GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 11:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad  (Read 10757 times)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 12:50 PM »

Betcha in a year the base model will be $299.

Although, right now, I'd spend $500 bucks on one of these before I'd buy a Windows netbook

I do probably 75% of my home computing on the iPhone now. It would be way better on the 'Pad. I'd have no need for the 3G since I have the iPhone. The Pad would live on the coffee table.

I'll get one next Christmas.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 12:56 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 03:03 PM »

http://i.gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad

Cheesy

Not capable of running Flash on the web? that rules out 95% of websites.

Can't multitask? Only one app at a time, one browser at a time? Don't know about you but I have 3 browsers open right now, my email program, Paint Shop Pro, M$ Word & Adobe reader on a Windows Netbook.

Plus this has a camera, an HDMI port, an RGB/VGA port, 3 USB ports, includes an internal microphone plus a microphone & headphone jack, along with a multi card reader, Wireless b/g and wired 10/100 networking (could've gotten an internal Verizon for a few dollars more), a PCMCIA slot, a 250 gig hard drive & 2 gig of RAM. Nine hours run time on the battery (and it does). All for $399. No touch screen though  Sad  and it's debatable which one is cuter, mine looks like the new Sky Shark P2X's though.

Guess I'm still waiting ... for now I think I made the right choice for an ultra portable

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 03:17 PM »

Yup, there are several deal breakers (not that I am actually in the market).

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Moe

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 03:29 PM »

I'm kind of of mixed minds about it.  It sounds pretty cool, but it sort of sits in a lot of tech camps, and *may* be vulnerable in each.

It's a big threat to Kindle.  First, it's great to see competition there, since I'd hate to see Amazon become the default monopoly on publishing in the future.  But are you looking at $260 vs. $500, or $260 vs. $830?  That's (potentially) a pretty steep difference there.  Kindle's a uni-tasker; this is a multi-tasker.  But who provides the better service?  Is the Kindle's e-ink easier to read than Apple's glossy screen (is that even an issue anymore, or is that just a problem with older users?)?  Which one makes the better "book"?  If users feel Kindle does what it does, better than Apple, it should survive.  Proably the biggest knock against the Kindle there, is that it's not in a lot of stores, so people won't be able to see/compare easily; they'll get to see how slick and flashy the iPad is, and they'll buy it.  My guess is, you'll see a price cut AND a major retail push for the Kindle.

It'll also be interesting to see what it does for their product development.  The e-ink technology is kind of at the limits.  They can't really do colour.  Resolution isn't much of a factor.  So where do they go to become more competitive?

But it's also in the netbook camp.  Only more portable.  The added portability is great, and a big plus.  But again, you're looking at a $500 - $830 iPad vs. a $250 - $400 netbook.  And the netbook *probably* wins on specs.  Is the Apple-ness of it enough to overcome that?  All money aside, I'd probably go with the iPad, since it sounds like it it will have more utility than a netbook... but how often is "all money aside"?  Wink  Sure, it's way cheaper than a Macbook, but it still suffers from "Apple pricing", about double the competition, and that may hold them back in the same way it's held Macintosh from really becoming competitive/widely used (compared to Windows).

I can actually see it being more of a threat to laptops.  Why get a laptop for your home/office network when this is more portable, with decent utility.  Run it off your tower's WiFi network as a secondary computer.  Assuming it's rugged enough to compare, and powerful enough to use the necessary software.  But then, storage may be an issue, if you need to carry a lot of content (rather than just accessing it on your network).  And screen size; it may have a better battery, and can be used in new/different ways, but a 10" screen is pretty tiny compared to a 15/16/17" laptop.

Like I said, very cool, very interesting, great potential and I'd love to get one... but I don't know that it's guaranteed to succeed.

The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear error, but I have no fear
'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 03:41 PM »

I'll agree the apps using multi-touch look pretty cool, but I tend to turn off all the eye candy on my PC's, roll down menu's, flipping pages, I just don't care much for that stuff.

I was fine with C: _

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 04:25 PM »

Pretty exciting stuff - and we've got the state of the union address coming up to boot!  Smiley

6 kite tom
kiten00b
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 05:25 PM »

a few concerns about the first generation iPad
fworley
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 08:05 PM »

Ya think Gizmodo hated it ? Just wait till you read this from Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/editorial-engadget-on-the-ipad/

It sucks ... plain and simple, its a fugging Newton.

Next generation might well improve upon it - enabling multi-tasking, flash support, a superior screen technology (just try reading a book on a regular LCD display), wide screen movies, HDMI out, a camera, the ability to video conference, USB connectivity etc, etc.

Some aspects are just embarrassing here - one app at a time ? Really ? I can't listen to music whilst surfing the web ? I can't instant message and check email ? What decade are we in again ? No flash support ? Really ? So rather than getting a superior web browsing environment I'm actually only getting a half assed one ... which doesn't support full content. I can't believe they'd rush such an unfinished product to market. Early adopters are going to get royally screwed here once again. If you *must* have one - you really should wait ... half a year ? And get MkII, better screen, more memory, improved apps and system software and a camera perhaps for the same dough.

They'll be a Google Chrome / Android based alternative this year - I've not doubt it will be immeasurably more compelling.

-Frazer
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:13 PM by fworley » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 08:30 PM »

I'm sitting on the sofa web surfing on the iPhone. In the last half hour I've been to all the usual sites and a few less usual. Right now, with all it's first generation limitations the iPad would be excelent for this daily activity. I'd use it even more than I currently use the iPhone. In other words, I'll have to sit down at the computer less often.

So for me, it fits my needs. The only real functionality issue is the lack of Flash support.  Since I'm already a heavy iPhone user I know how much (or how little) I miss. I think it's an acceptable (but stupid) configuration on a smartphone but really should get resolved for bigger browsers.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 08:32 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 09:01 PM »

Too funny that they named it the "iPad" and Steve Jobs was saying how much more intimate it was than a notebook.

Here is an old MadTV skit from several years ago about an "iPad".

Mad Tv - IPad

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 09:43 PM »

Classic!

I love the tag line "please don't make us explain how it works"

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Allen, AKA kitehead
EnergonCube

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 06:19 AM »

Yep. Not having Flash sucks big time and I won't buy it for that simple fact. I'm a big Apple fan (have been for many years), but saying that the iPad is the "premiere way to experience the web" is an outright lie.  Angry No Flash mean 1/3 of the sites I visit and use would be useless.

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 08:02 AM »

I don't see it obsoleting the kindle without eInk.

The whole idea is to not have to read off a backlit screen.

Certainly a lot cheaper than expected.
fworley
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 08:04 AM »

I don't see it obsoleting the kindle without eInk.

The whole idea is to not have to read off a backlit screen.

Certainly a lot cheaper than expected.

But its not ... not really. $499 is for the crappy entry model. 3G is another $130 on top of that.

And let us not forget the $30 a month for the data plan (which I believe can't be shared with your iPhone)

-Frazer
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 08:05 AM »

Perhaps I should have specified a lot cheaper than I was expecting..

I was expecting just the hardware to be $1000.00 - $1500.00..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document