GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 08:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prism E2 Lower Leading Edge Repairs  (Read 2894 times)
filpee
Trade Count: (0)

« on: January 29, 2010, 09:48 PM »

I seem to have broken both Lower Leading Edges on my Prism E2  Cry
And on its first maiden flight :-( (was a bit too brutal trying to relaunch it).

So can you help me with what I need to fix it.

I know I will need to purchase and cut down two P200 skyshark rods but I dont know what size nock ends (in mm) to get. Are the P200 6mm or 7mm?
What glue should I use to fit the nock ends? Is super glue good enough?
kiten00b
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 10:23 PM »

get these nocks, no glue required
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 10:24 PM »

They are a little over 7mm external, call or write Steve here at GWTW he can set you up in a jiffy. There are a couple options, nocks that fit over the rod, or use a half length internal ferrule with a 6mm nock on it, or Steve may still have some of the Moonie Nocks which are internals with a setscrew to tighten them into the rod (ah he does, thanks kiten00b). Alternately you should be able to remove your current nocks for re-use, they are probably super glued on, a sharp rap will often break the bond, but then new nocks are pretty cheap. You may need new stoppers too near the speader connectors, Steve will make sure to get you everything into the box.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 10:26 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 09:57 AM »

http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=44

have fun kurt
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 11:18 AM »

Try to remove the original nocks from the broken LE, or buy some spare Prism nocks from Steve besides the new P200 you need. You may want to buy also some further nocks and some vinil endcaps to protect all the wingtips of your kites. This is what I did, and they work greatly with all my kites, Prisms and others.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 11:34 AM »

You have several options ...

Being in Australia shipping can get a bit expensive, but if you can get the rods local but not the nocks those would ship rather "cheaply"

Standard on the most recent E2's were lock nocks that are similar to the "Moonie Nocks" (which would work just fine.  However those may be hard to find locally.  You may have better luck finding .240 safety nocks and then using a short (inch or so) piece of .240 solid carbon to create a ferrule that will allow you to use that safety nock.  If you have a decent local kite shop they should be able to fix you up ... if not drop me an email and I can give you an exact quote for shipping the nocks.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
filpee

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 08:27 PM »

Hi, thanks everyone for your replies.

After a close inspection I was able to pull out the existing nock's as they are press fit and not glued in  Smiley

I have also found that one of the lower spreaders is also broken so I have purchased 3 replacement rods.

Because this is my first trick kite and I will probably break it again can I repair these rods using ferrules to join broken rods together? $15 (aussie dollars) per rod adds up pretty quick.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 10:42 PM »

Hi, thanks everyone for your replies.

Because this is my first trick kite and I will probably break it again can I repair these rods using ferrules to join broken rods together? $15 (aussie dollars) per rod adds up pretty quick.

You could use ferrules if the only thing you were interested in was dimension.  You WOULD change the weight and balance of the kite, of course, and then there is the matter of losing the flex of the rod at the proper places.......causing an even greater chance of breakage.........I wouldn't recommend it.  JMO

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 10:51 PM »

The main thing is to be sure that you NEVER pull on a line when it is wrapped around a leading edge - that is the quickest way to snap it.

If you are still learning ground recoveries (cartwheel), practice it with short lines and you will pick it up more quickly.

6 kite tom
filpee

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 04:47 AM »

The main thing is to be sure that you NEVER pull on a line when it is wrapped around a leading edge - that is the quickest way to snap it.

If you are still learning ground recoveries (cartwheel), practice it with short lines and you will pick it up more quickly.

Ah yes. This is exactly what I have done. Doh! New rods have arrived so my kite is ready once again to fly. Thanks all for you help.
Ace

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2010, 05:58 PM »

Hey filpee
A bit belated I know,
but regarding the E2 I too started out with that kite.
One thing to be careful of is sail tension, especially with yours being second hand.
I found as mine got older it became looser all round and things started to break easier. I tightened the sail and no more issues.
Make sure the sail is tight...real tight, tilt your standoffs towards the centre T to stop the spreaders separating and put a couple of rolls of electrical tape above the APA fittings on the lower leading edge to stop the spreaders creeping up in flight. Should be fine after that.

Cheers Smiley

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change