GWTW Forum
July 23, 2014, 11:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COPY CAT kite Manufacture  (Read 16636 times)
JMartJr
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 01:37 PM »

Not to horn in on Darryls idea, but for what it is worth, here's a bash at a design....

<<URL redacted pending clarification of whther this is allowed...>>

Currently I've got it markd up only $1, to help pay for the abillity of my store to have multiple items.

Am looking at a sport-kite related design, and if there is interest I'll add more options.

Wanted to start with a generic kite, and not have it look too much like anybody's particualr item...

Offered FWIW...
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:34 PM by JMartJr » Logged
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 04:15 PM »

Enough with the "IT" already.

The guy may be a kite counterfeiter but he is still a person for crying out loud.

Unrepentant counterfeiters have lost the right to be considered a person.

Ron
711jrp

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 05:39 PM »

Am looking at a sport-kite related design, and if there is interest I'll add more options.

Hey just a thought why don't you use a picture of Rons Machine, shawns Viper or Daves Instigator.

I'm with Jim on this,leave the poor fella alone.Look at you lot all jumping up and down, you should clean your own house first.

Pigs might fly, but only if you bridle them right!!

Pete
siajauren

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2010, 07:55 AM »

Next Copy Kite will do by this Fella

Following Photo is still in proto type in my hand, the fella was scanned into his mind, Next "IT" copy kite will be in kite festival.
Please be careful, I am sure this kite will be in some place for sales 

Follow is the video fly

http://vid388.photobucket.com/albums/oo322/siajauren/17102009017.flv"

The kite Know your character before you know it will fly
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2010, 08:03 AM »

very neat looking...........i am trying to get the video now...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
siajauren

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 08:04 AM »

The following copy Kite In his hand as follow photo

Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed :'( :'( :'( :'(

The kite Know your character before you know it will fly
thief

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 08:07 AM »

http://s388.photobucket.com/albums/oo322/siajauren/?action=view&current=17102009017.flv

711jrp

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 09:07 AM »

PLEASE someone tell me that's an official Rev in siajaurens video album.

Let he without sin cast the first stone!!

Pete
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 04:12 PM »

PLEASE someone tell me that's an official Rev in siajaurens video album.

Let he without sin cast the first stone!!

I doubt it is any more official than any of Lam Hoac's "Revs" that he has entered into AKA kite making competitions, or Kevin Sanders KaoS "Revs" that I fly in kite festivals around the world, or any number of other custom "Revs" that people have made for personal use over the years.  But the vast majority of us don't make these kites for profitable sale, and we definitely don't counterfeit the kites and pretend they are genuine Revs.

In my own case, I can assure you I have purchased a genuine Rev for each skin I have made, and used all the fittings from the purchased Rev to complete my own.  (I can't speak for Lam, but the frames and fittings on his kites are genuine Rev).  I have also never sold a custom sail.  Does this justify my actions?  Maybe not, but I do feel it demonstrates a genuine attempt on my part to acknowledge the manufacturer's right to compensation for a currently available product.

AND!!!  I have taken the time and courtesy to speak to Revolution about my use of my own sails.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
711jrp

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 05:17 PM »

Kevin, I agree with you on every point you made 100% without a shadow of doubt, in fact it seems your ethics are very much in line with mine.I too have made quite a few custom revs check out my avatar, some that caused quite a stir with the Rev faithful on the other forum. I have never sold one for a profit in any way, if any money changed hands it was to cover costs and that's all.I too only use rev frames and fittings.BUT....

I've got broad shoulders so here goes.
I believe that with every one of our rev that takes to the sky something is stolen from Rev;
With a complete rip off it the price of a complete rev,
with one that uses a Rev frame it's the price of the sail,
and in your case where you have bought a complete Rev it's product placement in the market place. Now on the face of it that doesn't sound too bad but it's just telling people it's OK to buy a complete rip off.
Well do I care? quite frankly I don't, you have to do what you're comfortable with,as I eluded to in my earlier post the whole kite industry is based somewhat in pauperism.

All I am saying is if you are going to vilify someone, you better make sure you are whiter than snow and not some dodgy grey colour as he now looks.

Pete
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 11:02 PM »

I believe that with every one of our rev that takes to the sky something is stolen from Rev;

with one that uses a Rev frame it's the price of the sail and in your case where you have bought a complete Rev it's product placement in the market place. Now on the face of it that doesn't sound too bad but it's just telling people it's OK to buy a complete rip off.

I genuinely don't know where to draw the line... but consider this scenario. 

I buy a BMW motor car and drive it around for a few months.  Then I decide to buy some fancy (non BMW) wheels for it, some (non BMW) shockers and exhaust system, an after market carbon body kite (non BMW) and get it painted a totally different colour at a local repair shop.  To recoup some of the costs, I sell the original parts. 

Have I stolen something from BMW?  By your reckoning, maybe I have, and honestly it isn't something I've considered before.  Talk about shades of grey!  Smiley

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
711jrp

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 02:10 AM »

I'm liking you more and more Kevin lol

It' funny that you should use this as an example because BMW did in fact take a load of firms to court over here in the 90s for doing just that.BMW stated they were bringing their name into disrepute.Now they were firms and not private individuals.BMW won.

How about if you took a 540 sport v8 and put it in your ute,no foul? Rolls Royce took a fella from round my corner to court over that and and won, It was very well published in the 70s.

All I'm saying is they shouldn't pick one fella out, while others can do the same thing and get away with it because they are well liked kite builders.

Pete
thief

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 04:45 AM »

one of the bigger things to remember specifically about Rev's is that for many years now they have allowed you to make your own version....not for sale but for personal use......you used to be able to purchase an emblem to verify that you had checked with them on your own kite....and that memory is still in a lot of kite builder's minds....
i know that if you were lucky enough to get Sabby to make you a skin you had to provide him a rev to switch out....i think that idea works just fine here....

711jrp

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 05:07 AM »

I am aware of the logo purchasing thing, in fact Rev have even put a leading edge on and finished a skin for people for a price.

You have to understand Rev are smart, very smart and that policy is just damage limitation.

Pete
kiten00b
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010, 12:01 AM »

With a complete rip off it the price of a complete rev,
with one that uses a Rev frame it's the price of the sail,
and in your case where you have bought a complete Rev it's product placement in the market place. Now on the face of it that doesn't sound too bad but it's just telling people it's OK to buy a complete rip off.
so, if I make a 4 oz cheeseburger at home, I'm taking $ out of McDonalds' pockets?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document