GWTW Forum
September 20, 2014, 07:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: two way radio headsets  (Read 3275 times)
glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: March 19, 2009, 06:23 AM »

I think I've seen in some videos (maybe iQuad?) people using headsets to communicate calls over wind and (dare we hope?) crowd noise. This strikes me as a good tool for practice, even with pairs. So - can anybody give me some suggestions for what to look for and where to look? It would also be convenient to be able to feed it with an MP3 player. I have seen some devices that allow multiple people to wirelessly listen to the same music source, but they don't seem to incorporate the two way aspect I'd like.

Any pointers?

Thanks - Larry
Shamrocky
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 10:42 AM »

I think I've seen in some videos (maybe iQuad?) people using headsets to communicate calls over wind and (dare we hope?) crowd noise. This strikes me as a good tool for practice, even with pairs. So - can anybody give me some suggestions for what to look for and where to look? It would also be convenient to be able to feed it with an MP3 player. I have seen some devices that allow multiple people to wirelessly listen to the same music source, but they don't seem to incorporate the two way aspect I'd like.

Any pointers?

Thanks - Larry

Such a device would be great.  It might encourage more people to fly teams. 
I would like to try flying pairs with hubby, but with the wind and his hearing, we will have problems.  If you share some info about this comment your wrote:

I have seen some devices that allow multiple people to wirelessly listen to the same music source,

That would be a help.   

Thank You........Shamrocky
EBGB

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 12:30 PM »

Sharing music is pretty straight forward.

There are lots of small FM transmitters available that you can plug into your portable CD player or MP3 player.
Then all you need are regular FM radios for each person.

Concept is simple - execution is more complicated (isnt' it always?)
The quality and output power of the transmitter is key. Fairly recent changes to FCC regulations mean that most of the transmitters have a hard time going more than a few feet. Transmitters with analog tuning tend to wander off frequency as they warm up.

If you want to talk to each other at the same time, it gets more complicated.
There are FM intercoms that work pretty well. Motorcycle riders use them to talk with their passengers and other riders. Adding music back into the mix gets complicated though.
Most of these systems only allow one radio to transmit at a time. 
Working something out with FRS/GMRS radios would probably work, but it's probably against FCC regs.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 01:13 PM »

The 180Go! quad team has headsets which I believe are just for hearing the leader's calls. If Mike Kory or one the crew doesn't chime in there, check their club forum for info:

http://ikeclub.org

The FM transmitters for music tend to work best in areas where there is free bandwidth. In my area there is no space on the dial, and they are pretty much useless. We tried 'em for pairs practice a while back and ended up returning them. Great idea though. Wish I flew at the beach.

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 01:16 PM »

You need voice activated. Don't go with a boom mic though but something that operates through the ear buds. In winds a boom mic would possibly pick-up too much wind noise activating the broadcast feature and since most inexpensive ones won't be two way multiplexed they can't recieve & transmit at the same time so you'll have very intermitent communication at best.

Zune's could share music I thought, but there are FM transmitters for many players that allow you to run them through your car radio, as long as the players have an FM Tuner too using a dual plug you should be able to broadcast from one and recieve on the other. Mixing voice with the music stream would be great but unless somebody has come out with it, and I'm thinking there's not a real big market for such a device, working that up yourself would be do-able but you'd need a good grasp of electronic design.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
melnsct
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 01:30 PM »

These work for streaming music with as many people as you want:
http://www.i2igear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=IS200
I can't help with broadcasting voice.

Melanie in Tennessee
c2thew
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 01:58 PM »

wow, kiting in the new age.  i can see this wireless setup in a backpack while everyone else is rocking some shades and headphones.

this would be a great product addition to revolution kites.  buy the kite and the transmitter for teams in a one stop shop.

Crandall
Weekend hobbyist
 (wish list) rev b series, white pyro delta the 20 foot model?

http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty5
http://tinyurl.com/KiteP6
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty7
http://tinyurl.com/KiteParty9
KiteParty10 (coming soon)

My Kite Bag: http://tinyurl.com/795dn9g
glk47
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 03:37 PM »

Shamrocky -

I had already heard of the i2i Stream gadget melnsct referred to. It's one-way and I don't think it has any provision for voice.

Larry
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 09:40 PM »

You know we're all dancing around the obvious here, at least as far as communications. Why not just use your cell phones? Most have free nights and weekends, when most of us fly anyway. In our case we are on a Family Plan so calls between our phones are free anytime. They are multiplexed for simultaneous communication and we already paid for them.

Clip your Jabbra on one ear and your iPod in the other and go to town.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:44 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
EBGB

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 12:17 PM »

The other parties in the call couldn't hear your iPod, unless there was nothing between one ear and the other.  Wink

A little custom wiring on a wired headset and you might be able to mix in music.

A few sticks short of a full frame.
Jeff

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 03:23 PM »

You need voice activated. Don't go with a boom mic though but something that operates through the ear buds. In winds a boom mic would possibly pick-up too much wind noise activating the broadcast feature and since most inexpensive ones won't be two way multiplexed they can't recieve & transmit at the same time so you'll have very intermitent communication at best.

Actually, you don't want voice activated. VOX is not quick enough. It keys the radio in response to a sound, but that takes a moment to register. If you call..."now" while the radio is not keyed, you will likely miss the entire word as the radio won't be transmitting until a moment after. Unless for whatever reason you don't mind the lag or don't need that immediacy.

Now, for our purpose, the communication is really only one way. We don't talk back to the caller anyway, so having him broadcast all the time is not a problem...it's actually desired.

Boom mics actually work rather well. It can be positioned more in front of your face, and since you're standing with your back to the wind, you get some shielding from the wind noise...plus some have decent wind guards.

You know we're all dancing around the obvious here, at least as far as communications. Why not just use your cell phones? Most have free nights and weekends, when most of us fly anyway. In our case we are on a Family Plan so calls between our phones are free anytime. They are multiplexed for simultaneous communication and we already paid for them.

Clip your Jabbra on one ear and your iPod in the other and go to town.
That would give us a problem too. There is substantial delay through the cellular networks. Bluetooth devices add to the delay. If you can hear the person both through the device and directly at the same time, you get a disorienting echo. Sometimes it is a full second late.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 03:25 PM by Jeff » Logged

and
Mike

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 05:38 PM »

That would give us a problem too. There is substantial delay through the cellular networks. Bluetooth devices add to the delay. If you can hear the person both through the device and directly at the same time, you get a disorienting echo. Sometimes it is a full second late.
It can be fun to play with the delay. Here's something I did recently. I called my son who was right next to me. I put my phone on speaker-phone and held it near his phone. Then I said something and with the delay the two phones went into a continuous loop/echo, saying my word over and over again, ad infinitum. Wink

Well, I thought it was fun...

Mike Kory
and
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document