GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 02:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fades  (Read 7653 times)
chrispie
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 06:21 PM »

anyone here can post a vid to show an example of a fractured axel to fade?

I try not to use the flare to fade as it requires sooooooo much throw before u pull into the fade in high wind (and god helps you if you failed... THUD!)

As of now, I do a spin up (say clockwise), when nose is pointing at the 2 oclock or so, i input a half axel, then pop with my right hand to get the fade.. currently has about 50% success rate (especially in high wind as i always dont pop hard enough). I wonder if this is what you guys call the Fracture axecl -> fade...

Thanks for all the valuable input and a very Happy Chinese New Year to everyone!

Decide . Commit . Succeed
My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 06:35 PM »

Have you checked out this site?

http://cid-268807a1b99b3f7c.profile.live.com/Lists/cns!268807A1B99B3F7C!103/

6 kite tom
chrispie

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 02:43 AM »

Have you checked out this site?

http://cid-268807a1b99b3f7c.profile.live.com/Lists/cns!268807A1B99B3F7C!103/

of coz i did. The tutorials are just awesome. Cheesy

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 03:40 AM »

I don't have a video, but what you are describing is a good start I think.  Now you should work on trying to make the pull to the fade more of a two handed operation.  While what you are doing feels like it should work (and it does), I think it will be the very subtle addition of tension on the other hand that will increase your success rate from here.

You'll be pleased when you get this one down.  JLs are pretty straight forward when you enter this way, as are backspins, backspin cascades, and the mighty Lewis. 

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
bryan beasley

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 07:06 AM »

One thing to be conscious of...

Fracturing an axel to get into the fade is possibly easier than flare - fade depending on the kite, but until you're comfortable with it, there's a tendancy to end in a screwy, unbalanced fade as the kite's still rotating -try to learn to fracture right and left handed axels at the same time as well.

Bryan
chrispie

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 07:14 AM »

is Fractured AXel = Half Axel?

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
bryan beasley

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 07:29 AM »

No, a Fractured Axel is an Axel that's been Fractured.
A 1/2 Axel is 1/2 an Axel - ie. 180 degree rotation instead of 360.

Usually 1/2 axels are entered horizontally, exiting flying the opposite way (though you can of course do 'em flying up, down, diagonally, top wing, bottom wing - whatever you fancy really)

Bryan
anOldMan

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 07:55 AM »

is Fractured AXel = Half Axel?

This is probably splitting hairs but No they are not the same other than the word "Axel".

The Fractured axel is a breaking the the normal action of am Axel to perform some other trick or movement of the kite that is not associated with the axel movement. The sequence is: stall the kite, pop the lower wing so the kites nose goes into a flat belly down 360 rotation. The flyer fractures the axel movement before the end of the 360 flat turn. One of the places to fracture the axel movement is when the kite is in the Flare position. A two handed pop will put the kite into a Fade position and away the flyer goes.

The Half axel is as  Bryan states above. There is no stall to set-up the half axel. You release the lower wing (give it slack) and pop the upper wing and give slack to the upper wing hand. This will rotate the kite into 180 flat spin with the kite going through the same Flare position as the full axel. When the nose points in the opposite direction as you entered the trick. You power up the kite by pulling both hands to the neutral position and fly away in the opposite direction. When the kite is in the flare position, the flyer can perform the same two handed pop to the fade.

To perform either of these tricks in high wind requires a lot of running down wind because slack is required for the flat spin rotation. Or you do the tricks at the edge of the wind window. But then you are not really flying in high wind (spliting hairs again).   Smiley

Any time the kite moves through the Flare position, at a slow rate) you should be able to go to a fade and then beyond. But don't stay around in the Fade for long. Do a Fade and go movement. Trying to hold a Fade in high wing is an exercise in line control and foot movement. Which is good if you can do it but may lead to some frustration.  Wink

Remember, have fun.
aOM
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:03 AM by anOldMan » Logged

Hill  :-? :-?   What hill?   I don't remember any HILL!!  :-? :-?

anOldMan
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 07:55 AM »

Someone may have mentioned this up thread but I really like the Half Axel to Fade move. You're flying across the window and ba-bam!!...Fade.  Nail it with a flat stable Fade and you're golden. Until the next time you wife reminds you how pedestrian you really are.  Sad

chrispie

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2010, 08:43 AM »

ok, back to the topic on Fractured Axel.

So far i can do half axels and the normal axels.. just need a visual idea of what is a fractured one.

I found this animation :
axel Animation Test

So am I right to say that at the 12th second, during the flat belly rotation, pull with both hands to 'Fracture' this axel and draw it into the fade is what you guys are talking about?

And this is the half axel to fade, pretty straight fwd.
halfaxel to fade

My Poisons:
-Eolo Genesis
-Flying Wings Airwave
-Widowmaker Std Custom
-Talon UL
-Talon Std
anOldMan

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2010, 08:49 AM »

So am I right to say that at the 12th second, during the flat belly rotation, pull with both hands to 'Fracture' this axel and draw it into the fade is what you guys are talking about?

You've got it.  Wink

anOldMan
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010, 12:10 PM »

You can also do the one-hand input axel to fade, which I think is the easiest because you don't need to worry about waiting for the "pancake" portion of the axel before the pull to the fade.

You just axel with one hand (a spin-axel type axel, no need to stall) and then pull the non-axeling hand to lift the nose up, then catch the fade with both lines equally.  It doesn't look very nice, but it works well. 

Many folks do it this way, so its easy to find videos to study.

6 kite tom
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2010, 06:16 PM »

You just axel with one hand (a spin-axel type axel, no need to stall) and then pull the non-axeling hand to lift the nose up, then catch the fade with both lines equally.

Pull the non-axeling hand about 45 degrees before the pancake, give or take a little depending on kite, position in the window, and conditions.

Conditions:  If you've had a beer or two, start about 90 degrees before the pancake and the timing will be perfect!!!!!!   Wink

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
jaydub

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2010, 11:12 PM »

Pull the non-axeling hand about 45 degrees before the pancake, give or take a little depending on kite, position in the window, and conditions.
Craig,

Struggling a bit visualising what you mean by pulling the non-axeling hand about 45 degrees before the pancake.  Any chance you could explain in more detail.

Thanks,

Jon
anOldMan

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 12:02 AM »

You can also do the one-hand input axel to fade, which I think is the easiest because you don't need to worry about waiting for the "pancake" portion of the axel before the pull to the fade.

You just axel with one hand (a spin-axel type axel, no need to stall) and then pull the non-axeling hand to lift the nose up, then catch the fade with both lines equally.  It doesn't look very nice, but it works well. 

Many folks do it this way, so its easy to find videos to study.

This is a rolling Fade and the only tutorial that I have seen showing the type of enterence into the Fade is on Benson's TricK or Treat DVD.

For me, the hardest part of getting to the Fade this way is catching the Fade and trying to stop the kite from rolliong out of the Fade. The slower that you do the roll of the kite the easier it is to catch the Fade and hold it. Or you do not try to hold the Fade but as the kite goes into the Fade position you start executing the Fade trick that you wanted to do (Backspin, JL, etc.).  Smiley

anOldMan
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change