GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 05:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skate vs Aerobe  (Read 6257 times)
Carlton
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 24, 2010, 07:06 AM »

So the Skate, IMHO, is a better looking kite.  But does it have any flying advantages over the Aerobe?  How do they compare, outdoor low/no wind gliding wise, is the Skate worth being twice as much?

So the wife asks, "Why learn a half axle if you can already do a full axle?"
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 07:19 AM »

Check out the above link for my thoughts on these kites....

Simply put they are two different kites.....
one is a mass produced and one is a craft kite....

the Aerobe is designed to fly in low low winds and into higher winds with the tail....
the skate is designed for no winds into low winds...and it does that superbly....

the skate is more of a gliding kite than the aerobe which is more of a flip flop yank the line kite....

is the Aerobe worth its full price? my opinion is no.....i am extremely glad that i got in on the gwtw deal with a discounted price and free shipping when i did....
is the skate worth its price? yes, but it is a different sort of flying kite than the aerobe is....it is a flight that not as many people might enjoy....

my thoughts....not GWTW or anyone else's.....

Carlton where are you located? maybe a local person has them both to check out for you!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Carlton

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 07:17 PM »

Thanks for the info.  It's ironic that the cheaper one isn't worth the money, but the more expensive on is....aint' that the way it goes sometimes   Sad 
I live in Hong Kong.  Needless to say, nobody has them here.  There is a kind of Chinese version along the same lines, but I haven't ever seen one.   

kiten00b
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 07:41 PM »

I've got a Skate & 2 Aerobes.
I think the Aerobe value is very good- you get a nice tail and decent line with it.
The Skate is made of more expensive material and has very good workmanship, but the Aerobe is good value for the money in my opinion.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 09:10 PM »

The Aerobe is not worth $60.00?

So what is it worth?
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 09:53 PM »

to me the aerobe is a tremendous value at $60. we've been having plenty of fun with it out here in vegas on friday nights when the wind won't let us fly anything else. most of us have flown it and i can't recall anyone disliking it. at least here, it's a hit. it's value really shines when every other kite you have set up is on the ground waiting for some wind and the aerobe is gliding, turning, swooping, diving, and climbing.

i don't have enough time on the skate to comment.

Fdeli
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 10:44 PM »

I think that when most folks go to the beach and buy a single line that they want to have some fun with, the Aerobe is just what they are looking for.

As far as I can tell, it has only one major flaw and that is its assembly - it just too difficult to put it together due to tension in inserting the spars.  Fix this, and its a total winner that's alot more fun that a typical single line kite.

Its the only kite that that has held my 7 year old daughters interest.

I know nothing about the Skate and have never flown one, but I'm sure its far better made and a much better flyer based on Focus reputation.

6 kite tom
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 11:41 PM »

I think the Aerobe is definitely worth sixty bucks.................Sure it's not a 61/49, (I'm expecting ours to show up tomorrow) but for a very small sum of money, a lot of fun can be had in a myriad of wind conditions and one doesn't have to worry about nose planting it, or even a lot worse. Embarrassed

Just get a hold of Steve and get another one Wink

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
thief

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 04:18 AM »

yes in my thinking the price on the aerobe is a bit high.....
the assembly is a pita..there is a big chunky plastic nose piece that can break...IMO it does not fly phenomenally...it is a great kite for kids to run around with and beat into the ground....

remember when flying wings brought out their high end pricier sport kites??? guys were not happy with the price of those either!

I am just glad that I got a deal on the one that I have. and it does have a permanent place in my car to be able to fly at any time....I would just expect to see a 48$ tag on it but there are shops selling it for more (and that is great for them).....

not panning the aerobe. just it's price.

Carlton

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 08:29 AM »

Ok, so thanks for more input.  Aerobe's stock is rising.  But does it glide as well, or at least almost as well as the Skate?

thief

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 08:33 AM »

the aerobe does not glide like the skate......the skate is tuned by weight to achieve the glide you like with coins in the nose....
someone had mentioned putting weight on a aerobe - i am not certain if anyone ever tried that or not.....

kiten00b
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 11:06 AM »

There's an Aerobe video on our host's site.

It's not the same as a Skate, but it does glide and is fun to fly in light breezes or something for the kids to run around with. I get lots of positive comments about the Aerobes with tails.
Fortflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 12:39 PM »

Just so you guys know, The Aerobe has gone under a name change recently due to its similar spelling to another product.

Personally I wouldn't have changed it but you will see it's new name soon.

As far as the pricing goes I can't complain I got all mine for free Smiley

Between it and the skate they are 2 totally different animals IMHO my skate it the indoor go to glider along with a glider made by Daryl Yeh which in itself is a slow motion hovering amazement.

Outdoors the (Kite formally known as Aerobe) is really great it fly's when not much else will and its wind range makes it a always out unless its really honkin.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 01:24 PM »

Not crazy about it but the Aerobe has a new name.

Price remains the same ... $60 with Free Shipping (to US addresses

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 01:29 PM »

FYI ... I will be putting up info this evening on Flying Wings new (US) offerings for 2010.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum