GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 05:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Fearless for my winds?  (Read 2180 times)
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« on: January 16, 2010, 03:54 PM »

I live inland and my winds are a bit rough and usually around 8 to 12.  I enjoy flying in winds up to 15, but over that I typically give up. Anyway, I'm in a position to order a Fearless and am thinking the std.  Lots of good comments about the vented lately, however. I've got a vented QP but almost never fly it because the std does fine up to 15.  I've never flown one of Lam's kites and would appreciate any insight you can share.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Dave
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 03:56 PM by DaveH » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 09:19 PM »

Dave,

8 to 12 is perfect for the Standard.  The Vent also easily flys in that same wind.  With rough wind, you might be a bit better off with the Vent since it tends to smooth things out a bit more and the top end is higher.

I'd talk it over with Lam.  I think if you have a Light and Vent, then you really don't necessarily need the Standard, so it may depend on what you plan on getting in the future. 

-Tom

6 kite tom
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 11:27 PM »

The Fearless Vented, is not a full vent, but a mid vent.

The weakness of most vents is they don't like being on their back. The Fearless Vent is excellent on its back. Probably the second best in the Fearless line, with the SUL, being the best. The Fearless Vent sits flat on its back, with minimal side to side rocking.

The Fearless Vent, tricks just a beat slower then the rest of the line. I find it helpful, because its easier to see when to give inputs and play with them.

The only criticism I've got, but its true of all vents, is that the kite feels a little soft on the lines.

The Fearless Vent is a fun kite to fly. It is well mannered, no odd traits or characteristics. With it being a little slower, then the rest of the line, the Vent encourages exploration of tricks.

Jay
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 07:35 AM »

I've got to agree with Tom............if you're only going to get one Fearless, I would get the Vent (mid vent?)

Beware though, Dave Lips sealed

Fearlae multiply exponentially...........IOWs, you might start spinning off some other kites in order to obtain more...............ya' just can't seem to get enough of a good thing, if you know what I mean?

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 08:53 AM »

this  i think is a tough 1 if you enjoy flying the QP standard up to 15 then the FL standard would not be a bad choice .it sheds hi winds MUCH better than the QP and flies nicly in your stated wind range that being said from all i have heard the vent is very versatile. i am a little jaded though as once it starts blowing over even a smooth 12 i am gone.. vent or no vent unless i am really jonesing.. i wish i could be pondering a kite purchase rite now have fun KO ps maybe i am  Huh
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:57 AM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
DaveH
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 09:22 AM »

Very good points, gentlemen. Wink
I'm quite happy to suddenly find myself able to afford one of these.  Little windfalls are great Grin
While the mid vent is very compelling, the standard seems the right choice. As Tom and Ko said, it would fit my winds perfectly. And since I'm not sure if I'll stop at one Fearless, although Jim is speaking the truth Cheesy the std just seems the way to go.  And the wind here isn't all that rough, just typical inland wind.  I think if I could be sure there were more of these in my future, I'd start with the vent and add the lite.  But with just one in the forseeable future I'm going to go with the standard.  Nothing left but to call Lam!

Thanks guys!

Dave
DaveH
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 02:46 PM »

Well, I sent Lam an E mail to begin the process.  This is really gonna happen! Cool
DaveH
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 06:10 PM »

Spoke with Lam and he had some amazing ideas!  So kite is ordered.
All I can tell you is its a Fearless and none of you have this one.  Lam said its a secret kite and not to reveal anything.  All in good fun, for sure, but know this Fearless is something different.

So now the waiting Roll Eyes

The waiting is hard

very hard

Very, very hard
tpatter

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 06:39 PM »

Wow - my interest is piqued!

6 kite tom
johnfarl

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 08:32 PM »

Me too
ko

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 08:37 PM »

cant stand it!!!! calling lam NOW

have fun kurt
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 10:49 PM »

Wow - my interest is piqued!

El Ditto Lips sealed

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
RobB

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 12:32 AM »

Hahaha, Dave, you're going to be sorry.... I was coming home from flying this weekend wondering why I needed any other kites in my bag. Lam's kites just do everything so well. You shouldn't have to wait too long, Lam was very fast with the latest kite that I ordered from him, it took just a few weeks. Enjoy !

~Rob.

DaveH
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 05:39 AM »

Well this is a problem... I had a family emergency last night of a very serious nature.  So I had to cancel my order with Lam.
From what I heard of this kite it should be terrific!  I hope to get one soon.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 06:26 PM by DaveH » Logged
steve.hobart

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 02:02 AM »

sorry to hear that Dave. Hope all goes well for you and your family.

regards

steve
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change