GWTW Forum
April 18, 2014, 01:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COPY CAT kite Manufacture  (Read 16119 times)
Lex B
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2010, 02:05 PM »

they obviously were not worried about someone using their r&d
I even dare say Rev benefited from inventions and ideas worked out by some [of us] who tried copying a rev for personal use, and adding a bit "of them selves".

remember: amateurs built the ark ..
professionals built the Titanic.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2010, 09:27 PM »

My laptop nearly exploded it got so hot from running that page..

Shocked Roll Eyes

Aha... it's working  Grin Excellent.

Mike,
you should see some of the others.
n893
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2010, 07:12 AM »

Tan is making super bad image of china... and he push young kite maker in china to bad corner... we all had to banned him to come to kite festival arround... because even he didnt show his copy kite... he will try to copy every kite he saw...

Please dont let this happend any longer...
 Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
crunchie
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2010, 08:07 AM »

Sadly, there is not much you can do about the problem in general.

Trademark, copyright etc... its very difficult to have those respected in other countries. Sure there are treaties and such, but to enforce them is very very costly. I'd be surprised if Rev, which is one of the top kite producer, would have even close to that kind of cash lying around to sue international.

Basically, when you start making goods that are much more expensive than the material it takes to build it, you should know that if you are successful eventually you will be copied by China. You just have to take it into account. You can't hide it, you can be in denial mode however you want, the problem is not going to go away.

If your business plan took that into account in the first place, then you have nothing to worry about.

If you never took that into account and its killing your business... well... you probably should of given it some thought before dumping all that cash to start up your business, its not 100% the fault of Tan Bo Wink

Its like shoplifting. Its illegal, and it will never stop, but stores take it into account and they calculate it in their business plan.

I'm not saying that its right, I'm just saying that there is not much you can do about it, except analyze it and try to figure out if your company can survive even though it exists (and will continue to exist). If you did a good job about it, you will manage.

On the other hand, I do not even go into the debate of what happens if you do not protect (patent) your inventions correctly and someone legally copies your kite [or whatever you made]. We can always debate that its immoral. But its clearly not illegal, they should be allowed to sell it.
n893

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2010, 05:55 AM »

it's just super dupper Immoral act of Tan... he should realize how young generation will become if he still do that...
 Sad Sad Sad
try1897

« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2010, 12:17 AM »

Ok .. Someone go to McGills warehouse / Great American  and look over the kites sold there HuhHuh? I got a stunt kite for 10 bucks plus shipping and flew it today and it thunders. The kite pulls a ton and roars as it dives ( cool sound ) so looking it over the quality looks fine and well made  It's the K44 model and is 8'7" x 27.5"  so it's a big kite ...Heres the thing I'm new to stunt kites and last year I got an X kite from Wallyworld a small stunt kite that I couldn't fly to save my a** and gave up . I'd spent 20 dollars for it and never got it to fly. Along the way I got a bunch of single line stuff and have been having a blast doing that . All the while thinking that stunters were just out of my ability. So along comes a 2 line parafoil from McGills and I got one cheep and started fooling around with it and soon got good enough to fly it and have fun with just the pull of the thing. It's a 3M x 1M parafoil that costs nearly nothing. I did spring for quality lines as the ones that come with it are rather cheeze. Anyway that led to another try at stunt flying and so I ordered the K44 and found out I can fly stunt kites all be it a bit shaky I can keep the kite in the air most of the time and like I said it Roars and Pulls a ton and is lots of Fun. Now that kite is 10 dollars or so and has got to be from China... No name or numbers of anykind on it. But it's all I can afford for a kite that I didn't even think I could fly in the first place. and now I'm able to so are you guys mad at me for my stupidity and the fact that I'm poor and live on disability in the slums..... Lots of us that strugle to pay the bills don't have 2 or 3 hundred to drop on a kite. Were it not for the cheepie stuff  there would be no stuff at all and I'd be sitting over ther watching you guy's with a tear in my eye. Tom ....60 years old this year

TRY Mayfly
ezme6
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2010, 05:19 AM »

+1  Smiley

"Do what you like"
n893

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2010, 06:12 AM »

dilemma... Cry Cry Cry
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2010, 06:34 AM »

Ok .. Someone go to McGills warehouse / Great American  and look over the kites sold there HuhHuh? I got a stunt kite for 10 bucks plus shipping and flew it today and it thunders. The kite pulls a ton and roars as it dives ( cool sound ) so looking it over the quality looks fine and well made  It's the K44 model and is 8'7" x 27.5"  so it's a big kite ...Heres the thing I'm new to stunt kites and last year I got an X kite from Wallyworld a small stunt kite that I couldn't fly to save my a** and gave up . I'd spent 20 dollars for it and never got it to fly. Along the way I got a bunch of single line stuff and have been having a blast doing that . All the while thinking that stunters were just out of my ability. So along comes a 2 line parafoil from McGills and I got one cheep and started fooling around with it and soon got good enough to fly it and have fun with just the pull of the thing. It's a 3M x 1M parafoil that costs nearly nothing. I did spring for quality lines as the ones that come with it are rather cheeze. Anyway that led to another try at stunt flying and so I ordered the K44 and found out I can fly stunt kites all be it a bit shaky I can keep the kite in the air most of the time and like I said it Roars and Pulls a ton and is lots of Fun. Now that kite is 10 dollars or so and has got to be from China... No name or numbers of anykind on it. But it's all I can afford for a kite that I didn't even think I could fly in the first place. and now I'm able to so are you guys mad at me for my stupidity and the fact that I'm poor and live on disability in the slums..... Lots of us that strugle to pay the bills don't have 2 or 3 hundred to drop on a kite. Were it not for the cheepie stuff  there would be no stuff at all and I'd be sitting over ther watching you guy's with a tear in my eye. Tom ....60 years old this year

Tom have a very valid point. Legitimacy of copyright in kites has been a long and outstanding topic that is slowly getting old but one side effect of it is that it makes the "serious flyers" kite scene a very clique-ish, exclusive and sometimes elitist phenomenon

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
try1897

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2010, 08:15 AM »

So Has anyone checked out the McGills stuff? You know the only reason I got in this thread was because people just gotta know there are people like me that have little or know money to spend on this stuff and as long as thats so ,.....,.....well I just want you all to know about the other side of that coin   uh  fence uh and what it's like to live on the other side of town... That being said . I was in court once and the judge said , concerning stolen property, didn't you realize that when that guy offered to sell you a 500 dollar T.V. for 25 bucks that It might be stolen?    Well heres a kite for 10 dollars and change ....So .......Is it stolen Huh?? I have two of them right here in my livingroom and I really am wondering how it would be posible to sell a kite like this for 10 bucks  and still make a profit... This is strange but lets say this guy is lagit. He paid for a design and is having it made in China and selling it for 10 dollars... well that makes me think that if you pay 300 for a similar eight foot stunt kite you are padding someones bank account big time. Whats the profit margin gotta be on that?  Like I said this don't seem right...>>   ....Tom poor old Tom

TRY Mayfly
st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2010, 08:26 AM »

well  Tom I  understand  Poor   been that way  most of my life   that being  said  the reason that you can pay 10 dollars and change on a copy  kite is because  there was  no R&D  put  into  plus  the craftmanship in itor should I say lack  there off    plus the  matrial used in it   plus  the   childen they used   to make  it  alot  of  copy cat makers    make  un safe  kite  and  use very  very  cheap   matrial  and  the  kite   do not   fly  like  the   origanls    IMHO   does  it  make  you a  bad  person  to  buy a  copy cat  kite    not  at all.

Good air always Bobby
ezme6
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2010, 01:25 PM »

Very well said Darryl... Cool

"Do what you like"
try1897

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2010, 08:08 PM »

I still want to hear what you guys think about the stunt kites being sold at McGillswarehouse / GreatAmerican  are they copys or notThe one in question is the K44for a sale price of $10.92 plus shipping. Is this a copy or not a copy???I can tell you it flys nice and pulls hard and thunders as it dives . The kite is nylon but not rip-stop. It is double stitched and the sewing is good. It seems to be a well made kite and should last.  Due to the fact that it is so large I was actually able to fly it reasonably well and I'm finally on the learning curve. Thats a plus in my book.Don't get me wrong I'm all for rights and whatnot of the designers but is it is or is it isn't a copy cat kite?Huh  Poor Old Tom

TRY Mayfly
crunchie
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2010, 09:03 PM »

I don't think its a copy. I've seen the kite before on the field. Its ok to learn the basisc. Turn, land etc... In fact, good to learn landings, you won't be loosing much if you break the kite Wink

Except that, its heavy as hell, won't trick, and needs lots of wind. If you have never used a stunt kite, I think, for the price, its a good deal. But it will only get you so far.

And you will need lots of wind to get it going, its heavy as hell.

As long as its not a copy, I have no problem with cheap kites. Maybe thats whats going to get you hooked Smiley Its a cheap way to see if you are going to like kiting or not.

try1897

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2010, 09:29 PM »

Yea it's big and heavy but thats part of the thing. Check out Into the wind catalog page 8 and they sell a Kratos for 89 dollars . and I quote. Remember when the hottest stunt kites were anything but subtle? Big loud and hard pulling they were so much fun it was contagious. A big beast thats built to last the Kratos voices that old time excitement with a mighty roar.  It goes on to say rip stop nylon fiberglass spars 8'5"x3'6"16.8-oz.  Sounds like me all the way and at 89 dollars is almost within reach....But for now the 10 dollar 90 cent cousin really does pull a ton and roars when at speed and I find that cool as s**t ........Let me ask  is 16.8oz. heavy ?  I'll weigh the K44 and we'll see how it stacks up ....... By the way I like the hard pulling higher wind stuff and I'm building a kart for the 3 Meter parafoil to pull around... I may need a bigger one though....Poor Old Tom

TRY Mayfly
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography