GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 08:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: easy photographyfor dummies  (Read 2803 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: January 23, 2010, 07:43 PM »

hi all the camera i ended up with is great but unlike my real point and shoot the finepix allows for A LOT of stuff.. i use the word stuff because i really dont know didly i have a great time with composition but i would like to know more about the stuff. the local cam shop wants 300 which at the moment i cannot afford i have found some good stuff on the web but i feel if i could find some sort of book along with the 180 freakin page manual i might have some fun anyway looking fora book recomendation  thank you KO ps having a 15x zoom and viewfinder rocks

have fun kurt
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 08:12 PM »

Before you even go into a book, you can do a few tests.

1 Take a picture of a white sheet of paper. (look for dark spots on image)
2 Take a picture with the lens cap on. (look for light spots on image)
3 Take a picture of a rectangular grid at wide angle and at full magnification (look for curved lines and/or vignetting on image)
4 Take a picture at full magnification of a rectangular grid using one hand and using two hands. (look for motion blur in image) 15X is a LOT of magnification (usually set your camera on something)
5 See how good the full auto mode is at figuring out exposures
6 Try the strobe in total darkness to see if it has strong and weak areas

That's a start. Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 08:17 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ko

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 08:46 PM »

thanx john 1 ? and then i will follow direction when using the zoom for your test should i use the dual stabalization ? with and without ?? i did some shooting in a dark room last night and it was  amazing how much light the cam let in without the strobethe strobe seemed to work very well but i will try again and pay more attention to detail  i will let youknow ps guess i better get my picaso working ---right now though george clooney in o brother where art thow is on if you have not seen this movis DO

have fun kurt
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 09:02 PM »

Try shots with stabilization on and off, (both hand held) at full magnification.

Saw the movie, loved it.

I still post all my photos to Webshots and some of the photos to Picasa.

ko

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 09:28 PM »

i will download the results on the dreaded W.S. tomorrow  good night

have fun kurt
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 11:00 PM »

There are always online resources, a quick search brought up this site sponsored by Sony that appears to have some very good online tutorials

Sony Backstage
  • Learn to evaluate light and use it to your photographic advantage
  • Get the perspective you want by choosing an appropriate focal length
  • Gain control over depth of field
  • Take a sharply focused photo

Looks to be free for anyone, doesn't even require a registered Sony camera. The user reviews were very complimentary, and those 4 subjects give you a very good start on understanding the controls you now have and how to use them artistically to your advantage. With these & your manual to see how to change those settings that they'll be discussing on your Fuji you'll have a good basic grasp of techniques.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ko

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 03:09 PM »

hi all here is as far as i got with the test i left everything to auto --could not figure out the rectangle thing and i screwed up on the flash test, but did  with and without shots this pic sends you to webshots if you are worriied dont go                                                              thanx KO ps the sand shots were taken from 1 spot using the zoom the dog was shot with macro but on auto pss i did edit 1 pic it is tagged
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 03:20 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 04:56 PM »

The photos look fine. For the grid, just draw some perpendicular lines using a Sharpie and a yardstick.

Then take photos of the grid at max wide angle and max zoom. You want the grid to fill the photo in both cases.

Take pictures of the grid at full zoom in both hand held and tripod to see how effective your stabilization is.

It's harder to tell what the camera is capable of when you take "normal" pictures.

Looks like you're doing fine regardless.  Smiley

ko

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 06:08 PM »

thanx john i am having a blast doing it!  i will try the grid manana

have fun kurt
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 09:36 PM »

"Welcome to the morguefile classroom. Do you want to learn the basics of photography or improve certain camera skills? Do you wish to contribute to a growing knowledge base for photo enthusiast. With the morguefile photography classroom you can begin to take better photos of any subject and get more enjoyment from your photography."

http://www.morguefile.com/docs/Classroom

Fdeli
ko

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 09:44 PM »

thank you i bookmarked that 1   i gotta get out to vegas and fly with u guy's and take a few pics  i just found the scene button it has 13 presets i didnt know about to play with !!!!!

have fun kurt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change