GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 08:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virus / Spyware on Webshots.  (Read 10903 times)
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2010, 01:43 AM »

Please send me a couple of thousand dollars Mike and I will remove the weak link to the system.

Cooliris works on the viewer's side. Allow me to demonstrate:-

And it works just fine on my kids' pocket calculators netbooks so "thousands of dollars" aren't really needed.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2010, 04:22 AM »

OK, so I was browsing someone's pictures on webshots, and actually captured the invitation for trouble. You may dispute that this is coming from webshots, but I assure you it is. I visit quite a few web sites, and webshots is the only site in recent history that pops this garbage. If you click anywhere on this pop-up, you will infect your machine. If you see it, close it, through task manager if possible. It's better to pull the power cord out of your machine than to click on this, or similar come-ons.
Cleaning this garbage off of my customer's machines is an unfortunate part of what I do, it sucks because it's a waste of my time, and my customer's $$$.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ko

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2010, 09:46 PM »

ok now i have picasa and now i dont know how to post pics again help please  thanx KO ps what is your computer infected with? doesnt anti virus -spyware software work ?? i run norton 360 your telling me i  am not protected?? i dont plan on using webshots anymore just wondering

have fun kurt
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2010, 11:08 PM »

Nortons?   Roll Eyes  Cheesy  sorry   Sad

yeah you should be protected until your subscription runs out, then watch out (rumors & personal experience)

Must86 recently posted the screen he's been getting, it actually looks like he has a website advisor running, it was a warning that the webshots site is a known personal information gatherer & seller, that you can find in their privacy statement.

Good for you for switching, if enough people drop them they might re-think their practices.

How to insert a picture from Picassa Web Albums

To insert a picture open the picture you want in your web album and on the right side bar you will see a "Link to this photo" hyperlink, click it to open it, your looking for the "Embed Image" box, right under it you'll find a few options. First is "Picture size"  click the drop down and choose one, medium 400 pixels works well on the forum. Then two check boxes, one for "Hide album link" the other for "Image only, no link" check them both. Now go back up and copy the link out of the "Embed Image" box. On the forum click the "Insert Image" button and paste the link you copied between the {IMG}{/IMG} tags that brings up. If you want to link the picture back to your web album site you'll need to highlight that whole tag then click the "Insert Hyperlink" button to get the url tags, in the opening url tab you'll need to add an = sign like this {URL=} then paste the url of your web album page directly after the = sign, no space.

like this

Easy Peezy. Remember CTRL C  & CTRL V are your friends.

Click on quote on this post to see exactly what I've done

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 11:27 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Andy S

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2010, 01:44 AM »

OK, so I was browsing someone's pictures on webshots, and actually captured the invitation for trouble. You may dispute that this is coming from webshots, but I assure you it is. I visit quite a few web sites, and webshots is the only site in recent history that pops this garbage. If you click anywhere on this pop-up, you will infect your machine. If you see it, close it, through task manager if possible. It's better to pull the power cord out of your machine than to click on this, or similar come-ons.
Cleaning this garbage off of my customer's machines is an unfortunate part of what I do, it sucks because it's a waste of my time, and my customer's $$$.

Have you sent this to Webshots for their opinion?

That's definitely not coming from Webshots. You got a trojan.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:49 AM by Andy S » Logged
RobB

« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2010, 03:22 AM »

This screen shot is a pop-up that came from one of Webshot's advertisors. It is a trap to lure you into installing the malware on your machine. If you were to click on the text 'return to my homepage', malicious software would be installed on your machine. Pretty much, all you have to do is click anywhere on the pop-up, and some piece of garbage like 'Antivirus Pro 2010' would be dumped on your machine. This pop-up doesn't come from any security software that's on my machine, it comes from the webshots website.

I am confident that my machine was not infected before I got there, I know how to recognize that, as mentioned before, this is what I do for a living. If you were wondering, I am running Windows 7 Pro, and Computer Associates Enterprise ITM. The ITM package downloads updates every 6 hours, and scans for virus and pests every day.

I would have gotten a Trojan, possibly, if I had clicked anywhere on that pop-up. There's nothing the best security software can do, because you are authorizing the malware to install, your security software figures you know what you're doing. The really good malware will actually disable/delete/ uninstall your security software. Some of it gets so bad that it disables task manager !

The pop-up will not always say the same thing that I captured, but it is usually along those lines. Something that tells you that there's a problem with your machine, or the website that you're viewing, and to click here to make the problem go away. When you see it, open task manager, and kill IE . Using a third party browser like Firefox might be safer, as well. I have to use IE, because it is the only supported browser on alot of corporate websites that I interact with, and it also works better with my firewall server.

It's a nightmare out there... it's not just webshots, this cr@p is ALL OVER THE internet. Shopping sites, social NW sites, kid's game sites... Just know what to do... only believe a 'security' pop-up if it comes from your security software. If you have Norton's, the message will come from Nortons, if you have McCaffe, it will come from them, in my case, a valid security pop-up has the CA logo.

Good luck out there, and I'll post more examples of what not to click on as I collect them...

~Rob.

ko

« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2010, 08:37 AM »

THANX

have fun kurt
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2010, 10:49 AM »

Mike, I am unable to have both boxes checked at the same time per your instructions. This seems to make sense as one has the link and the other doesn't. I can get the image, but not as a link. ko seems to have done the same as his photo is not linked.

But, by following the rest of your directions, the task is complete,  thanks.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:58 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kiten00b
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2010, 11:20 AM »

1. go to the page with the full-sized image, copy that URL however you do it on a Mac.
2. paste that URL within the [url=] and [/url] tags
3. go to the thumbnail/smaller image you want to post here, copy that URL. Copy the [img]thumbnail URL[/img]
4. Paste the [img] tagged thumbnail after the = in the [url= large image URL]here[/url]
5. use Preview
6. best of luck.
ko

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2010, 12:50 PM »

pain in the B____

have fun kurt
kiten00b
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2010, 12:57 PM »

if you know how to copy & paste, it's not hard.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2010, 01:09 PM »

KO & John your right I was checking both and not seeing the other became unchecked.

Use the "Image Only (No Link)" Option, the code you get with the link back to your album from Picassa doesn't work on the forum so all you want is the url of the image to paste between the IMG tags. You'll have to create the link back yourself like I explained above if you want to. It's appreciated when it's done so others can access the full size picture. It's the url that is showing in your browsers address bar. Oh I see they give you a link to use in the "Link" box just above the "Embed Image" box so just use that.

Once you work through it a time or two it's easy, in my experience none of the photo sharing sites give you proper tags to use in a forum even though it's stated they do. I've always had to dig the picture url out of that code and copy it manually, then dig the link out and copy it manually then delete all the other stuff left over. I never used Webshots though, maybe they had the right code.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:22 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2010, 03:16 PM »

Yes, Webshots give you the correct link for the Forum at different sizes directly.

WARNING PC USERS: Don't click on the link below.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document