GWTW Forum
August 23, 2014, 02:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter flight: Nirvana SUL & Ozone  (Read 3080 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 01:25 AM »

Darren,

I did not correct anyone. I merely presented information on how a photo would look using a different approach and suggested he check it out.

If he is aware of it already, he can ignore my suggestion. Many people do.

If he is not aware of it, he will have found an additional way to look at a photo in the future.

In either case, he will end up with the photo being the way he wants it to.

I'm not claiming to be the greatest post-processing guru on the planet or even this Forum. There are several professional photographers (past and present), yourself included who frequent this Forum.

But one of the reasons this Forum exists is to exchange ideas and options on how we do things, whether it's perfecting a trick, playing with a photo or movie, or figuring out which Apple product is good or bad.

If I have been offensive on this subject at any point to Svolazzo, please show me where. Did I come across as all high'n'mighty with a Level Adjust suggestion with example?

I'm done. Interesting though. Love the veils on Lisa. She looks hot. Maybe subtle is good.  Wink

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2010, 02:00 AM »

I can see where John saw the photo as a little flat, it is. That may have been the artist's intention, or it may have been a product of the overcast day. An automatic histogram stretch places it somewhere between the original post and John's retouch and brings out some detail in the clouds and adds a little contrast by bringing out the full range of shades and is independant of the platform your working on since you are making no interpretations or decisions other then that the photo contains 1 pure white pixel and 1 pure black pixel somewhere so you don't muss things up.

For those who may not know the function of a histogram stretch it finds the whitest pixel in a photo and makes it a pure white and the blackest pixel in the photo and makes it a pure black then adjusts all the shades between up or down from a neutral point thus giving the photo a full range of shades rather then a flat feeling like it was shot in the fog.

I often play with other peoples pictures, for my own use, many times it's to take out overdone adjustments if I see them detracting from what I imagine the original was, or to balance pictures possibly adjusted on an unbalanced monitor and now having an unatural color cast, or to correct photo's done on an Apple to balance them correctly to my PC's. Unless I've been asked to they never see it.

I'll also confess if it was my picture I probably would've taken some of the same steps as John did before publishing it, I like them to "Pop" too. Overcast days or fog often recieve that histogram stretch treatment. The artist may have had a different interpretation as suggested.

Remember too John works on an older Apple and they often render .jpgs darker then PC's hence the washed out sky, loss of any detail in the clouds, and glare off the pilot in his version, might look fine on his screen.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 02:09 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Svolazzo
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 03:40 AM »

First of all, thanks everybody for al your kind comments, and about the great option to vote my pic for the next calendar.....you would make me extremely happy and proud  Smiley
About Photoshop optimization, maybe I used a slightly improper word (maybe my not optimized english  Wink  )
however, I didn't made any level or whatever else correction on it, but I posted just as my camera (nikon d70s with 70/300 zoom on) shot it. The only work I did was to correct the tilt, indeed the original one featured the sea on the background very tilted so I rotated the picture and cloned the sand, the sea and the sky to have the sea perfectly orizontal.
The pic was shoot in the evening of a cloudy and grey day, so I can understand that somebody may want to give it more light and life to the colours.
What Chilese did was simply an option to have a different light on the pic and I don't feel any offense in this, you may like the "leveled" one or the original (untouched) one: it's only your choice  Wink
I did't thought to adjust level but now I'm going to play with them, even though I'm not a Photoshop expert, just to see what I will pull out.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2010, 03:44 AM »

obi, nah, john and i fly together every week, always having a fun time. he knows i have great reverence and respect for he and his collection of photos. this doesn't mean i'll always agree with him though. i'm sure next time we fly we'll have a chuckle about my preposterous rendition.

in this particular case, to me, there's message which is washed away when you brighten the image up, and it moves from being a great photograph, to being a great kite photo. the way svolazzo presented the image, it has more substance.

to each his own.

john, why so serious? didn't mean to bug you pal, seriously.
svolazzo, i'm sorry your thread was hijacked, and i love your picture.

Fdeli
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document