GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 10:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good trickable Street Kite Recommendation?  (Read 3799 times)
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: January 30, 2010, 09:18 AM »

Hi,

I'm on the lookout for a nice trickable street kite. Would welcome any suggestions/recommendations or experiences here.

Here's kind of what I'm currently looking at. I'm looking for a small - mid size (not full size) dual line trick kite (anything below or around 2 meters) that would be suitable for flying in extremely tubulent wind maybe in between buildings, built up areas etc. Basically something suitable for urban flying.

Most probably I would be sticking 30ft - 50ft of line when urban flying. It would be good if it has a really good low wind range for times when  there are lulls in the wind but won't break apart with sudden gusts of maybe 10ish mph wind comes along.

Small kite, short lines. Definitely needs to be agile enough for rough and tumble trick flying and not feel overly "too big". Small wrist like inputs definitely would be good.

Obviously not going to use it for precision but I won't really want any oversteer. Don't like that in a kite nowadays.

Trick wise, it would be good if its able to do the following tricks:
  • Your basic Axels, Cascades
  • Cometes
  • Jacob's Ladders and variants
  • Backspins
  • Single/Multi Lazy Susans
  • 1 pop yoyo
  • Good stability in a turtle, able to do rising turtles or 2 pop yoyos
  • Good balance for flatspin so when the wind drops I can still decently do helicopters or descending multiple axels

So here's basically my laundry list of probably impossible wants in what I would like to have for the "perfect street" kite but I'd be happy if most if not some are met.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Darryl
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 09:31 AM by lasapcheong » Logged

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
fworley
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 09:55 AM »

Something small, tricky and works in light winds ... how about one of R-Sky Jordana, Dutch Kites Subzero, CDC 1.8.

None of these kites are made anymore ... but I'm sure y'all be able to find one on Swap Meet here or FA.

Of these the Subzero is the trickiest ... I have a soft spot for the Jordana myself.

-Frazer
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 09:58 AM »

Maybe the new Prism 4D will come close to filling these wishes...

I guess we'll see in a few months...

ET
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 10:07 AM »

Of what I have or owned…

A) Level One My One
B) Level One Jump
C) Level One Easy reloaded
D) Level one JJF SUL
E) L’Atelier Cesium Continental
F) Premier addiction
G) Premier Jewel
H) Nirvana FX reframed with 3PT’s or Avia skinneys
I)  Frenezy Evo reframed with 3PT’s or Avia skinneys
J) Stx 1.8
K) Sub Zero

•   Your basic Axels, Cascades - all
•   Cometes – A, B, D, F, G, H, I, K
•   Jacob's Ladders and variants - all
•   Backspins - all
•   Single/Multi Lazy Susans – A, B, C, D, H, I, K
•   1 pop yoyo – A, B, C, G, H, I, K
•   Good stability in a turtle, able to do rising turtles or 2 pop yoyos – all.  Rising turtles – A, J 
•   Good balance for flatspin so when the wind drops I can still decently do helicopters or descending multiple axels.  540’s – all.  Helicopters – now your talking UL’s

Only if herbalizer was still around.  He's the man in this department.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 10:10 AM by ET » Logged
fworley
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 10:37 AM »

... and theres the L'Atelier Double Zero - which might work well too.

-Frazer
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 11:16 AM »

Tantrum.  By Shawn Tinkham.  Video here:  http://vipersportkites.com/vipersportkites_011.htm

It is slightly larger than you want @ about 2.1 meter but it flies much smaller.  I had never measured mine, but I thought it was about a 1.9 meter kite until I looked it up.  Good down to about 3 mph and up to more than I cared to fly in.  Does everything you asked for and more.

I haven't flown an Easy Light since I learned to do some of the tricks you list, but it was a great flying kite that would take turbulence very well and @ about 1.6 m was very nice in restricted areas on short lines.  It was great at all the flat spin stuff, but I never tried more advanced tricks with it.  The web site says "There is no known trick today that the Easy Light can not perform given the right wind conditions."  I am not sure I buy that, but it is a very capable kite and capable of rough handling.  Although it was a UL and flew very well in 2 mph, it was beefy enough to take those 10 mph blasts.

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 03:22 PM »

the shadow might not like the upper winds of your wish and does at least for me needs a  2 pop to yoyo but it will do most every thing else never broke mine but then i dont fly around bus benches walls and other kite eating obstacles

have fun kurt
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 03:27 PM »

The level one Jump is an absolute kick in the pants for stuff like that  Smiley  Cheesy

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
fworley
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 03:31 PM »

the shadow might not like the upper winds of your wish and does at least for me needs a  2 pop to yoyo but it will do most every thing else never broke mine but then i dont fly around bus benches walls and other kite eating obstacles

The Shadow ? Are you serious ? Did you bother to read his list of trick requirements ? I think NOT.

Surely you meant Peerless ? Yeah - get a Peerless thats what you need for all your street kiting needs !

-Frazer
Beachbum
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 05:53 PM »

I would think the Black Dog UL would be a definite hit here.  I know Dodd can trick the pants out of most kites but it looked pretty stable in the vids.

fworley
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 06:17 PM »

I would think the Black Dog UL would be a definite hit here.  I know Dodd can trick the pants out of most kites but it looked pretty stable in the vids.

I agree - street kites need to be built for abuse ... and having watched that video - I know its up for the punishment.

-Frazer
Beachbum
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2010, 06:23 PM »

I agree - street kites need to be built for abuse ... and having watched that video - I know its up for the punishment.

-Frazer

Exactly, and it looks like a kite that any inexperienced flier could pick up and get tricks that they can not normally do.  Kind of like the kite flies itself.
Adicakes
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 06:26 PM »

How about Atelier's Lynx Feather?  Would fit the bill on pretty much all of your points except the one-pop yoyo, though as a trade-off you get very nice backflip/lazy performance.  The main reason the Lynx Feather came to mind is that the original promo video of it had a strong urban-flying theme set in Paris.
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 08:13 PM »

Thanks guys. Wow that's a lot of recommendation for me to go mull over and look through.

I'm a bit partial between L'Atelier's Lync Feather and the Double Zero. Looking at their videos over and over again the Lynx Feather is certainly mind blowing. However I'm always a little bit skeptical of stuff like that since you can never tell what kind of wind they are shooting it in.

The Double Zero is very appealing but the frame looks like it's not meant for outdoor abuse. Those spars look really fragile! As an Indoor kite it doesn't look like the easiest kite to fly too so I'm afraid of being left with a kite that isn't as versatile and beyond my current Indoor abilities for now.

How about Level One's Easy Reloaded? Very interested looking at that video as well. Can it comete? It's low wind range is stated at 6kmh (4mph) which when translating into real world terms, is maybe 6mph or something in order for it to achieve sufficient forward drive.   

-Darryl 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 08:16 PM by lasapcheong » Logged

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 08:52 PM »

-Frazer

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change