GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 11:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wind Speed and Tricks  (Read 4142 times)
chrispie
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 14, 2010, 01:02 AM »

Hi all...

What is the max wind speed that you can still trick? I find it totally impossible for me to do anything once it hits around 15mph or so... only can do some half axels at the edge of the window thats all....

Or am i missing something? other tricks seems to be harder in high wind as the kite is not stable but tend to be blown towards centre all the time..

any tips form the experts?

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 01:25 AM »

I am not an expert, but will say that your overall impression is correct.

The higher the wind speed, the more difficult to do tricks. There is no number associated with a person's ability to trick.

The more you are willing to

1 run downwind with the kite
2 do tricks at the edge of the window
3 use some form of energy absorbing device on the kite (wind brakes, loose trailing edge, vents, etc)

the higher a wind speed you will be able to trick in.

Whether the tricks are rewarding for you to do when the wind picks up is a matter of personal preference.

When the wind picks up over 15 mph, both zippy8 and myself just like to put a 100 ft long, 7" diameter tube tail on the kite and paint pretty figures in the sky.  Smiley

« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 01:28 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 02:52 AM »

I'm in the hack category as a flier.

It took me awhile to become comfortable flying in higher winds The first few times were nerve wracking.

I really try to keep everything as simple as possible. Nothing fancy or trying to learn new tricks. I don't want to do anything where a tip wrap and high winds can quickly lead to disaster. 

The only tricks I fool around with in high winds are: axles, half axles, cascades, inverse, and insanes. The advanced fliers say the comete is a good high wind trick.

A light pulling kite, is also easier to fly in higher winds. I flew a Widowmaker in higher winds. I thought the kite, performed nicely. There was no sudden bursts of acceleration. Pulled stayed moderate, no matter how hard the wind blew. It felt manageable and tricky, in high winds.

I watched Paul de Bakker fly a Jinx in high gusting winds, that were just ugly. He was able to do a number of tricks. I got to take a turn and the Jinx was surprisingly light on the lines, for being such a big kite.

Jay
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 04:18 AM »

that is what a prism alien is for........high winds tricking......

me I grab a deca after 15mph and fly that.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 04:39 AM »

Even vented kites have pull in higher wind. Seems like if it's not blowing through the vents, it's pinning the kite to the wind window. At that point, I get out the mid vent or vented quads.

Bob D.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 05:22 AM »

Chrisple,
Everything posted here is good stuff too. I also use sharper, faster inputs for faster rotations in tricking too. Some tricks are easier in higher winds, like the Commete, insane, backspin, etc (just my opinion). Wind brakes help a lot, a heavier weight, heavier lines, and if the kite has one- a setting on the bridle for high winds.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 08:59 AM »

Much of it also depends on the kite.  One that is a joy to fly in ideal winds can be a nightmare (too fast, pulls too hard, difficult to stall) in higher wind.

I like adx's suggestion - I usually just stick to tricks that are easy to do in high wind like the ones he mentioned.

6 kite tom
DaveH
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 06:18 PM »

Around 12 is the strongest I enjoy trying to trick. By 15 I'm done for the day. 
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 09:50 PM »

+1

have fun kurt
anOldMan

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 09:04 PM »

I have watched some very good pilots fly in winds between 15 and 20 mph. The major thing that I noticed is they never (and I mean NEVER) allow the kite to get powered-up. That means that they are always doing a trick.

Very interesting to watch but way beyond my ability.  Cheesy

After 15 mph, I just put a 300 pound line on my Mini-gem and practice patterns.  Smiley

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
coogee

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 03:13 PM »

When it gets to fresh for anything else I get my very old Mini Gem out and punt the little beast around the beach. Last night gusting 18 to low 20's and it was a blast. Axels that look like a science fiction special effect and plenty of other tricks at the edge of the window or right on the deck. Always come back from one of these sessions feeling a bit hysterical. Great Fun. This kite has survived a lot of hard flying and although it look a bit worse for wear it takes whatever you hand out and will still fly in the top of any kites breeze range.
           It takes a fair amount of footwork on a fresh day. Also flying around the edge of the window to slow the kite enough to initiate tricks works but the main way to get the hang of flying in strong breezes is to go flying in strong breezes. It is fun! Pick some thing with a small sail area and beat one it in breeze till you get the hang of it. You also get to learn how to repair your own kite as you will be keen to get out again before the breeze drops.
           Go on, follow that white rabbit.

John Welden

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 01:11 PM »

I pack it up if the wind is above about 3mph, but that's just me.  Wink

I've seen some of the guru french flyers and others do some amazing flying in high winds. If you are motivated, a lot can be done in higher winds. The comp flyers who are forced to fly in high winds seem to get good at it. 

I say do whatever is fun for you. If you're having fun tricking in 20mph, than more power to you.
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 01:43 PM »

Debray Freestyle

Richard Debray in 15+

Wildwood 2003

It's good to have a role model...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 01:45 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
John Welden

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 04:28 PM »

That's what I was talking about.  Huh Huh  Get out there and put in a 1000 hours in high wind and you can start to catch up with him if you're good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document