GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 07:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need info on Niagra Falls  (Read 2420 times)
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2010, 11:02 AM »

Gary's a good choice to connect you with the local kite fliers, most of whom do not hang out here. I think Bob White (who has his own kite-and-aviation website) lives in Niagara Falls, NY -- but I never travel to kite shows, so I don't have much local knowledge thereabouts.
I'd add the butterfly conservatory to your must-see list. A relative gave us free tickets for Christmas maybe a dozen years ago, and I still remember our visit vividly! Some of those butterflies are literally unbelievable, and the tour, ambience, staff, etc., are all first rate, even for grown-ups -- really!
We drive to the US at least once a year, and usually cross the border at the biggest of the Niagara-area bridges, which I think is called Niagara Queenston. It connects two pretty major highways, maybe US290 and the Queen Elizabeth Way in Canada.
We've never waited very long -- even the time I drove across two days after 9/11! There's a local phone number that gives real-time info on the wait times on all 3 bridges in both directions. It should be easy to find the # online; if not, post here and I'll dig it up.

Norm in Toronto
normofthenorth
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2010, 11:02 AM »

BTW, it's Niagara, not Niagra.

Norm in Toronto
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 12:21 PM »

Thanks Norm, good info.

Thanks to everyone who posted.  Info definitely helped.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:45 AM by ndcmpc » Logged

Flight Log

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
vraun
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2010, 12:59 PM »

Hi Doug,

Just catching up on the forum and saw your post. I live in Niagara.

The Niagara Festival is cancelled and future unknown. However our local club, the Niagara Windriders run a great festival first weekend in August as part of Canal Days in Port Colborne ( just in case in others are interested).

For copius ampunts of information you could check Trip Advisor for hotel information and sights:
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154998-i97-Niagara_Falls_Ontario.html

Canadian side is much better for view etc, though there is some good stuff on American side. Cave of Winds is good on American side on Goat Island.

Border crossings are generally easy with not long waits except during some peak travel times. Peace Bridge in Buffalo and Rainbow are usually best bets. Queenston-Lewiston usually has worst line-ups and it seems more direct to Toronto. There are internet sites with wait times, Canadian and U.S. sides.

Hotels with a view are on Canadian side. There is an interactive map to help select at
http://www.niagarafallslive.com/Niagara_Falls_Interactive_Map.htm

As mentioned chicken wings were invented at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo. It is a bit of a tourist trap and not necessarily best wings. Can't remember name of place I like but Anchor okay for experience.

Best sights, Maid of Mist, Whitewater Walk, Skylon, helicopter ride, butterfly Coservatory. Niagara-on-the-Lake is a quaint town at mouth of Niagara River with Shaw Theatres. Lots of great wineries in area with restaurants.

Also the Welland canal is nearby where you can see ocean going ships climb the escarpment (which the river drops down at the falls).

Let me know if you need more.

Vaino
St. Catharines/Niagara
Ontario Canada
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography