GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 07:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad  (Read 11394 times)
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2010, 04:58 PM »

I came here to post this exact image Smiley

It sums up how I feel, though.  This thing is an iPod Touch that's too big to put in your pocket.  As cool an idea as the app store is, I'd rather be able to load anything I want on the iPad, not just the apps that Apple approves.

This post was made on a MacBook Pro
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2010, 07:56 PM »

I'm anxiously awaiting John W's take on this.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Jeff

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2010, 08:51 AM »

I'm in the market for a portable computer, so I was waiting on this product to see what it offered. Now I can go back to netbook shopping. The iPad is simply not a computer. Not in the sense that I know and want. It's a different class of device. It's one that has extremely targeted uses that it does well, but are too limited for me. I don't need a big iPod. I have an iPod touch.

Doesn't do Flash, doesn't have any common i/o ports. Can't run programs that I want and need. If I wanted a slick and shiny eBook reader and web browser, sure, I'd be all over it. But I want a more versatile tool at that size and cost.

(When pricing these things out, be aware that if you want GPS, you have to get the 3G enabled model, BTW)

Slickness and coolness factor: 10
Versatility and usefulness (for me): 2
Value at the price: 3

If someone wants to give me one, I'll be happy to play with it. It would be nice to have a big browser I could use on the couch. But it's nowhere near being close to separating me from the amount of money they want.

Now, back to shopping for a proper netbook,,,

and
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2010, 01:40 PM »

**Jeff** I got the Toshiba T115-S1100 and am pleased so far, a giant step above a netbook for just a few dollars more, got mine for $400. The Intel Atoms with Intel graphics chip don't do flash well either if your research it under "Net Top", they don't say it in netbook reviews. Win7 starter is a little over crippled for my tastes too. This has a Celeron Processor and Win7 Premium and a better graphics chip (still the embeded intel but suitable) The screen is 1.4" + bigger then the netbooks but the form factor is still tiny. It fits, barely, in a netbook case. And the trackpad is bigger then just two fingers tall & 3 wide with the buttons under it, a big issue for me on most netbooks, side buttons make any graphics work impossible.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 01:49 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2010, 08:42 AM »

here is a chart that compares a handful of e-readers to the ipad...interesting to see...
http://paidcontent.org/table/e-reader-comparison-chart/

i got an email from apple on saturday that is pushing customized ipods for valentines days....i and i noticed that apple is trying to now coin and apply the phrase "pocket computer" for the itouch and most likely then the ipad as well........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
kiten00b
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2010, 08:51 AM »

I guess you're supposed to wear JNCOS to use the iPad as a "pocket computer".  Roll Eyes
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2010, 03:16 PM »

Who had the graphic comparison up of the ipad and the toshiba netbook?
I'd really like to see that again.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2010, 06:52 PM »

I had done a text of the features on my Toshiba Ultra Portable, it's well above a netbook spec wise for only $50-70 more then their netbook, link to the toshiba T115-S1100 just above. Still not everything I would like. I would really like a similarly featured tablet, ideally a full power tablet, there are things close but rather expensive. Toshiba (I think) does a Laptop/Tablet convertable iincorporating a Wacom pressure sensitive touch screen for graphics use, I would love to have that, just gotta justify $1500-$1800.

John Welden

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2010, 04:51 PM »

I got caught up in the hype and was expecting more from the iPad.  Now that I've come back to earth, I think it's probably going to be a successful product. I'll have to try one out before I have a strong opinion on it. If I don't like it, I won't buy one, it's not a big deal.

I don't think multitasking is as important on mobile devices.  99% of the time I'm fine with how the iPhone works.  I figure the iPad will be about the same experience.  I can't use Pandora while I type an email, I'll live. I deeply believe in the KISS principle and greatly respect Apple for using it.  I'll take simplicity and elegance over feature gloat any day.

I like the idea of Apple trying to kill Flash.  You want your website to work on our zillion devices? Better not use flash.  It's a crap product that could have been great if Adobe didn't suck. 

I think it's important to take a step back and realize how insanely great the computer technology we have is.  Think about how ridiculous it sounds to complain that your phone only has a 2 mega pixel camera instead of a 4 mega pixel.  I CANT EVEN MULTI TAST ON MY iPHONE!!!!!! OH dear lord, what am I going to do!  An hour ago I was sitting on the beach sending my friend a MMS picture from my damn phone.  I'm in the middle of the freaking Pacific ocean! (Kauai)  They have 3G out here?!?!  Internet?! You've got to be out of your mind to not appreciate how amazing this technology is.  Apple and others make these incredible products, sell them for relatively cheap and we have the balls to complain?

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2010, 07:59 PM »

I like the idea of Apple trying to kill Flash.  You want your website to work on our zillion devices? Better not use flash.  It's a crap product that could have been great if Adobe didn't suck. 

I was more then pleased to hear Job's Dis' Flash, I've been doing it for years but thought I was the only one. More power to Apple if they hasten it's demise. Now if we could get the government to dump Acrobat so the rest of us could too.

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2010, 04:26 PM »

Amen to the demise of Flash (and Acrobat).  Hopefully with the advent of HTML we will see the end of the need for all the various plug-in's we've become accustomed (numb) to.

I can see a use for the iPad and if I had a boat load of money I would be first in line to get one ... of course if I had a boat load of money I'd also be driving a 911 and living in Kamuela ... but no chance of that ever happening.

BTW ... here's the property I have my eye on http://www.horseclicks.com/properties/t59zly/

What say we start a little charity drive to make Chris' and my dreams come true  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:34 PM by Steve » Logged

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
fworley
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2010, 04:47 PM »

I don't think multitasking is as important on mobile devices.  99% of the time I'm fine with how the iPhone works.  I figure the iPad will be about the same experience.  I can't use Pandora while I type an email, I'll live. I deeply believe in the KISS principle and greatly respect Apple for using it.  I'll take simplicity and elegance over feature gloat any day.

Perhaps not - but I don't think its unreasonable to expect to be able to listen to music whilst surfing. Or have your iPad notify you of incoming mail etc.

Future generations *will* do this - because - the underlying-and-much-vaunted-for-no-apparent-reason-processor is capable of this.

Its only the iPhone v3.2 OS layer which prevents multi-tasking - I wonder if v4.0 will remove this restriction ?

Well ... even if Flash were to die out ... its going to take several years for that to happen. So users will be seeing those little blue boxes where the Flash content should be for a long time to come yet.

Whats more - Job's stance is both petty and hypocritical. This from the protectionist leader of the company who aggressively tie people into their hardware, software and purchased media. If he really believed in open standards and such - surely he'd do something to support and encourage them ?

I think it's important to take a step back and realize how insanely great the computer technology we have is.  Think about how ridiculous it sounds to complain that your phone only has a 2 mega pixel camera instead of a 4 mega pixel.  I CANT EVEN MULTI TAST ON MY iPHONE!!!!!! OH dear lord, what am I going to do!  An hour ago I was sitting on the beach sending my friend a MMS picture from my damn phone.  I'm in the middle of the freaking Pacific ocean! (Kauai)  They have 3G out here?!?!  Internet?! You've got to be out of your mind to not appreciate how amazing this technology is.  Apple and others make these incredible products, sell them for relatively cheap and we have the balls to complain?

But you are absolutely right here ... the power of these devices is getting quite ridiculous. Next gen processors are dual then quad core. Think about that, quad core processors in your cellphone. You need this sort of horsepower why ?

And again, for the record, I'm no Apple hater ... we uses Mac's ... if the iPad had been a more compelling device I might have been tempted. I might well be for generation 2 or 3 when they address some of the issues which concern me.

-Frazer
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2010, 09:14 PM »

You can listening to music and surf at the same time, just like the iPhone and touch.  You also get notifications from email, SMS messages, rss, etc whatever you are doing.  Apple has already worked this out with the iPhone.

6 kite tom
fworley
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2010, 04:33 AM »

You can listening to music and surf at the same time, just like the iPhone and touch.  You also get notifications from email, SMS messages, rss, etc whatever you are doing.  Apple has already worked this out with the iPhone.

My bad - I should have been more specific .. from here: http://venturebeat.com/2010/01/28/5-reasons-not-to-buy-an-ipad/

You can only one run non-Apple application at a time. iPad runs the iPhone operating system, not Mac OS X. The official documentation for software developers states clearly that there’s no “multitasking” — only one non-Apple-built-in application can run at a time on the iPad. Presuming it works like a current iPhone or iPod Touch, you can listen to iTunes and read a book at the same time, but you can’t listen to Pandora and read a book at the same time. If you make a Skype call, you can’t punch up another app during the conversation. Twitterholics will find themselves hopping back and forth awkwardly between apps. In short, iPad is not a MacBook replacement. If you’re a content creator, you’ll be stumped."

because ... not everbody uses iTunes as their soul (pun intended) music source shocker  Huh

-Frazer
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 07:12 AM by fworley » Logged
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2010, 09:30 AM »

Is it just me, or when looking at the pictures of Steve Jobs holding the iPad does anyone else think it makes Jobs look like a Hobbit holding an iPhone?  Makes me laugh every time.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change