GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 06:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Talon with 2.23m Wing span. No contest....  (Read 1290 times)
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: January 26, 2010, 08:58 PM »

Just a not to short recount of a flying session I had on the weekend.

I was booked to shoot some band/music work at a big music festival located on a property in central Victoria, it's a 4 day 'camping' style event with about 10,000+ revelers. Back in the day I would have been more than excited to attend, but I'm old now  Wink and like my sleep way to much. So the idea of throwing a few kites in the 'essentials' pile was a no brainer, a very good reason to get away from the madness of a music festival.

I'd never been to this particular event site and on arrival I was confronted with a long valley with quite step and tall hills, and the festival was located at the head of it, not an ideal kite flying environment  Sad Weather wise, on arrival the wind was up around 40-80 Km/h, (not making setting a tent up much fun Wink)

The next day was a write off wind wise also, although I did get one up for about 30mins (The Aerobe/Wala)

But Sunday morning was the pick of the days and I got to put the Talon up for a glorious 40+ minutes of flying, Not only did the wind stay reasonably steady for that time but I was not making many mistakes for a change, there was definitely some good flow going on, I think I only had to walk about 3 times  Smiley

Well that's all well and good, so I went to a festival in the country and flew a kite, sooooo whats the wingspan bit about?

About 30 mins in I noticed a very small speck in the sky above my kite (I must say I've noticed a lot of high flying migratory bird flight since getting into this kite flying caper) so small that I couldn't have guaranteed it was a bird, but over the next couple of mins it became clearer and clearer, becoming about 5m above my kite clearer Huh.

There, circling above my Talon was a Wedge Tailed Eagle, she appeared to be a smidgen bigger than my Talon (and by guesstimate, a s#!t load heavier) and I don't need to mention, has real talons. Now at this time sure I could have parked it, but I was transfixed at the sight of her, and also, maybe just a little curious...  Cool

We ended up flying together for about 3 minutes, just sort of big looping around, every now and then I'd put a sharp square or a little cascade in, just to keep her guessing a little Wink.

Well after a little while she must have decided that we were in the 'curious, but not worth pursuing' category and not worth giving the famous 'Let me show you how my talons are tougher than your Talon', and gave a leisurely bank on the wind, caught a thermal and was off out and of sight in a flash.

So as I watch her soar off into the distance I figure it's not going to get much better than that and decide to call it a day, so I turn the kite for a dive from the top of the window and trust my luck one more time.... 'Flic flic step' and a nice little snap stall landing to punctuate the experience....

So I turned around and there along the fence line I saw about 5000 people who had be watching and then they burst into a chant....NO, WAIT!!! that's not how it went, I was having a 'another famous Australian kiteflyer' moment.

Actually given that there were 10000+ people there, I bet less than 4 actually saw it... But given I was one of them I'll count myself lucky...

Anyway enough rambling....

Regards,

W 'living the dream' D

WinterDaze AoF
Ace
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 09:35 PM »

Ahh.... the Music festival scene. I doubt in their state of mind (the revelers that is) they would have been able to tell the difference between the two Wink

The apreciation of such events is only realised by us kite tragics  Tongue
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 01:31 AM by Ace » Logged

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:00 PM »

this is a great story. proof, magic moments still exist.

Fdeli
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 10:47 PM »

Most Cool Shannon..............MOSTCOOL Cool

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
anOldMan
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 11:52 PM »

What a great time tohave one of those little helmet Camcorders.

Amemory to last a life time.  Smiley

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 03:40 PM »

Yes Jim it was very cool, and I don't think this guy ' Cool ' was alone at the festival, might have even been the reason that no one else got out of there 'comfy chair' to come over and watch Wink

Ace, I was going to mention the 'bats' to them....

(Raoul Duke: [narrating] No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough.)

But these hippy lefto's, I owe them nothing.

Now a helmet cam, AOM I can see the pluses, but... The general 'coolness' factor of freestyle is shaky as it is, I'm not sure the sport could take the look of  me walking around like something out of 'Honey I shrunk the Kids'... but I could be wrong...

And Fidelio, magic is probably what those 4 who saw it thought it was, and the couple of people who they might tell the story to, well I bet they're asking what it was they'd taken... and if there was any left Wink

WD

WinterDaze AoF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document