GWTW Forum
August 27, 2014, 10:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fearless Vented video - Tasmania, Australia Day 2010 (5.30am)  (Read 2121 times)
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: February 02, 2010, 06:20 PM »

Dear all,

I offered Lam to do a video of flying my newest baby, a Fearless Vented,  in Tasmania.

I thought what better way to ignite the interest of you guys in the northern
hemisphere  (in the middle of your winter with short days, rain and snow?)
than to have a dawn sunrise flight session....on Australia Day.....with
Tasmanian music (Cary Lewincamp) in the background on a Tasmanian Beach (Kingston, near my home).....

The movie is called "5.30 am.Australia Day Jan 26 2010."

Dawn... Australia Day Jan 26th 2010 - Fearless Vented
Dawn... Australia Day Jan 26th 2010 - Fearless Vented

(ps: the flying is average, hopefully the backdrop makes up for the lack of skills and variety!...take it easy on me...its the first video I have ever made...and the first time I have seen myself flying.....sort of dissapointing skill level really..:-))))

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 01:17 AM by steve.hobart » Logged
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 07:34 PM »

5.30... AM Huh... sometimes I'm still up  Wink

Don't worry about the first video Steve, it's a Murphy's law thing  Cool

And it'll make your progress in your second one quite the thing to see.

WD

WinterDaze AoF
filpee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 01:25 AM »

Nice flying Steve and that really is a beautiful kite.
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 02:26 AM »

Woah... a vented dual line in 3mph - 5mph of wind?  Huh

Is that a typo?

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
steve.hobart

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 02:42 AM »

thanks for your kind comments guys...glad you enjoyed the sunrise!

No typo . There were 3 - 5 mph winds that morning (on my wind gauge) ...

this Fearless Vented is amazing in its wind range...I go out with just the SUL and Vented these days...all the wind range is nicely covered....

The Vented has become my "standard" from 3 mph upwards........

great for smoothing out bumpy winds too.....

(thanks Lam!)

cheers

steve
Ace

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 03:02 AM »

Great job Steve considering it was a vented kite and all....

Seriously I would have thought the SUL would have been better suited to those winds. Huh

Did you find the vented sluggish at all ie was it extra work given the extra weight and lovely holes in the sail. Roll Eyes

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
steve.hobart

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 03:10 AM »

there was one or two times where the kite wasn't fully powered (near the end with the half axels, you can see that there is some "wobble" coming out of each one rather than tracking straight as the wind dropped off). I did a fair bit of backward and forward movement as the wind moved (hence some shots have me in it and some the kite is closer). However unlike other vented kites, this one is not heavy at all. In fact it feels like a light standard in some respects. Also does not pull you off your feet in the 15 - 20 mph range either ! (I use wind brakes in that range to slow it down a little). In this wind range (3-5 mph) I prefer the vented with more mass than the SUL making tricking easier...of course the payback is you need to move more!! The SUL goes down VERY low and by the time the wind is around 5-6 mph it goes a little fast for me at my skill level....

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:13 AM by steve.hobart » Logged
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 04:29 AM »

Really nice video, Steve. You got the perfect spot picked for the camera, and it looks so nice and warm there !
People have been telling me that the FL vented is the next kite I should get, now I see why. I fly my FL SUL from ~2mph-5mph+ with the 3pts, and find that it performs better than the 2 pts. I really didn't notice that the 2pts extended its wind range down, any. I can fly it in less than 2mph, but it's too much work, and not worth it.
I don't know, if the SUL and the vented overlap in their wind range... where does that leave the standard and the light ?
~Rob.

steve.hobart

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 04:38 AM »

Hi Rob,

Not sure. I find I only need the SUL and Vented Fearless. But they are both new to me so I havent spent too many hours on them. A "light" would have given me more flexibility in tricking when the wind was dropping in the video (if it is anything like the SD Light which IMHO was THE SD to have - best wind range)...

Tom has a Light and standard - what are your thoughts Tom?

cheers

steve
benjai

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 04:50 AM »

Nice one - that was good to watch, and what a setting!
obijuankenobe

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 05:12 AM »

Not be to be a pain, but the Sea Devil midvent was also for all practical purposes a better standard, and was always my favorite devil.  The vents are so small, they only really add a few mph to the top end, while removing some of the pressure in normal tricking winds.  I am not surprised by this at all.  Compare Lam's venting to a vented Nirvana or a vented Opium...little holes versus whole vent panels. 

I am sure it's an amazing kite.  Thanks for the beautiful video!

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
steve.hobart

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2010, 11:55 AM »

thanks for all of your comments guys. Very kind.

Now just to have practice a wider of variety of tricks for the next video!!

cheers

steve
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 12:15 PM »

Thanks for posting - enjoyed watching your video!  Looks like a great place to fly.

I've got all 4 of the Fearless and enjoy them all - very consistent capability and feel across the entire line.  Given that, I just make a choice based on how I want to fly that day.  If I want to fly a kite thats powered up, I take out the SUL in 5mph wind, although they will all fly in that.  If I want to do low and slow, then perhaps the vent in that same wind - really a matter of what you feel like doing.

I usually just fly the Light, but its not like I don't equally enjoy the SUL or Vent.  I do think that in standard sorts of winds, the Vent offers even easier tricks than the standard does - but its pretty close (not like its a night and day difference or anything, they are both amazing).

I've had other kite sets and they just didn't work like this - the SUL had a completely different feel and trick capabilities than the Standard vs the vent, etc.  Usually, I would only fly the vent when I had to - it was just no fun compared to the others - not so with this kite!  This Fearless is the best I've seen at this consistent feel and capability - your technique on one works on them all.

6 kite tom
WinterDaze

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 05:28 PM »

Great first effort Steve, I really enjoyed it, To infinity and beyond!  Cool

WD

WinterDaze AoF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document