GWTW Forum
August 30, 2014, 01:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E2 or UL kite  (Read 2678 times)
alphameda
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 27, 2010, 11:09 PM »

hello pilots,

Okay where i live their is basically two spots that i can fly.
One is a field that i live next door too and the wind is anywhere from non existant to 15 mph. So ideally i fly here the most.
Then their is a second spot down by the water that has a wind range of 5-25 all the time.

This is the first "real" kite im buying, as i have learned/gotten down the basics on a new tech inginitor, and am ready to start learning tricks.

So given my situation, should i buy an E2 or look for a decent UL kite?
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 11:24 PM »

Sounds like you have some consistent wind, which is very rare where I fly.  Often, I can barely feel the wind on the back of my neck!

If you can consistently get 5-25 with it generally being (mostly) 5-15, then that would be pretty good wind in my book.  Nothing on up to 15, so I am assuming an average of around 7-8 is the sweet spot!

I would go for a decent standard - boutique kites will give you great performance in that wind range.  Check the Swap Meet - there is a standard Sea Devil there now for around $215 - you won't do better than that I imagine (thats a $400 kite new).  The E2 is also a great kite - more than capable.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:50 AM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 11:26 PM »

You'll find the E2 goes pretty low, enough lower then your Ignitor you'll think it is a UL. It sounds like you have pretty decent winds most of the time, or at least you stated that your second spot always has higher winds then you would need a UL for.

As always I would say get a good standard kite first, hone your skills on it, learn to fly it as low as it will go, usually that's under the stated range if you have smooth winds. Once you are skilled at flying in lower winds and have the feel and smoothness required you will have a much better appreciation of that UL you'll invest in next.

You've stated also in other threads your looking to learn tricks, you will be much better served in that quest with a standard kite.

JMO

Another thought is: once you have a more capable full size kite you won't be using that Ignitor much, you'll be tempted to fly your new kite, if you get a UL and fly it above 10 mph you will most likely experience breakage. That's not a given since there are some that use solid carbon rods and those are pretty bullet proof but I would go with a standard first.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:38 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
anOldMan

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:22 AM »

I would suggest that you get an E2. (the price is they are selling at now is very low). This kite may not be a trick monster but you will learn a great deal by flying the kite. Later when you have more experience, you will know which UL to get. But right now you can not beat the price for a E2.  Wink

Go to the shop of this forum.... Grin
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 03:01 AM by anOldMan » Logged

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 08:11 AM »

The standard kite is the way to go.

You can learn a lot about low wind flying with a standard. In fact, you should learn low wind flying with a standard and then pick up the rest of the skill set with a SUL or UL later.

That last little bit of flying in Zero to very little wind is a different skill set that comes after learning how to fly your standard as low as possible not the other way around.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 12:33 PM »

Go with the standard. If you don't want to spend more than the cost of the E2 than an E2 is a good place to start. If it's tricks that your mostly interested in, ULs aren't going to satisfy you the way a standard will. Like Jim  said, it's a different skill set. You'll be breaking sticks more than you will be tricking.

My first UL was a Prism Flashlight and I broke lots of leading edges learning to cartwheel it. It will fly in low wind but there comes a point where it just stops and you might as well pack it in and try an E-Flite MCX r/c helicopter for awhile.

Bob D.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 05:08 PM »

Get the E2...................period.................It's been referred to above as 'not a trick monster', but it is featured in the Freestyle Pilot vid more than any other kite Prism had at the time          +    you get the vid if you buy it new from our host.........Pull the trigger.........I dare you Wink

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 05:37 PM »

An E2 from Steve, at that price......dude...it's a no brainer.   Cool

ATB,
Chris

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Jared
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 05:43 PM »

An E2 from Steve, at that price......dude...it's a no brainer.   Cool

ATB,
Chris

What Chris said!  Apparently, you can even completely crash an E2 in the surf, then pull it back out, put the spreaders back in, and keep flying Smiley
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 05:51 PM »

Yes, you can.....

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Adicakes
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 07:26 PM »

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to return soup at a deli!  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document