Mike, as you certainly appear more knowledgeable than I on these matters.  Smiley

Hello,

Webshots is committed to protecting the privacy of its users, and making your Webshots experience enjoyable and safe. When you download our software or photos, register for our online services, send our electronic greetings or other email, the information
you provide to us is used only to customize your experience and to deliver email notifications to you (or people you designate as your recipients). The names and email addresses you give us when you simply send a card are NOT sold, compiled into any type
of mailing list, or otherwise used for any type of email solicitation. Our data collection policies with regard to current and future services allow you to choose how much information you provide to us, and to control how we use that information. Read
below to find out more. For additional information regarding our privacy policy, visit http://www.webshots.com/html/privacy.html

Thank you,
Dennis R
Your Customer Support Representative

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2010, 12:44 PM »

KO you can specify which folders you want picasa to run through.....and just leave off the cd jackets......

it is a bit weird when you first use it as it is showing you pictures you probably forgot where they were....but then when you settle into in it is a very easy system to utilize!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2010, 02:19 PM »

*Sketch ,Picassa the program does take space, but you can use the Picassa service without the program using the website to upload, not as convenient but functional.

*John, that policy looks pretty wide open to me but it's all psychobabble/legaljabber to me too. I see they gather personally identifiable info, then add to that any other personal info they can gather from any other sources. By signing up for any webshot service or voluteering any info you agree to allow them to share that info with any partner or affiliate. Nothing out of the ordinary really.

Here's the gripe, now that clicking on a picture you link to takes me to an advertisers site I can't even see the shot full screen, I had no problem up to the other day when this started, not being able to download the full size was never a problem but these old eyes would like more then a thumbnail sometimes. That's why I never asked to become your Friend, once you volunteer any info, like my email to be your Friend, they have full rights to all the personal info they can gather on me. I don't allow just anybody to sell my personal info for their profit. You are paying them already to host your pictures and supposedly to allow you to share them with me, that's no longer true though.

I don't sell myself that cheap. Your pictures are nice but ... They really should be paying you.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:37 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 02:30 PM »

hi rob there are 2 options i went for "my docs" i believe .. what didnt figure is that all of my music is on my lacie backup drive of course i have that backed with my mp3 player. there is of course drag and drop which is probably what i will try next that way i am hoping that i can keep my albums intact for me this is nothing because as i mentioned i only have a couple of hundred pics i want to permanatly share with no comments as apposed to thousands with captions-- i just want to keep every1 safe

have fun kurt
kiten00b
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 03:52 PM »

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 06:20 PM »

Slowly building.....

No text yet. There will be a folder for each year and probably less than 1000 pictures total when I'm done.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 07:51 PM »

Big process with your library. Lets hope Picassa fills your needs and remains reliable.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 12:12 AM »

Could one of you fine individuals show me a webpage on any of these hosting sites showing a good album storage display system?

How about Picasa through Cooliris ?

And yes... though shalt use Firefox with NoScript lest thou wishes a plague upon thine self and thy kin.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2010, 01:02 AM »

Thanks Mike.

Sadly, once again, my non-Intel Mac is not supported by CoolIris.

What I meant  by good album storage display is an ease in adapting the interface.

So far in Picasa I have been unable to find any way to rearrange the photo albums except by their 2 arbitrary methods. They do allow rearranging photos within albums and moving photos between albums. I suppose I could play leapfrog with all the photos of the various albums to get them in the order I want and then rename the albums.

Other than that, the Picasa viewing system and excellent slideshow mode are quite enjoyable. And by using 2 upload pages, the wait time is reduced as I can spend time choosing what next to upload while the other page is uploading.

zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2010, 03:01 AM »

Sadly, once again, my non-Intel Mac is not supported by CoolIris.
I think the weak link in your re-organisation plans should be clear by now  Wink

Cooliris is very sweet and offers a very nice presentation to all of the major online galleries.

So far in Picasa I have been unable to find any way to rearrange the photo albums except by their 2 arbitrary methods.
Sort into galleries on your PC~Mac~whatever and then upload. If you need to move about later then, yes, it's clumsy and easier to remove the online gallery and recreate. And once you get to lots of pics. in lots of folders then it will slow down. It is working hard, give it a break.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2010, 09:53 AM »

Please send me a couple of thousand dollars Mike and I will remove the weak link to the system.

As it is, I am uploading the photos in groups of 5. Not 5 albums, 5 photos.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2010, 11:45 AM »

Neither one of those Mac uploaders worked for you I linked? One specifically said it supported Power PC based Mac's. Or is your OS pre Linux/OS10 too? We're not talking Apple IIe here are we?  Cheesy

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2010, 12:00 PM »

I'm running 10.5.8 for my OS.
My iPhoto is '08.
According to the Forum, the plug-in doesn't seem to work too often and my iPhoto may also be too old at 13 months. Thank you Google again.

At least 2009 is uploaded.

I never really used iPhoto anyway.

I must be a dinosaur.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change