GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 11:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ozone's new life  (Read 837 times)
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« on: January 18, 2010, 04:44 PM »

Hi guys, here is the whole repairs I made on an Ozone I bought from Tom (tpatter) some weeks ago. Tom told me that the previous owner have had some..... hard times with the mylar center panel and made some ugly and poor repairs on it, so when I got it I straight decided to make an interely new restoration. The patches featured plenty of sand around them, so I immediately peeled them off, here are how the center panel appeared as soon as I removed the patches and cleaned it :

Here are the cardboard templates I made to cut the tedlar and dacron:

Then I decided to simulate the fibers of the mylar with bridleís core:

The tedlar patches in place:

Bridles were worn on the ULE fittings, so I decided to make a new one, keeping the black and red section:

Finally here is the Ozone ready to fly , flown just today and itís great!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 04:48 PM by Svolazzo » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 04:56 PM »

Paolo,

Wow - I'm glad that somebody showed this kite the love that it deserved!  Nice work - you could probably go into business with this sort of repair.  Most of the Ozones that I see on the field have some some sort of damage to the mylar.

Nice work.

I'm interested in how you tie the bridles - is there a certain technique that you use?

-Tom

6 kite tom
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 05:34 PM »

Thanks Tom, I was sure you would have been the first one to reply me  Smiley

In business.......uhmmmm......interesting thing, actually the repair took a whole afternoon to complete, and you know time is money  Grin

About bridles, I use the old ones as a template, I study where is better to begin to make the first knot, this isn't necessarily at one end of the bridle, but sometimes is better to begin with an internal knot. This varies bacause each bridle is different from another, sometimes I start in one way, then I notice that it's not fine and de-tie the knot restarting in another way. In the Ozone, for instance, I saw that it was better to start from the ULE knot. The hard thing is to calculate the length you loose with knots, my way is to leave some length in excess and try, if the final length is fine it's Ok, otherwise I retry till it go. Generally it's better that the final length is a little bit shorter then the original bridle just because you have to keep in mind that you have to tighten each knot adding a litttle bit of length again.....so try and retry is the way.
Hope this help.
Paolo.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 05:41 PM by Svolazzo » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change