GWTW Forum
April 23, 2014, 12:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KP ROLL CALL!!  (Read 16264 times)
Jeff
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2010, 02:36 PM »

Managed to work out my schedule, I'll be there for Friday and Saturday.

Jeff Faje
Round Lake, IL
"Jeff"
Quads

and
kiteking
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2010, 03:53 PM »

Great news Jeff (another red shirt)

56 registered fliers

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2010, 08:45 AM »

I have attended all the KPs.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Naswifty

« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2010, 12:00 PM »

Jeff Bigelow
Stockton Ca
Big Jeff
dual and quad traction

Lyle Walter
Long Beach Ca
single and dual line
kiteking

« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2010, 12:13 PM »

I have attended all the KPs.  Smiley

Thanks John

58 registered
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:18 PM by kiteking » Logged

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

windwiz

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2010, 12:58 PM »

Dan Rubesh
Port Hueneme, CA
WindWiz
Single Line
thekitedude

« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2010, 07:29 PM »

Rick Spurgeon
thekitedude
San Diego, Ca
Single Line These Days
kiteking

« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2010, 09:36 PM »

60 registered

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Revgod
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2010, 12:59 PM »

Hey gang,
So I have a bit of a concern regarding "registration" for the party. The Kite Party kind of went from a private invite only kind of thing, to somehow a "anyone who registers can fly" thing. It's awesome that the event has become some popular, and I am truly very flattered. I am concerned however that by announcing that all ANYONE has to do to be able to come fly at the party is to "register" by doing so on this wonderful forum. The MAIN flying field is not for beginners, and we need to limit the numbers since the field isn't very big. I'm getting requests from people I've never heard of, some of who are beginners. I'm a little uncomfortable with what to say. My standard answer is "while you are welcome to come, the main field is not for beginners, and if you don't have excellent control of your kite, it isn't the place for you". Any thoughts? This party is for you people, so help me out on this one. Perhaps a seperate post addressing registration? Thanks.

Steve's CTR
kiteking

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2010, 01:25 PM »

Maybe

new/unknown/first time attendees should be interviewed/given a check out flight before allowing them on the main field

Are we having an additional field this year??

I agree with both your points Dave, great to see additional people making the event, but they must be able to control their kite in tight spaces.

Additionally, if someone on the main field is out of control they should be prepared to be asked to vacate the main field without taking offense / making a fuss there is plenty of space north of the flying fields for them to practice, practice,practice. I'm sure I am not alone in saying I would be willing to give advise to novice fliers.

Policing should be the responsibility of everyone and should be done fairly, it is for everyone's safety
that control is a requirement.

That's my thoughts, anyone else?

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2010, 02:19 PM »

Maybe if we can get the newbies to buy a nice kite from our host with the promise of a lesson from one of the gang, we could kill a couple of birds with one stone.

Just a thought.

Dave, however you want to handle crowd control is good with me. You are the host, you should get to make the rules.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Wakeless Kites

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2010, 02:33 PM »

Is there a line lenght limit established? Perhaps this would help if line were limited. maybe 100' or 80' even, just a thought. I know that when I fly our stacks and we have the room we are on 140' tp 150', most Quads are on about 90', light wind kites are on less.

Then theres the SLK's, most i would think are a non issue, but what about the big stuff? My big Parafoil is 300 sq feet with some tails on the line 120' long, then two 17' Dia BOLS with 30' bridles spinning all over the place closer to the ground. It is a well behaved kite and flies very reliably.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2010, 03:39 PM »

Historically, 75' max is a hard rule for general flying. Longer lines can be used for demos when the field has been cleared. It's a pretty small field.

Allen, AKA kitehead
kiteking

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2010, 04:24 PM »

Then theres the SLK's, most i would think are a non issue, but what about the big stuff? My big Parafoil is 300 sq feet with some tails on the line 120' long, then two 17' Dia BOLS with 30' bridles spinning all over the place closer to the ground. It is a well behaved kite and flies very reliably.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe the concerns are on the main (sport/multi-line) field

Good call on the line length,

All that are new to KP make sure you have some lines sets 75ft or less

I use 65ft so my stacks wont be too far over the limit.

Dave usually has line sets for sale

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

Jeepster

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2010, 04:24 PM »

Historically, 75' max is a hard rule for general flying. Longer lines can be used for demos when the field has been cleared. It's a pretty small field.

Dave will probably make it 77.5 feet this year ... I swear that guy loves to mess with us!

@Wakeless ... the length limit is for Saturday and Sunday for the official KP ... show up early or stay late and fly what you want.  Well, maybe not Kevlar, but any length you want.  KiteKing flew a stack one afternoon that seemed to fill half the beach.

Cheers,
Tom
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography