GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 04:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snap Lazy - Top or Bottom pop  (Read 4093 times)
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: March 19, 2009, 04:14 AM »

I'm having more luck with getting the kite into a turtle when I pop the bottom wing as I'm flying across the window.

I thought I had read that you should pop the opposite wing though. I have a much lower success rate when I do this though because the kite seems to rotate nose away.

I'd like to do this right so I'd like to know if I need to work on this differently.

Bob D.
CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 05:03 AM »

A snap lazy is just the bottom wing.  Pop the line once to get the kite into a turtle and tap it again to lazy rotation.  Typically I help the kite along but pushing with the opposite hand to allow for the kite to lay into a "deep" turtle. 
You can also do an inverse which is just an opposite rotation by using the other hand to initiate the lazy rotation.  You still have to pop the bottom wing though to get the kite onto it's back.

If you pop the top wing that's basically a half axel.

Take a look at Randy's rolling susan and inverse tutorials.  They'll give you an idea of what the trick should look like when the proper inputs are used.  Kites that are easier to get onto their backs are better to learn these tricks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 05:05 AM by CTaylor » Logged

DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 06:46 AM »

This is really helpful information.  Thanks guys.  So Chris, the rotation for the snap lazy is initiated with the same (lower wing) hand?  After reading this thread I can't help but notice how these tricks relate to the slot and Taz, except the kite is on its back....

I've been doing what I thought was a rolling susan but I pull what was the upper wing to initiate rotation.  Seems easier for me to get the timing by using both hands.  Is that then an inverse or do I have it backwards?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:08 AM by DaveH » Logged
fworley
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 07:13 AM »

I "pop" the top wing. Its not really a pop - more of hard tug - with lots of slack on the other line.

It kills the kite in a turtle ... perfect for Kombo's or whatever.

Might not be the textbook method - but it works ... try it for yourself.

-Frazer
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 07:25 AM »

I hit the bottom wing to get into a turtle and then a pull with the same hand to initiate the lazy rotation. From the turtle, pull with the opposite hand and spin 540 degrees for an inverse.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
DaveH
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:41 AM »

I just checked Randy's stuff.  I've been doing the Inverse..
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 07:42 AM »

I use a small top pop quickly followed by a bottom pop. Like a half axel except upside down. This instantaneously dumps it in a turtle with no slack necessary, so if you hit it hard enough on the bottom line it can do it well in any wind.

I can see that you may be able to get it to fall on its back by doing a snap stall followed by slack - which is what the top pop seems to be - but it is much, much cleaner and smoother using the upside down half axel approach.
CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 08:21 AM »

Wouldn't that be similar to pushing slightly with the bottom hand before the "Pop" to get the kite onto it's back. 
I typically only do this in higher winds as it takes a bit more to dump the wind out of the sail.

Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 08:24 AM »

I like Will's idea about the small pop for the top wing. It was blowing pretty well at lunch yesterday and the Fearless was really moving. I was doing snap lazies at the edge of the window because it was too fast in the middle. A top-wing pop in the middle of the window would stop it, and the bottom-wing pop would put it in a turtle.

(I got a few nice floaty 540s yesterday too. The good weather is back!)

Now my next big problem is finding time for my 61/49 that I've been dying to get to!

Bob D.
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 11:05 AM »

A good whack on the bottom wing will generally get the kite onto it's back quickly, from there it's timing and slack management to get the kite to go around with an input from the same hand. I equate this "single handed" move to an upside down slot machine. Not so much  like the current craze of boring technical slots, but the old style pop-pop-spin fluid slots.

Some kites don't go on their back as cleanly as others from the lower wing snap.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 11:49 AM »

A ? for the guys that pop the top wing to get into the Turtle, Are you pushing back / slacking on the top or pulling the bottom first before the pop on the top wing? When I pop the top & slack the bottom wing the kite lays out belly down, like a Slot entry.

I had to think about this but I guess I push the top hand as I pop the bottom wing for a horizontal Turtle entry. Then it's either hand for the Lazy or Inverse rotation

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum