GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 02:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Light Kits  (Read 1946 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« on: January 31, 2010, 10:36 PM »

Anyone have some recommendations on adding lights to dual lines for night flying?

Ideally, I would like them to be small/light.  Anyone who has experience doing this - can you see the kite (or lights) well enough to do tricks?

6 kite tom
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:51 PM »

We've got a couple of light sets Tom that have three lights mostly mounted on the upper spreader and lower spreaders toward the outside.  However they use two AA batteries that we bungie to the CT and they drastically change the weight of the kite....................You can see the kite very well, however......I have heard that there are LEDs out now that give out more light with less power, hence less weight in batteries, but have no clue where to get them nor any idea on price.

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 10:55 PM »

Thanks Jim - I did a search, but couldn't find much.  I'm looking forward to trying this stuff out.

6 kite tom
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 11:25 PM »

Jim,

Kite lights sounds like a really cool idea but they're not much fun.  You can't do much in the way of tricks and even if you do, they don't look like anything so it's pointless. So that leave precision night flying.  Undecided  Not something that is much fun in my opinion.  Maybe at a kite festival just for kicks with a couple friends.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 01:00 AM »

Phosphorescent tape is about a $1 a foot.  A 10 minute charge will burn brightly for about an hour and then at reduced output for another 5 hours.  Minimal weight, CoG penalty.

ATB,
Sam
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 02:39 AM »

Relective tape in key locations and a good headlight in my experience are better than any lights I have tried, or seen tried.  The only other success I have seen was with these thin glow sticks wrapped on the spars.  That worked, but the result was still not perfect. 

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Hadge

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 02:42 AM »

Check this video out - WOW!

Stunt kite at Night

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 04:40 AM »

EL wire........great stuff to work with.....you can have the wire trailing off the edges if you want...or cut the wire to the exact length and incorporate it into the kite frame.....

there used to be  the "fly by night" light system that had 5 leds down each leading edge.....worked great....a bit of weight....but still worked great......not certain if anyone has them anymore though.....

i have heard of people just cutting open light sticks and pouring the liquid on the kite....works well..messy.....not much weight.....potential staining....

there are lots of smaller LED keychain lights that i am certain with a bit of ingenuity you can make work just fine for you!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
benjai

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 04:51 AM »

I did this (below) many moons ago (before I knew any better) with EL wire. Looked OK, but i never flew it because the extra weight would have made it impossible. I think Obi's suggestion is best and in fact Kitehouse put reflective tape in a limited edition of the cosmic a year or so ago...

KiteLights

Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 07:32 AM »

Jim,

Kite lights sounds like a really cool idea but they're not much fun.  You can't do much in the way of tricks and even if you do, they don't look like anything so it's pointless. So that leave precision night flying.  Undecided  Not something that is much fun in my opinion.  Maybe at a kite festival just for kicks with a couple friends.

Agreed Wink Cool

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 03:40 PM »

the issue we've found here with lights is once you start tricking, you lose perspective and orientation of the kite easily.

the tc ghost with the reflective tape seems ingenious to me but have yet to see one in person.
so far, we've found the best solution to just be certain colors of kite which make the most of the ambient light. full moons don't hurt either.

something suuuuper easy which you can experiment with very cheaply is the idea of an led throwie. it's basically an led, nickel sized lithium battery, and a magnet. (see video below)

i'll post a link later to what i made but at the moment something between me and youtube is preventing anything but a tiny trickle of an upload, so it's taking a loooong time.

Making an LED Throwie

Fdeli
kiten00b
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 03:56 PM »

dollar stores usually have lots of different LEDs suitable for night flying
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 04:16 PM »

I was one of those who cut open light sticks and dumped them on the kite. You don't do this to a kite you are keeping. Don't bother anymore though, the chemistry has been changed and once the glo-goop hits the air it looses 90% of it's glow, used to take an hour or so to do that.

With the proliferation of LED flashlights for a few dollars there's a ready supply now of cheap parts to build your own, get one or more of the compact ones that use 1 battery, and some micro wire at your hobby shop. 8-10 of those bulbs should burn for an hour off a AAA battery.

I picked up a bunch of packs of the glow wire at the $1 store but never tried it, the driver unit and batteries would've been a lot of weight.

Did you know that the fluorescent colors of ripstops we use glow under UV light? Some whites do also. Did you know you can get a UV wavelength LED that runs for hours off 3 button batteries? Did you know that little LED puts out enough to light up a 600 cubic foot + area? I've known about the fabric for years, I've had that light source for a few years, but haven't built the kite yet  Sad

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 08:02 PM »

here's what i had made.
LED Kite Lights

Fdeli
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 04:13 AM »

I ordered some small LEDs with magnet backs off eBay a long time ago.  These worked, in the sense that they produced light on the kite.  Landings make them fall off.  And once they fall off, you are out one magnet.  Needless to say...eventually...you are stuck with a handful of watch batteries that blink.

obi
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 08:20 AM by obijuankenobe » Logged

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography