GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 03:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPad  (Read 11405 times)
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2010, 10:21 AM »

A hobbit that's just been to Mt Doom, maybe.

Allen, AKA kitehead
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2010, 11:51 AM »

but you canít listen to Pandora and read a book at the same time. If you make a Skype call, you canít punch up another app during the conversation. Twitterholics will find themselves hopping back and forth awkwardly between apps. In short, iPad is not a MacBook replacement. If youíre a content creator, youíll be stumped.[/i]"

because ... not everbody uses iTunes as their soul (pun intended) music source shocker  Huh
-Frazer

Their strategy of not designing for the fringe seems to really be hurting them.  They only made record profits last quarter.  This is the same sort of complaint that everyone was screaming about when the iPhone came out.  NO REMOVABLE BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH DEAR LORD!  Apple figured out that .01% of users change out batteries.  Their laptops don't even have removable batteries anymore.  The rest of the industry will follow as usual.
fworley
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2010, 02:54 PM »

Their strategy of not designing for the fringe seems to really be hurting them .... Their laptops don't even have removable batteries anymore.  The rest of the industry will follow as usual.

And their computer represent what percentage of total sales ? Are they even in double figures ? Is that not the fringe ?

As for the iPhone ... well ... lets see the market appears to have largely caught up ... then again Steve might unveil something very clever with the next (4.0) update. Then again ... he might it might just be another (damp squib of an) iPad type announcement.

The iPhone is a great product ... there is no denying it ... it was a game changer ... but the iPad is no such a product - not in its current incarnation / revision at least. But like I said, I have no doubt subsequent versions will be a good deal more compelling - and I do look forward to those.

-Frazer
John Welden

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2010, 04:23 PM »

And their computer represent what percentage of total sales ? Are they even in double figures ? Is that not the fringe ?

Good point, but I guess I could still argue that they'd be marketing to the fringe of the fringe. No money there. Same thing with ultra tricked out sport kites and a million other products.

As for the iPhone ... well ... lets see the market appears to have largely caught up ... then again Steve might unveil something very clever with the next (4.0) update. Then again ... he might it might just be another (damp squib of an) iPad type announcement.

Seems to me that the other guys still have a long while to catch up. Not in features but in user interface.  Plus Apple has iTunes and the app store.  Hard to beat those and they are a big deal for users.  Apple is king of UI.  The user experience is unmatched in my opinion, it's f'ing brilliant. A joy to use.

I've got most of what I want with iPhone 3.0.   What are they really going to do with 4.0 that's going to make my experience so much better?  Video conferencing? Meh, cool but won't use it. Multitasking, meh, not really a big deal for my phone.   Cloud server that stores all my data?  Could be cool but I don't even use iTunes right now.   I wouldn't mind a better camera and longer battery.  I'd love faster and more reliable internet but that's ATT. 

I can't remember the last time Apple had a big flop on a major product.  I doubt they're going to strike out with the iPad. It's hard to imagine Apple being that dumb these days.  At a minimum, the user is going to have an iPhone experience on a 10 inch screen that weight 1.5lbs and is .5 inches thick. Hard to go wrong with that recipe.

(Apple TV is pretty lame and even Apple acknowledges that) (The mighty mouse sucked sh*t) (The magic mouse sucks sh*t in my opinion)   Apple has a problem making mice.
fworley
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2010, 04:31 PM »

I'd love faster and more reliable internet but that's ATT. 

Rumors persist that a Verizon version will be available this year. I do believe AT&T's exclusivity is up in '10.

I can't remember the last time Apple had a big flop on a major product. 

Well - I think I could argue Apple TV is pretty much a flop.

I doubt they're going to strike out with the iPad. It's hard to imagine Apple being that dumb these days.  At a minimum, the user is going to have an iPhone experience on a 10 inch screen that weight 1.5lbs and is .5 inches thick. Hard to go wrong with that recipe.

I think its a couple of things - first to market with a cheapish tablet format

And "Field Of Dreams" esque "build it and they will come"

And he could well be right ... but I don't think v1.0 will be an outstanding success.

And FWIW I like my Apple mouse - its not the latest trick one - but the previous version - I sure prefer to what I
had to use in the office on my Windows / Linux setup.

-Frazer
John Welden

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2010, 06:24 PM »

The mighty mouse that has the ball scroll deal bob, doesn't work after a while.  I think I had 3 of them.  A lot of complaints out there on that mouse.  I like the function of the mouse, it just doesn't last.

I'm shocked that they're allowing you to use the iPhone apps you've already bought on the iPad without paying again.  Apple is supposed to take as much of my money as possible, aren't they?

It will be interesting to see the iPad drop in price in the next few years. $300 would be hard to resist for a lot of people.  Toss one on your kitchen counter, toss one on your coffee table, I could see myself doing that.  I'd love if all the magazines I subscribe to were digital.

Android will have to be insanely great for me to switch over.  I'm onboard with Apple until something way better comes along.  Regardless of brand, think where we will be in only five years.  It's going to be great.

I want an implant in my brain so I just have to think about what I want to do and it will show up in my internal vision/hearing.   Tongue
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2010, 07:26 PM »

Gotta agree on Apple's mice - they are just not up to the rest of their products in usability.

The mighty mouse is still my favorite, but the ball does get stuck when dirt gets in there.  I hold the mouse upside down and quickly spin the ball this way and that; it clears it out for another few weeks.  Despite this, its still the best mouse that I've ever used.

I bought the new magic mouse hoping it would solve all my issues, but its just not as ergonomic as the previous one.  Its works great and looks cool, but I think it is too flat.  Also, scrolling requires too much movement of the fingers - for extended work/scrolling, the previous mouse works much better.

What they really need to come out with is a trackpad mouse that works like the trackpad on the Mac Pros - I love everything about how that works, especially the various swipes.  I imagine Logitech or someone makes something, but I haven't checked into it.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 07:39 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2010, 08:38 AM »

(The mighty mouse sucked sh*t) (The magic mouse sucks sh*t in my opinion)   Apple has a problem making mice.

Maybe that's why/because they are so hot on touch technology.  Smiley

(the trackpad on my Macbook Pro is awesome, but I use a three year old Microsoft Intellimouse and a Dell keyboard on the desk. The recent Apple keyboards are pretty hard to take, too)

Allen, AKA kitehead
Jeff

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2010, 10:08 AM »

What they really need to come out with is a trackpad mouse that works like the trackpad on the Mac Pros - I love everything about how that works, especially the various swipes.  I imagine Logitech or someone makes something, but I haven't checked into it.

Sure, use an iPhone or touch as a trackpad for any PC...

http://blog.logitech.com/2010/01/29/new-logitech-touch-mouse-turns-your-iphone-or-ipod-touch-into-a-wireless-trackpad-and-keyboard/

and
Jeff

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2010, 10:23 AM »

Their strategy of not designing for the fringe seems to really be hurting them.  They only made record profits last quarter.  This is the same sort of complaint that everyone was screaming about when the iPhone came out.  NO REMOVABLE BATTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH DEAR LORD!  Apple figured out that .01% of users change out batteries.  Their laptops don't even have removable batteries anymore.  The rest of the industry will follow as usual.
I don't believe that at all. Sure, some design or interface features will be followed, but nobody is following the no removable battery angle after all this time. I LOVE having 2 batteries for my Droid. I can drain the heck out of the battery without thinking about it since I can swap in a new charged one and easily make it through a day of heavy use.

As far as the iPad goes, people just need to remember that it's not a computer. If you need a computer, get something else. If you want a reader device, browser, game playing device, portable video player, by all means get an iPad. It will be good at what it is designed for. People will come up with some cool and fun ways to use it.

It's at an interesting price point. Seems $499 would be good enough to spur a lot of early adoption. But if I were getting one (which I'm not) I'd want GPS in it, and that's an extra $130 right there.

I think that we may see a price drop after the initial release, as we did with the original iPhone. And beyond that, I expect that version 2 will incorporate something that users find lacking in version 1, whatever that might be.

I think it's generally a neat idea that's just a bit ahead of it's time, and I'll thank the early adopters to help iron out the kinks before I get on board someday, if I ever do. It's not worth the investment to me at this time.

And I say all this as an Apple shareholder, iPod touch owner, and Android phone owner. I have no religious zealotry for either side of the Apple wars, I just decide what things fit into the way I do things. There's lots I like about the way Apple does things, and lots that I can't stand. It's complicated.  Undecided

and
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2010, 01:25 PM »

language nsfw...
Matt Damon's iPad

http://blogwillhunting.com/ipad

he he he he he he

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
kiten00b
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2010, 03:19 PM »

AT&T Just Killed Unlimited Wireless Data.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2010, 04:35 PM »

This new pricing from AT&T will make it more likely that I will get an iPad.  If you don't use the 3G service much (less than 250MB/month) then its only $15/month.

I am almost always on/near wifi and only want/need occasional 3G access which will for sure be less than 250MB per month.  The only reason I don't have an iPhone is that there is no  way I am paying $100/month in order to be able to use it - Hell, I don't even like talking on the phone.  Using Skype on the iPad with wifi and this $15 plan, I can make all the calls I need to for only $15/month.  Thats a pretty good deal if it works for you.

6 kite tom
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #73 on: June 04, 2010, 06:16 AM »

http://www.notionink.in/adamoverview.php
now that is tasty!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change